Amazing! Apple demonstrates new range of laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
behyx said:
I really don't know what's Apple strategy for not marking down powerbook prices.. :dunno:
i would suppose that the macbookPro is not here yet
and they want to clear their excess stock at a profit first.

intel macbooks are only much faster if the software is written specifically for it. running it via rosetta kind of cripples the speed of intel chip. this prob explains why the prices of the powerpc pbooks didnt dip with the release of macbooks.

cheese said:
intel macbooks are only much faster if the software is written specifically for it. running it via rosetta kind of cripples the speed of intel chip. this prob explains why the prices of the powerpc pbooks didnt dip with the release of macbooks.

Oh really! i'm interested in looking at how powerbooks and macbookpro fare in PS.

1 issue i'm very concern of..

What is the battery life of the new Macbook pro??? apple.com didn't state anything about it. Wondering if it can still sustain the powerbook/ibook 5-5.5hr of usage..

Though amazing, i don't see current gen- Pbook users really wanting to switch as yet. I'm not inclined myself to jump the gun, very happy with my pbook.

With the software update recently, it really does seem that the battery life for the 15 inchers have been improved. At least mine does.

The macbookpro looks impressive, but I am a windows XP PC/laptop user. Can I still run the pc applications or start looking at mac application if I switched over?

I really do not have much experience with Apple laptops/PCs. How do they compare with intel PC/laptops?

Thanks.

Castlesinthesky said:
Aptly named the Macbook Pro

Here are the specs as lifted from www.Macrumors.com, of which reports are LIVE for Macworld 2006 as of 2:36am....still ongoing...

10:37 am Shipping in February.
10:37 am 5.6lbs. iSight, Front Row; $1999 1.67 Core Duo; 667 DDR bus, x1600; $2499 1.83GHz.
10:35 am New feature: New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out.
10:35 am IR sensor. Apple Remote
10:35 am New feature: New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out.
10:35 am IR sensor. Apple Remote.
10:33 am Demoing the new MacBook Pro.
10:33 am iSight Camera.
10:32 am 15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.
10:32 am Hair thinner than the 17".
10:32 am Fastest notebook ever.
10:31 am 4-5x faster.
10:31 am 2 processors in every Macbook pro.
10:31 am No more Powerbook. Intel duo Core.
10:30 am New laptop computer.
10:30 am Today - MacBook Pro

EDIT: Apple updated its website already

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

wow apple bringing loads of new stuff out, new range of laptops and the new intel imacs!!

blive said:
The macbookpro looks impressive, but I am a windows XP PC/laptop user. Can I still run the pc applications or start looking at mac application if I switched over?

I really do not have much experience with Apple laptops/PCs. How do they compare with intel PC/laptops?

Thanks.

Don't worry about it. I'm still working in a cross platform envoirnment and have no problems whatsoever dealing with applications on both sides.

Unfortunately you have to look at applications that run on Mac, software are OS-dependent-i.e. Photoshop CS2 windows cannot be installed on Mac platforms. You have to get the Mac version for it.

As for comparisons with Wintel based PC/laptops...all i can say is......i sure prefer my Mac over my previous toshiba laptop, which sure as hell gave me problems.:bsmilie:

behyx said:
1 issue i'm very concern of..

What is the battery life of the new Macbook pro??? apple.com didn't state anything about it. Wondering if it can still sustain the powerbook/ibook 5-5.5hr of usage..

i have never used powerbooks with 5- 5.5 hr of usage, even with new batteries.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i have never used powerbooks with 5- 5.5 hr of usage, even with new batteries.

depending on the applications you are using.
when my sis's 12in ibook was qualify for the battery change, the indicator shows it can be use for more than 5hrs.. shes using it for basic apps..

behyx said:
depending on the applications you are using.
when my sis's 12in ibook was qualify for the battery change, the indicator shows it can be use for more than 5hrs.. shes using it for basic apps..

the 12" ones usually come in at about 5... the rest of them about 4 or 4.5.

also depends on how well you take care of you battery. calibration and all that.

cheese said:
Actually, even if Rosetta runs these apps at oh 1/3 of the speed, it would still be faster than current PBs since it is alleged to be 2-4 times faster.

And people insisted to me that their PB runs faster than an equivalently price Wintel laptop :bsmilie:

skinnylatte said:
the 12" ones usually come in at about 5... the rest of them about 4 or 4.5.

also depends on how well you take care of you battery. calibration and all that.
You're right. The larger the screen, the shorter the battery life. The CPU nowadays is now not the most demanding (in terms of power); it is the screen. 15.4" is not small at all.

yup, the name's a downer, i'm one of those who'd prefer it to be named proBook instead.

who's already ordered one?

blive said:

Get someone to help you install Windows XP on the new macbook, then you can dual boot. :)

And if you can't stand the OS X interface, you can just use the macbook as a nice looking dedicated Windows computer ;-)

kahheng said:
Get someone to help you install Windows XP on the new macbook, then you can dual boot. :)

And if you can't stand the OS X interface, you can just use the macbook as a nice looking dedicated Windows computer ;-)
Ha ha ha... I was about to post that myself

FYI, Acer has just launched their CNY offer that includes 3 Intel Duo processors-base laptops. You can see the brochure here. The 5672WLMi has about 90+% of the more expensive MacPro (slightly slower in CPU and graphics chip, a X1400 instead of X1600), but has DL DVD writer and has a 40GB external hard disk as a free gift!

Available today instead of 2-4 months later, at 60% of the price (S$2698) of the MacPro...

Watcher said:
Ha ha ha... I was about to post that myself

FYI, Acer has just launched their CNY offer that includes 3 Intel Duo processors-base laptops. You can see the brochure here. The 5672WLMi has about 90+% of the more expensive MacPro (slightly slower in CPU and graphics chip, a X1400 instead of X1600), but has DL DVD writer and has a 40GB external hard disk as a free gift!

Available today instead of 2-4 months later, at 60% of the price (S$2698) of the MacPro...

Er, but me and my friends don't seem to have had good experiences with Acer in the past. Not sure how their current products are though.

Frankly I don't see much point in getting a 1.66Ghz Duo. For me it's 2Ghz or nothing. Then it will be like having the power of an Athlon x2 3800+ on the go. These Intel duo processors scale mightily, just like their Pentium M single core cousins.

Still, the thought of getting the Macbook just to run XP is too tempting, hehehehehe...

Status
Not open for further replies.