An empty seat

Adrian1987

Dec 13, 2010
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
My first time taking such photos and I thought it lacked something. Seeking C&C.

zm1hl5.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I think the main thing is there is something wrong with the composition? Is the exposure enough or?
2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The cold, lonely feeling.
3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
On contrary, it was actually a happy day out around 6am to wait for the sunrise when I saw this bench at the corner under a dim light. Suddenly felt I had to capture that moment.
4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I thought it was a really good moment and not too bad for a first try. But I'ld still like the usual "painful" remarks so that I can improve. Let me know what I have to change though. :)

Cheers~

it is indeed not bad for a first try. Exposure wise and composition wise, i think it's ok. For me, I would like a living aspect in the photo, like a cat or plant to add an extra "oomph"

hello there. was wandering around here so i decided to drop in and give a quick critique on the your image.

i don't think there is anything wrong with your composition here except for the small little fact is that the horizon could've have used a little tilting. try using the vertical wall as your reference point.

i feel that the simplicity of this picture caught my eye here. with just the light, walls, bench and shadow being the characters of your image. personally, i kinda like it.

however, i feel that this shot was lacking something, and that's contrast. i think you can try to kill off the shadows making it go black and the little light above the bench will just illuminate it ever so slightly. i think that would evoke the emotion you are trying to bring across with the picture.

and since this picture is mostly just shades of gray complemented with the dull brown of the bench, i think a black and white treatment for this photograph would be better.

just-saying.

well.. cheers!

Last edited:
I think also if you captured in RAW and rotate it to the left a bit, should come out ok lor :)

Good evening, Adrian1987.
While our good fellow members discuss the technical aspects, allow me to perhaps pen down my personal thoughts.
Agreeably, the main theme of this shot is the empty chair (bench, in this case).
I would have perhaps treated this shot by:
  • Burning the background (by means of burning and dodging in photoshop) and/or adding a vignette, to really darken that bright part on the right side behind the wall. This would draw attention away from that bit of distraction.
  • Dodging the chair itself to brighten it, so that the viewers' lines of sight are directed right to the main subject.

As this is a low-key piece of work that emphasizes on higher contrast, it is fine, in my humble opinion, to employ a little bit more of dodging and burning to bring out the atmosphere and the effect that you would like to achieve.

Thanks all for the comments and compliments!

I'll try it out in B&W when I get home.. and yeah.. seems a little tilted.. I'll try harder next time!