'an' HDB flat or 'a' HDB flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Saw this on second page of today's paper.

../azul123

Get an life already.

I would have to go with "an HDB".

Just like it is not an honorable thing to tickle an elephant with a eucalyptus leaf.

I would have to go with "an HDB".

Just like it is not an honorable thing to tickle an elephant with a eucalyptus leaf.
Same point as one of my children versus another, though different words. What say others?

../azul123

"Honourable" is an exception to the usage of "a" because the it is a silent "H".

so.. it is a HDB flat.

So what was printed in the papers? I would have expected Straits Times editors to possess a better command of the language.

"Honourable" is an exception to the usage of "a" because the it is a silent "H".

so.. it is a HDB flat.

So what was printed in the papers? I would have expected Straits Times editors to possess a better command of the language.
**** does happen
i would go for a HDB flat.. cos we say a house. A housing estate. so what makes Housing Development special?

Paper printed an HBD.

But the argument from another child was that the actual word is a Housing Development Board flat and it is changed into an ancronym 'HDB' so shouldn't that stay the same? as a HDB flat. I thought this was more right, but never said a word supporting one over the other. :)

../azul123

Typo, paper printed an HDB, not HBD.

../azul123

+1 for singlish :bsmilie:

Anyway, I hope that it was a typo rather than an outright error. ST should really be mindful as they are the leading newspaper. In the same way Kompas (a national Indonesia newspaper) takes great pains to ensure a high standard of Bahasa Indonesia in their papers, compared to some of the regional papers and tons of tabloids.

you're right on the pronunciation of the "H".. but does it have anything to do with the usage of "a" and "an"?

I was under the impression that the premise for usage of either depends on whether the "H" is silent or not.

It depends on where you come from really. My country that used to teach british english (laser, colour, apologise) is currently overrun by youngsters who spend too much time online with US english and their way of speech (lazer, color, etc..) now many can't even make up their mind whether they want to apologise to the lazer or the laser to apologize to them.

I was taught to read H(Haitch) and Z (zed) not edge and zee.

So for those whose schools teach US English will read H as eitch will an HDB (because they thought the H was an E), myself who was taught UK English read H (haitch) will give it a HDB (because H is not a vowel).

counter from the first one child who said, an HDB is right.

"So, you would say, an Urban Redevelopment Authority spokesman = an URA spokesman?" doesn't sound right, should be a URA spokesman. :)

Me? I think:
a Housing Development Board flat = a HDB flat.

As for the URA piece it would be.. an Urban Redevelopment Authority spokesman = this time 'a' URA spokesman.

../azul123

Anyway, house is silent liow, I think they agree to disagree :)

../azul123

pronunciation is one thing. but written form is quite another isn't it?
yeah. It's mainly attributed to how you were taught to read the 'H' with an 'E' (eitch) or 'H' (Haitch). The US does it with an E so an H, the UK does it with a H so a H.
This press editor must have been taught the US way of "eitch". Too much sesame street guys..

I tot the usage of 'an' will base on A, E, I, O, U of the following word!:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.