Amazing! Apple demonstrates new range of laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castlesinthesky

Aug 11, 2003
Earth,Heaven and Beyond
Aptly named the Macbook Pro

Here are the specs as lifted from www.Macrumors.com, of which reports are LIVE for Macworld 2006 as of 2:36am....still ongoing...

10:37 am Shipping in February.
10:37 am 5.6lbs. iSight, Front Row; $1999 1.67 Core Duo; 667 DDR bus, x1600; $2499 1.83GHz.
10:35 am New feature: New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out.
10:35 am IR sensor. Apple Remote
10:35 am New feature: New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out.
10:35 am IR sensor. Apple Remote.
10:33 am Demoing the new MacBook Pro.
10:33 am iSight Camera.
10:32 am 15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.
10:32 am Hair thinner than the 17".
10:32 am Fastest notebook ever.
10:31 am 4-5x faster.
10:31 am 2 processors in every Macbook pro.
10:31 am No more Powerbook. Intel duo Core.
10:30 am New laptop computer.
10:30 am Today - MacBook Pro

EDIT: Apple updated its website already

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

even the imac is using the new intel chip with duo processors.

numzkull said:
hmmm..... was thinking of getting the powerbook g4. but then the specs for the new intel based macbook looks yummy!

i wonder if i should.....

heheh As I told someone else here earlier....WAIT ABIT...you have nothing to lose. The things I heard is it is much better. There is hints that it might run Window software directly and not through some emulation like the present notebook and mac PCs and it is pretty darn fast.

sammy888 said:
heheh As I told someone else here earlier....WAIT ABIT...you have nothing to lose. The things I heard is it is much better. There is hints that it might run Window software directly and not through some emulation like the present notebook and mac PCs and it is pretty darn fast.

was trying to watch the webcast of the macworld address... dang. apple's site must be flooded by people trying to log on to watch... will try again later.

hmmm... wonder if there will be a clearance sale at the apple stores in singapore for the current PBs and iBooks... :think: ;p

nightwolf75 said:
was trying to watch the webcast of the macworld address... dang. apple's site must be flooded by people trying to log on to watch... will try again later.

hmmm... wonder if there will be a clearance sale at the apple stores in singapore for the current PBs and iBooks... :think: ;p
Bro, ur stuff is with me. ;)

Looks like everyone anticipated wrongly abt price crash. Due to the presence of Universal Code (or Rosetta) which can run both PowerPC compiled & Intel Proc compiled programs, there dun seem to be much of a reason for Apple to crash prices of PowerPC-based iBooks & PowerBooks. :(

Maybe for the older models, u'll prolly be in luck? But current models... well, I think we are all out of luck. Damn, I want my faster server. :angry:

jsbn said:
Bro, ur stuff is with me. ;)

Looks like everyone anticipated wrongly abt price crash. Due to the presence of Universal Code (or Rosetta) which can run both PowerPC compiled & Intel Proc compiled programs, there dun seem to be much of a reason for Apple to crash prices of PowerPC-based iBooks & PowerBooks. :(

Maybe for the older models, u'll prolly be in luck? But current models... well, I think we are all out of luck. Damn, I want my faster server. :angry:

haiz... i can only dream... :bheart:

will wait to see the rumoured low-cost ibooks.

nightwolf75 said:
haiz... i can only dream... :bheart:

will wait to see the rumoured low-cost ibooks.
Ha ha, you will then be getting a machine that is 1/4 to 1/5 of the speed of the new Mactops :bsmilie: (Actually, on News.com, it said 2-3 times).

The new laptops are not cheap. Quoted from here
News.com said:
Once released in February, the MacBook Pro line of laptops will include a $1,999 model running at 1.67GHz and featuring a 15-inch screen. That version will also come with an 80GB hard drive and a new infrared sensor to use with the Apple Remote control device. A second version will feature an 1.83GHz processor and a 100GB hard drive and cost $2,499.
US$2k? That is S$3.4k. A PC-equivalent today is around $1.8-2k :sweat:

Watcher said:
Ha ha, you will then be getting a machine that is 1/4 to 1/5 of the speed of the new Mactops :bsmilie: (Actually, on News.com, it said 2-3 times).

The new laptops are not cheap. Quoted from here

yeah... i know. dats why i'm waiting and seeing wat the rumoured ibooks will be like b4 deciding. my current windoze desktop is due for replacement soon.... :sweat:

Wow this is very good news for me .. hehehe :)

Yes. A PC-equivalent. But at what cost? Shared Memory? DVD-ROM? *shudder* Windows? Weighs a ton?

Sometimes, I feel that where such stuff are concerned, look beyond cost and to infinity & beyond.

nightwolf75 said:
yeah... i know. dats why i'm waiting and seeing wat the rumoured ibooks will be like b4 deciding. my current windoze desktop is due for replacement soon.... :sweat:
If you got budget problem, you should see some of the 2nd tiered PC laptop producers...
Acer with a 2GHz, 512MB DDR2 RAM, 80GB HD, 14.1" crystal brite screen, ATi x700 64MB video RAM (not shared) slot-in DVD+-RW DL for around S$2.3k with interest-free installment by credit card :eek:

I was so blo*dy tempted... :sweat:

Edit: more details

jsbn said:
Yes. A PC-equivalent. But at what cost? Shared Memory? DVD-ROM? *shudder* Windows? Weighs a ton?

Sometimes, I feel that where such stuff are concerned, look beyond cost and to infinity & beyond.
That type? With a Pentium III trade-in, S$1399 ($1799 without) and still has a DVD+-RW DL and weighs around 2.6-2.8kg. At around 1/2 the price, I would rather take the difference and spend it on a lens. It is a tool, not a fashion statement; a JPG processed on either with the same software will come out the same results.

I'm totally amazed by the new apple MacBook Pro... Now just have to wait and see whether the revA is good enough..

Watcher said:

S$3.4K is not bad at all for a mac. Fujitsu notebook can easily cost S$4K a piece. IBM T43 with better LCD also cost around S$3.6K

popeye said:
S$3.4K is not bad at all for a mac. Fujitsu notebook can easily cost S$4K a piece. IBM T43 with better LCD also cost around S$3.6K

I second that! :)

I'm simply amazed they place the price so close to the powerbook series. That was kind of unexpected.

However, i don't think it's a good time to buy when the Macbook pro now.. From what i see, it launches 2 different speeds of 15in. Soon, they will come out with the 17in and the former will not be S$3688 anymore. hehe..

And yes, i'm really interested to see what is the specs of the macintel ibook.

ortega said:
checked the singapore store
the MacbooPro and Power book are the same price
but the MacbookPro is faster

I really don't know what's Apple strategy for not marking down powerbook prices.. :dunno:

Are the Macs sold in the US with International warranty or US only?

At USD 2499 and the current USD/SGD of 1.64, it seems like a good buy even after shipping international.

Status
Not open for further replies.