Am the only one that wants a notebook cooling pad that does not run on usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

germ_boi

Oct 3, 2003
Sedna, Orion Stars
Visit site
I mean, my notebook only has a limited number of usb ports, and i have to waste one for the cooling pad? I rather have one that runs with a power adaptor, but that is like impossible to find.

I mean, granted there's those with usb extensions plus fan, but the extensions can only run really weak stuff.

Any leads anyone?

Don't use a cooling pad then. Your laptop will still operate fine without one. If you are really worried, just add 2 half squash ball behind.

Don't use a cooling pad then. Your laptop will still operate fine without one. If you are really worried, just add 2 half squash ball behind.

And add a small table top fan, or one of those battery operated portable fans. They would provide more air circulation than what a dedicated lap cooler could.

Or use ice cubes in place of the squash balls! LOL!

Merry Christmas!

Hhaha, merry xmas everyone! uhhh, i just want a way to cool my laptop lah, haha, ifind it gets a bit too hot when i run my video encoding stuff.

If you can't find one cooling pad with direct power supply, then you can work around it.
1) you can get a powered USB HUB. This you will get more USB ports + each port can deliver more power to the devices, since the hub is self-powered.
2) Get a AC-DC adapter with have USB connector output. Anyway, the cooling pad only use the power from the USB, so you can just plug into the adapter rather then your laptop.

External cooling devices are helpful for notebooks whether it is a pair of half squash balls or usb fans.

When playing games, the notebook can heat up to above 90deg Celsius. So, the fan helps out a fair bit to cool off the system.

I diy a computer fan to cool off the notebook on its side. Forget usb fan as it is too weak, but of course it is better than not having any though.

Any device is to install the smc software fan to push the internal fan speed up when it gets hot internally.

If you've got a USB cooler then you need to get hold of a 5V DC 400mA plug pack and modifiy it to run the cooler .. that will run it straight off the mains. No more dragging it out of the USB port.

I mean, my notebook only has a limited number of usb ports, and i have to waste one for the cooling pad? I rather have one that runs with a power adaptor, but that is like impossible to find.

I mean, granted there's those with usb extensions plus fan, but the extensions can only run really weak stuff.

Any leads anyone?

just raise the beh sai of your laptop

better than any bloody stupid cooling pad period

ditto. give your laptop some balls!

also depends on the laptop i guess

i for one, cannot fanthom how acer people designed their laptop (at least those i see a few years ago).. it seems to be designed to trapped heat.

and must make sure your laptop vents are clear of dust.. which you can do with a camera blower.. :lovegrin:

there was a period of time my laptop just kept shutting itself down out of nowhere, so i was really puzzled. in the end i realised that the vents were all choked up with dust. when i use the blower, wow, so much dust spill out and the problem stopped.

nowadays i blow the vents every now and then. :sweat:

If you've got a USB cooler then you need to get hold of a 5V DC 400mA plug pack and modifiy it to run the cooler .. that will run it straight off the mains. No more dragging it out of the USB port.
how do you modify it? any links? i'm not sure how to google for it like this...

(and where do you get this plug pack from?)

how do you modify it? any links? i'm not sure how to google for it like this...

(and where do you get this plug pack from?)
both Funan and simlim has loads of these power adapters that output to USB sockets. ranging from 0.5A to 2A output current.

Cool man and machine (laptop) + 2 door wedge behind.

DSC08869.jpg

Cool man and machine (laptop) + 2 door wedge behind.
wow this laptop brings back memories, was previously using a dell inspiron 6000, now on a Macbook.

Clown. Your version is to get the power adaptor to (mini)USB so as to power the notebook cooling pad? Anyway I see the one i bought (on impulse) has a plug to insert in a charger, much like the old nokia charger heads, except a bit smaller. I was wondering what the hole is there for if it is to be powered by USB.

The one i bought also comes with a usb hub inbuilt, so right now I'm connecting those with low power usage, printer/external keyboard/3.5in harddisk (with own power source)

Yup, thanks for your replies!

wow this laptop brings back memories, was previously using a dell inspiron 6000, now on a Macbook.

Clown. Your version is to get the power adaptor to (mini)USB so as to power the notebook cooling pad? Anyway I see the one i bought (on impulse) has a plug to insert in a charger, much like the old nokia charger heads, except a bit smaller. I was wondering what the hole is there for if it is to be powered by USB.

The one i bought also comes with a usb hub inbuilt, so right now I'm connecting those with low power usage, printer/external keyboard/3.5in harddisk (with own power source)

Yup, thanks for your replies!
something like this: http://www.mckal.com/adapters_chargers/MM711-mckal-duo.php

i'm using this now and it's quite good. charges my iphone faster than others too due to the 1A current.

Status
Not open for further replies.