Amateur Shots at BT Batok Nature Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Bukit Batok Nature Reserve today with a friend to practise shooting. Took some pictures of the resident creatures and plants there. Shots are done hand-held, using a D80 with Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro 1:2 F/4-5.6 lens, manual mode and mostly with flash. Click the smaller pictures for the larger version. Comments and advices welcomed. I'm just a beginner so do be patient with me :) Thanks

Like your Striped Tit Babler...nice pose and great details. Did u use fill in flash?
Way to go, bro....:thumbsup:

Like your Striped Tit Babler...nice pose and great details. Did u use fill in flash?
Way to go, bro....:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments bro. And yeah, I was using fill flash. Its a pity that I only managed to snap a few shots of the Striped Tit Babbler, it kinda "hopped" away after a while. Variety of birds I spotted that day was limited.

Came across a sea eagle resting on a tree that day but was way too far for my lenses to get a decent shot :dunno:. Do you have any recommendation(s) for budget telephoto zoom lens (say up to 400mm)?

Have intention of acquiring the Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM with a Sigma 2X TC, probably end of year. Quite expen$ive so need to consider seriously before committing. Meanwhile was thinking of getting a budget zoom lens to play around. Hope you can advise.

Have intention of acquiring the Sigma APO 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM with a Sigma 2X TC, probably end of year. Quite expen$ive so need to consider seriously before committing. Meanwhile was thinking of getting a budget zoom lens to play around. Hope you can advise.

The Sigma APO 120-300 f2.8 is a fantastic lens....look at some of Mendis's work (even with the 2x TC). You won't go wrong there for sure. If u can stretch your budget or can wait (provided the avian shutter "bug" has not gone too deep)...go for the prime...meanwhile, your present setup is giving you good images, just need to "dabble" abit into your post processing (CS2 or Element?).
Cheers

The Sigma APO 120-300 f2.8 is a fantastic lens....look at some of Mendis's work (even with the 2x TC). You won't go wrong there for sure...

Ok bro, will heed your advice. Decide to hold on to my Sigma 70-300 till i eventually get the 120-300mm with TC (Need to accumulate some wealth first :bsmilie:).

Buy over Scenar's 120-300! :bsmilie:

FYI, the WB is a bit off, it has a yellow cast, NEF will be able to solve that. :sweatsm:

Buy over Scenar's 120-300! :bsmilie:

FYI, the WB is a bit off, it has a yellow cast, NEF will be able to solve that. :sweatsm:

Yes agree that WB of some of the pics are off. Shot all in RAW so I guess i'll put in more effort to do some WB tweaking later. :)

BTNR_4_filtered.jpg

Courtesy of bro Sharkspin. He was kind enough to do some CS on this pic before senting it back to me. Thanks :) Thought i'll just put it up for reference.

Did some adjustments to the WB as pointed out by bro wkcheah76. Hope it looks more right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.