an encounter with plagiarism - or if it is considered at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faa

Jun 25, 2004
www.flickr.com
hi all,

would like to hear some advise from the more seasoned photographers or also anyone who had gone through design school on the issue of grabbing someone's idea and passing off as ur own.

currently taking a photography course in sch and we were supposed to come up with a series of conceptual photos (typical photo assignment) in a photo essay format.

so happen that there is this student from another class whose works are really good and the teacher decides to share with her students from every other class.

and coincidentally, a classmate of mine did a similar theme with tat student with outstanding works and when the teacher was showing off his work, my friend was dumbfounded. the supposedly outstanding peice of work was actually a rip off of idea which my friend actually found in flickr.

my friend came across this series of work while he was sourcing for ideas on flickr before his shoot.

the art direction was the same, the treatment was the same, and even the framing of some photos was precisely same!

in a dilemma now.. shud we sound off this to the teacher?

hope to hear some advice/opinions from here.. thanks!

Yes. You should absolutely bring this to the teacher's attention. Even an anonymous e-mail tip-off will help. Cheats like that don't deserve to flourish.

would like to add that the mise-en-scene was even same lor.. :sweat::sweat:

yah.. most probably will give it to him la.. sigh.. why got such people sia..

Think about the other people... All put in a lot of effort, and he just rips off someone else's idea and then gets highest marks...

worse is if the student becomes teacher's pet after.

EXPOSE!

unis are crazy strict on plagarism, plagarise and you get expelled. soething needs to be done, especially since this cannot even pass as a coincidence if you say that his poses and framing is ripped.

Don't know which school you are from, but I am studying in the School of Film and Media Studies, and here, on every module, without exception, the school is very strict on plagiarism. Passing off someone else's work as your own isn't honest, there is no effort, integrity, or real skill put into it. Expose the plagiarising culprit for who he is.

and coincidentally, a classmate of mine did a similar theme with tat student with outstanding works and when the teacher was showing off his work, my friend was dumbfounded. the supposedly outstanding peice of work was actually a rip off of idea which my friend actually found in flickr.

my friend came across this series of work while he was sourcing for ideas on flickr before his shoot.

the art direction was the same, the treatment was the same, and even the framing of some photos was precisely same!

in a dilemma now.. shud we sound off this to the teacher?

hope to hear some advice/opinions from here.. thanks!

i would like to hear a more detailed description;

because you make it sound as if every photo is an exact carbon copy; but how far does the resemblance go?

i would like to hear a more detailed description;

because you make it sound as if every photo is an exact carbon copy; but how far does the resemblance go?

its a series of photos that revolve ard a common theme.. and for 2 of the shots, it is the exact replica of the framing, the pose and the photoshop done to it.. yah..

its a series of photos that revolve ard a common theme.. and for 2 of the shots, it is the exact replica of the framing, the pose and the photoshop done to it.. yah..

institutions of higher learning do not tolerate plagarism.

but hor...

it really depends on the picture (becoz we nv see) and exactly how similar the pics and the "original" works are. does the photos comes with captions? maybe ur friend was trying to explain it in a different feel?

i think the most u can do is just email ur lecturer/tutor abt this. send him the link and tell what u think. ask him/her for an explaination of what he/she thinks is plagarism.

rem, do this tactfully and think b4 u send the email. it concerns ur classmates future.

Last edited:
institutions of higher learning do not tolerate plagarism.

but hor...

it really depends on the picture (becoz we nv see) and exactly how similar the pics and the "original" works are. does the photos comes with captions? maybe ur friend was trying to explain it in a different feel?

i think the most u can do is just email ur lecturer/tutor abt this. send him the link and tell what u think. ask him/her for an explaination of what he/she thinks is plagarism.

rem, do this tactfully and think b4 u send the email. it concerns ur classmates future.

thanks for the advice..

how many photos is the entire series?

Status
Not open for further replies.