Amex Platinum Card Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

SzennyBoy

Mar 3, 2002
London, UK
www.zen76903.zen.co.uk
Anyone with a Amex Platinum Card here? Just want to know what it offers and basically to find out if it is worth taking up a "pre-approved" offer by Amex to upgrade to it?!?

i'm sure u can find out online?

make sure u're aware of the annual fees. plat cards usually dun come cheap. ;)

most plats information can't be found online. its usually by invitation. whoever is inviting you should give u enuff information. if not, then they're not treating you as a potential plat customer.

(PS, FYI, and i swear off amex a long time ago)

Shadus said:
most plats information can't be found online. its usually by invitation. whoever is inviting you should give u enuff information. if not, then they're not treating you as a potential plat customer.

The upgrade invitation came direct from Amex UK. All that was sent was the covering invitation letter and a personal invitation form in a simple Amex Platinum presentation sleeve. All I'm required to do is simply fill in how I want my name to appear on the new Platinum cards (2 off) and my free nominated supplementary Gold cards (max. of 4) and they'll send the entire card portfolio over within three weeks. Nothing else was sent with this invitation. :dunno:

Its almost the case of the "if you have to ask, you are in the wrong place" kinda thing!!! :what:

many cards issuing banks are "selling" platinum cards (visa) nowadays...something like, pay $500 for one time membership fee... not sure about Amex though....better to double check for any other strings attached or not...

Yes I do have it.

Services provided is excellent. Annual fees is expensive though. Have been offered an to upgrade to Black Amex, not sure of the benefits.

Do drop me a PM if you have any quires.

SL6 said:
...Services provided is excellent. Annual fees is expensive though. Have been offered an to upgrade to Black Amex, not sure of the benefits.

Expensive annual fees for sure... just found out that it will cost me £275 a year for the Platinum Amex. Okay, benefits include tickets to film premier nights here in London and other exclusive events in London and Paris but not quite sure if I'd ever use the 24-hrs worldwide concierge service though. Wonder how much they charge for such services? Travelling previleges are nice things but I'm already a BA Gold Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold and Hilton HHonors Gold VIP so not much difference there. Hmm... maybe try out for a year and see if it is really worth it for the rest... worst case can cancel after the first year, right?

They offered you the Centurion Card? I heard the annual on that card is something like £760 a year! Wow... wonder what extra benefits they offer?

Here in Singapore, I paid S$1200 annually. Fees going to increase to S$1300++ for 2004. Was offered an upgrade with no additional fees incurred. I dont travel, so have not make full use of the benefits offered. So, I think is not worth the money for me. Since I was offered a Black card, will stay for another year.

Yes, is cheaper on your side, surprised by that too. Is by special invitation, I too received it with no application involved. Guess if you hold the gold Amex long enough and with good income/payment records, they will issue such invitation. But I was not aware there is a Black card as mentioned, till they offer me this month. You do get some "Wow" factor when you flash out the card, is not commonly used here. Unfortunately, Amex is not as popular as Visa among retailer, so cant used it as often. Since your fees is lower, do give it a thought.

Hmm... I understand that the Amex card is widely accepted in the States. Considering that I travel fairly frequently to the US for work, this might come in handy.

In that case, I see no reason why you should not have it... Go fot it... :)

SL6 said:
Here in Singapore, I paid S$1200 annually. Fees going to increase to S$1300++ for 2004. Was offered an upgrade with no additional fees incurred. I dont travel, so have not make full use of the benefits offered. So, I think is not worth the money for me. Since I was offered a Black card, will stay for another year.

Good grief thats whole lots of moolah to change the colour of the card :bigeyes:

And I thought the annual fee for my gold amex one was expensive...
(I usually get it waived when its time to pay the annual fee... )

Hmmm. I thought every Tom Dick and Harry gets invited to apply for platinum and black cards? IMO all this so-called "exclusivity" is just marketing.

SzennyBoy said:
Hmm... I understand that the Amex card is widely accepted in the States. Considering that I travel fairly frequently to the US for work, this might come in handy.

NO NO ... I've in US for a year and i can tell you that Visa and Mastercard is more widely accepted then AMEX ... kinda wierd isn't it ...

hmm. green, gold, platinum, black. got infrared coming later? :D

heng i haven't reached the minimum income bracket for applying.. phew.. :)

true, VISA is more accepted nowadays even in US. Amex have been on the decline for years until early last year when they start to boost their popularity again by cutting merchant fees, creating more "levels" of exclusiveness and of coz offering free cards.

I didn't know there's a black AMEX?

And I'm as surprise plat visa is on offer for $500 unlimited membership? looks like there's no snob factor anymore even with plat...haha :p

Shadus said:
I didn't know there's a black AMEX?
Got... they call it the Centurion Card. Cannot apply... must be invited one.

And I'm as surprise plat visa is on offer for $500 unlimited membership? looks like there's no snob factor anymore even with plat...haha :p

This is new to me... my Halifax Plat Card is totally free, no annual fees with cash-back option some more. Just require to be in appropriate salary bracket to qualify. The Amex one is apparently new and I've hardly see them, even in London! But this one can apply if you qualify... also have invitation where fees are waviered for the first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.