'Amazing' value in Buy/Sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
someone offered a new B&W Polariser and a new B&W UV filter for sale. both are of same diameter size. however, the UV has attracted higher bid price than the polariser. Amazing sense of value!

The invisible hands of demand and supply drives market prices. It's a free market. :bsmilie:

How many pple own PL filter?

How many pple know the correct use of PL filter?

How many pple thinks PL filter is useful?

Anyway, pple will buy one UV filter to each lens. but not for PL filter.

Thant's should answer all liao.

catchlights said:
How many pple own PL filter?

How many pple know the correct use of PL filter?

How many pple thinks PL filter is useful?

Anyway, pple will buy one UV filter to each lens. but not for PL filter.

Thant's should answer all liao.
The most concerned question should be:
how many poeple knows the purpose of using a polariser?
:)

but of course, everyone will say B+W is good quality, but should ask yourself, do you think that you really need that good? and what's the purpose for you to buy such a good filter if it is that good. :)

Since you adjust sky colors all you want in PS, ppl dont feel the need for polarisers? Dont need them for blue skies now, only to cut down reflections.

reno77 said:
Since you adjust sky colors all you want in PS, ppl dont feel the need for polarisers? Dont need them for blue skies now, only to cut down reflections.

not really.... the sky colour can be made more saturated (ie. more blue) without strongly affecting the rest of the image.

in PS, u have to trace out the sky and adjust the colour balance -- so troublesome. i rather use a polariser.

Drudkh said:
The most concerned question should be:
how many poeple knows the purpose of using a polariser?
:)

good question.. since i studied physics, i understand how it works.

but to most people, it's a "magical" filter. however, it's totally understandable. it's like knowing how to drive a car without learning the mechanics behind it.

reachme2003 said:
someone offered a new B&W Polariser and a new B&W UV filter for sale. both are of same diameter size. however, the UV has attracted higher bid price than the polariser. Amazing sense of value!
erm.
don't really understand.
is the polariser supposed to be more expensive?

ibitemynails said:
erm.
don't really understand.
is the polariser supposed to be more expensive?

generally speaking, for the same brand, condition and size, polariser costs more.

what's there to be cynical about? I really dun see the point about this thread. They are willing to pay a higher price for something they use more often. Anything wrong?

nothing cynical about it. unless you are.

either the buyer read wrongly or he really dont care about polariser..

since we're on this subject, I'd like to know how to use a polariser. The Hoya ones have a mark for you to know which way the polariser is turned to. Is there a "correct" direction or you just turned it till you're happy with what you see?

search under general discussion, tech talks.

hwchoy said:
since we're on this subject, I'd like to know how to use a polariser. The Hoya ones have a mark for you to know which way the polariser is turned to. Is there a "correct" direction or you just turned it till you're happy with what you see?
Yes, your rotate the filter till you gets the effect you want.
It will cut down reflection at a angle, not your own reflection, will reduce a certain amount of highlights on object, but not cut down any hotspots, light source.
If you use it for scenic, the strongest effect is when the sun is on your right or left, but will not work on hazy day.

Please do a search more about the PL filter in Internet.

choy: the mark on the lens is just to let you have a means of gauging how much you have rotated so in case anything happened, lens knocked accidentally or say you got the effect you wanted in horizontal composition then you want to take a vertical composition you can just agar-agar turn the pol with the mark to roughly the same spot w/o hunting for the correct spot. there's no "perfect" amt of rotation at all, so the mark isn't a form of measurement to help you get the "perfect" rotation. its not true that the max effect is the best either, its all personal taste like amt of colour saturation to have, some like extreme saturation, some like unsat, some like in btwn.

hoppinghippo said:
choy: the mark on the lens is just to let you have a means of gauging how much you have rotated so in case anything happened, lens knocked accidentally or say you got the effect you wanted in horizontal composition then you want to take a vertical composition you can just agar-agar turn the pol with the mark to roughly the same spot w/o hunting for the correct spot. there's no "perfect" amt of rotation at all, so the mark isn't a form of measurement to help you get the "perfect" rotation. its not true that the max effect is the best either, its all personal taste like amt of colour saturation to have, some like extreme saturation, some like unsat, some like in btwn.

thank you thank you, was wondering how come some polarisers have a mark and others don't.

choy, actually I lied, the real truth why some have marks and some don't has the beginnings in ancient china, in a province called Xiang Ann, there were 2 bros... etc etc... the mark has to face the north-westerly direction for best feng shui and good fortunes every time you shoot.

hoppinghippo said:
choy, actually I lied, the real truth why some have marks and some don't has the beginnings in ancient china, in a province called Xiang Ann, there were 2 bros... etc etc... the mark has to face the north-westerly direction for best feng shui and good fortunes every time you shoot.

ancient china got a province called xiang ann meh? :dunno: :sticktong

hoppinghippo said:
Don’t forgetting to put a three legers toad underneath your tripod for stability and prosperity.

The mouth of the toad must face North East.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.