an appeal for providing constructive comments when you rate photos in the galleries

Status
Not open for further replies.

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
I had brought up this issue before, but seems like nobody is interested.

But I will highlight this again, just incase some has not seen my last thread on this issue.

Pls provide the reason as to why you give the rating. It is of no use for us to who post our photos here if all we get is numbers. It does not help us to improve our photogarphy skills.

Thanks.

ya agree!, for some reason just because the person doesn't like the photo and give rating only 1, please provide a reason.

Good call, Dennis ! Even if the people giving comments are not able to articulate what they'd like to see different, at least they can say "I don't like this angle of view" or something else ... to give the posting photographer food for thought.

Simply posting "I dun like it" (mangled English word intentionally left in ;) ) doesn't really help that much, other than make the photographer go "why ?".

you must understand that photography is subjective and people are lazy..

there're many shots in there that people have given a rating of 1 or 2 but i feel that they should have been given a 10. as for constructive comments - not everybody would bother.. you can call for it but most people just can't be bothered.

rather than look at what they did not do, look at what they did instead... they actually bothered to rate the picture.... how many would bother ? not me.

it's difficult ... i mean this is a website for photography enthusiasts, not just photography professionals, one has to be prepared for public opinions, whether concerning or not concerning photography matters. but i still support the call for constructive comments, as much as the photographer is responsible for the work, the viewer is responsible for the 'vote', since the act of voting has already put the viewer in the position of critique. cheers :)

sequitur said:

I fully agree, and guilty as charged, too ! :sweatsm:

I've re-read my post, and if it sounded preachy I apologise, that wasn't the intent. The idea is to get people to say something helpful to the photographer ... and to paraphrase eikin, if they took the time to rate, maybe they can take just a bit more time to help. Speaking for myself, I know I'd welcome constructive comments, or even comments that allow me to draw my own conclusions (even if they end up wrong !).

yeah actually constructive comments do help.

actually even snubbish comments do help - because at the end of the day there's something they don't like about the picture.

I know that photo appreciation is subjective. That is why by listening (reading in this case) to other comments, one may discover areas that has not been explored.

If one bothers to rate the photos they viewed, they should at least tell the photog why is it so. IMO, it is quite rude to rate a photo without giving tha fact/base, note I am not only referring to those extra low rating, but those high rating too.

This is my own opinion, of cause.

sequitur said:

especially the LAZY bit....:) but then again, there is time for change..:)

I admit i am one of the culprits who just post the score and empty comment. :cry:

pls forgive me. i will put in my personal comment from this minute onwards. :)

yap, we are talking about those photos in the galleries. its easier, for me, i dont see those that are not posted here, too much trouble.

btw, zig, to quote you

i hope you like my pictures... but if you dont, i dont really care, cuz its not about you!! im just trying to do my thing ,the thing i like
but please offer constructive criticism if you have any.

is the 1st statement necessary? call me old fashion, but i believe being humble can help one to learn more and faster.

anyway, since you have asked, which one of the photos are you asking for comments? there are so many.

Status
Not open for further replies.