Among the prosumer digital cameras, which one has good autofocus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Good autofocus as in fast and accurate. I would think this is an important factor to consider when getting a camera but it has not been given much attention.

Someone said that G2's autofocus is not very accurate, while Dimage 5's slow. Any comments/experience with these or other cameras in the same class (e.g. S602Z, F707, CP5700, Dimage 7i, Olympus C4040)?

Originally posted by mpenza
Good autofocus as in fast and accurate. I would think this is an important factor to consider when getting a camera but it has not been given much attention.

Someone said that G2's autofocus is not very accurate, while Dimage 5's slow. Any comments/experience with these or other cameras in the same class (e.g. S602Z, F707, CP5700, Dimage 7i, Olympus C4040)?

the Leica Digilux / Panasonic Lumix LC5 (i think) has very fast AF...and pretty accurate too....fastest in the prosumer class digicams.....

Originally posted by Red Dawn

the Leica Digilux / Panasonic Lumix LC5 (i think) has very fast AF...and pretty accurate too....fastest in the prosumer class digicams.....

but apparently the lumix LC5's photo quality is totally horrendous....according to reviews.;)

Originally posted by mpenza

Most prosumer DCs have relatively poor AF performance. Other than the LC5 I have not come across one with faster AF. Most takes up to about 1s to AF, longer in dim light. I've tried 707, 5700, 5000, 995, 990, 950, 4500, G2, G1 and all are about the same in AF performance.

I've since used my 950 in MF mode and setting the approximate distance on it for situations where AF will be horribly slow, and that has worked well. The other DCs doesn't seem to have a distance setting in their MF mode, which I find is a limitation. Somehow Nikon removed this feature in their 4500. :(

Regards
CK

I am currently using a Lumix LC5-S. And I must say it really is fast for a AF digicam. I have used Fujifilm FinePix and Ricoh Caplio cameras and this is so far the fastest.

As for quality wise, looking at the sample pictures done in Panasonic website. The camera still has potential ;)

So wish me luck also in exploring the camera.

PS: Just got it for less than 24 hours only ;P

the cp990 AF sux big time... it told me about nikon's design philosophy about consumer-oriented cams..

my c2100uz is quite fast... and with red lamp is good in darkness..

I just tried an eos50 (film SLR) in my dark bedroom trying to focus on the interior of a shaded shelf, reflected in a mirror i.e. frickin' dark... focus confirmed very fast... but it hunts an white walls and blinks..

Status
Not open for further replies.