An Albino Cat

IvanL

Apr 30, 2011
DSC_0713.JPG

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

The emotion conveyed by the cat, the composition.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To convey the colour of the cat's eyes and emotion of the cat.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

At punggol park in the morning.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like how the blue eyes of the cat contrast the albino skin of the cat. I also like how it looks away from the camera, giving a sense of mysteriousness.

In my view the composition seems very awkward. The slant of the cat's body towards the camera is very discomforting. I also feel a sense disconnection between the human hand and the cat, which are supposed to be the main subjects. Also because the human seems to be coming from behind the cat, the leg seems to be in the way although its in the bokeh. Perhaps can approach from the side, shoot a little wider, and find a way to make the cat lift up his head so its eyes will get more light??

The cat has a very 'deadpan' look on its face.
Eyes are underexposed, adding to the 'lifeless' feel. Not sure what emotion you are trying to convey?

Having a hand and bit of leg in the frame also looks weird. It would have been a much better photo without anyone in it, and the cat looking at your camera.

Also, the fur of the cat is white, but that doesn't make it an 'albino cat'....

Article on albino cats

The fingers seem to be photoshopped to make it blur. The distance of the finger is approximate the same as the distance to the ears, but there's a obvious difference in the sharpness. Perhaps this makes the whole photo looks very unnatural.

DSC_0713.JPG

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

The emotion conveyed by the cat, the composition.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

To convey the colour of the cat's eyes and emotion of the cat.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

At punggol park in the morning.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I like how the blue eyes of the cat contrast the albino skin of the cat. I also like how it looks away from the camera, giving a sense of mysteriousness.

Hi

It's a local domestic cat and the actual color is Red Point. No, its not an Albino cat.

Thanks for all your criticism. The was my first time seeing a cat that is almost fully white so i assume it is albino. I didn't photoshop it or anything, the hands are further away from the ears and the hands, i think that there is also some motion blur of the hands. I agree that the leg is distracting but i wasn't really paying attention to the background. Unfortunately, i am unable to move the cat or anything as it was not exactly friendly with me but loved my friend, thus the underexposed eyes.

technically the white balance is off, and the body fur is a huge patch of distracting cyan. this should be corrected in post especially the whiteness of the cat's fur can add interest to this picture. my 2 cents.

The body of the cat looks overexposed and the white balance seems off too on my calibrated screen. The body looks abit bluish. Having it make an eye contact with the cam would be a good start. :)

Try going lower. It may bring a more interesting perspective. :)
This would have changed everything. The lower perspective would really bring out the cat's face as well as permitting you to capture the full hand (without chopping off fingers mid-joint).
I would also have dropped your aperture a little to make sure that both eyes are tack sharp, and raised your exposure by 1 - 1.5 EV or so to really bring out the eyes and brighten up the cat's white fur. While the photo needs some work, I think you have a great model there. ;) keep it up!