AM PRO owners,pls come in..HELP


Status
Not open for further replies.

ah_fu

New Member
Jun 27, 2002
47
0
0
41
Visit site
#1
hi guys,

my Am Pro dry cab shows a reading between 30% to 40% from the hygrometer.

i hav try turning the knob to the H side and oso to the L side.

For the L side, i get 20% and lower.
For the H side i get ard 30 to 40 %...

is tis normal? i can't seems to bring it up to 50%...
is there a prob wif my cab? its has been on for abt 45hrs..

pls advice......

CONFIRMATIoN of TEST
i bought a digital hygromter..
Digital reading : 40%
Analog reading : 29%

wow...diff by 11%.....
going down ap to xchange the analog meter.....
hehehe
 

Sep 8, 2002
258
0
0
#2
Originally posted by ah_fu
hi guys,

my Am Pro dry cab shows a reading between 30% to 40% from the hygrometer.

i hav try turning the knob to the H side and oso to the L side.

For the L side, i get 20% and lower.
For the H side i get ard 30 to 40 %...

is tis normal? i can't seems to bring it up to 50%...
is there a prob wif my cab? its has been on for abt 45hrs..

pls advice......
Try setting the knob somewhere between H and 'Off'. Mine is set thereabouts and I am getting from 40%-55%.
 

Eugene

New Member
Apr 30, 2002
165
0
0
#3
currently I am still testing my ampro...
set it slightly to the right of the middle marking...
now is rather constant at 45%...

this is my 3rd week of testing...
dun really trust it...
will be finding a digital one this weekend...
:what:
 

Sep 8, 2002
258
0
0
#4
Originally posted by Eugene
currently I am still testing my ampro...
set it slightly to the right of the middle marking...
now is rather constant at 45%...

this is my 3rd week of testing...
dun really trust it...
will be finding a digital one this weekend...
:what:
Me also looking for one digital hydrometer. Any idea where to get and what is the cost?
 

ah_fu

New Member
Jun 27, 2002
47
0
0
41
Visit site
#5
porky... my am pro no good..
reading now at 30% after turning knob between H and OFF....

any one can help?
 

Sep 8, 2002
258
0
0
#6
Originally posted by ah_fu
porky... my am pro no good..
reading now at 30% after turning knob between H and OFF....

any one can help?
hmmm.... how about setting close to 'Off' and see what's the reading... Try opening the cabinet to equalise the humidity level inside to that of the surrounding. U should see the humidity meter rise to 60-80% given that it is a rather wet day and that your AM PRO is not in an aircon room. Then close cabinet at the setting close to 'Off'

BTW, if the small light at the dehumidier light up, then the the setting is made below the humidity level in the cabinet. Try again.
 

J

JerChan

Guest
#7
I have one of those Am Pro dry box and the hygrometer reads 20%, I was wondering if this is normal for camera and camera lenses storage.

The silica gel inside the box is still blue and I've been using the box for about 2 ~ 3 weeks.

What is considered an optimum humidly level for storage of camera stuffs?

By the way, when I first bought the box, I filled the bottom with silica gel and the humidly level dropped to 0%. What will happen of the humidly level drops too low?
 

NitroTech

New Member
Apr 4, 2002
546
0
0
43
In Paradise
Visit site
#8
Originally posted by ah_fu
porky... my am pro no good..
reading now at 30% after turning knob between H and OFF....

any one can help?

Mine is set between H and OFF............ reading...... about 35%. But i bought a digital hygrometer this morning and calibrated it(salt test) and have put it inside me dry cabinet since 6pm. The RH reading on the digital hygrometer is 45%. So i think there is an error on the analog hygrometer of abt ~10%.

Hope this helps
 

NitroTech

New Member
Apr 4, 2002
546
0
0
43
In Paradise
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by JerChan
I have one of those Am Pro dry box and the hygrometer reads 20%, I was wondering if this is normal for camera and camera lenses storage.

The silica gel inside the box is still blue and I've been using the box for about 2 ~ 3 weeks.

What is considered an optimum humidly level for storage of camera stuffs?

By the way, when I first bought the box, I filled the bottom with silica gel and the humidly level dropped to 0%. What will happen of the humidly level drops too low?

http://www.eurekadrybox.com.au/essentials.htm

hope this helps!!!


:)
 

NitroTech

New Member
Apr 4, 2002
546
0
0
43
In Paradise
Visit site
#11
Originally posted by djork
it's weird, mine is at the H setting, hovers around 45%. i guess, H means higher humidity, while the L means lower? haha...
it's not a joke. it's true.... it's damn true!!! (Kurt Angle);p
 

I

ItBYTES

Guest
#12
mine is set at M, and the hygrometer reading is around 45~50%.

does the reading drop to 70~80% if you open the cabinet door for about 5~10 minutes (in non-aircon room)? if not then maybe the hygrometer is giving incorrect readings. some people has suggested getting a separate hygrometer for more accurate readings. I think it's sold around $30~40?

JerChan: if you're storing digital camera, then I am afraid 20% is too low. There are some fluid in your cam and at this humidity level the fluid may dry up. The humidity level suggested by many people is at 45~50%.
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#13
Never never never trust those cheapskate hygrometers in your dry cabinet. My Am-pro meter is giving me readings which are 15% lower than me digital meter. I have verified it through the "Salt Test" done on both meters.

I too had problem with the setting on my Am-Pro. Now I just leave the dial between OFF and H. It maintains a reading of btwn 45% - 50% on my digital hygrometer.
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#14
Originally posted by Porky Pig


Me also looking for one digital hydrometer. Any idea where to get and what is the cost?
Go to the basement of Sim Lim Tower (not Sim Lim Square) and you'll be able to find many types there.
 

J

JerChan

Guest
#15
Originally posted by ItBYTES
JerChan: if you're storing digital camera, then I am afraid 20% is too low. There are some fluid in your cam and at this humidity level the fluid may dry up. The humidity level suggested by many people is at 45~50%. [/B]
Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

Maybe I'll get a digital hygrometer from Sim Lim Tower, since I frequent that place.

It might be the calibration of these analogue hygrometer that are inaccurate.
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#16
Don't be mistaken that all analogue hygrometers are not accurate. I've seen one very well-built analogue hygrometer that costs over $100. But it is clock size - big and bulky. No room for it in my dry-cabi.
 

J

JerChan

Guest
#17
Originally posted by Barrios
Don't be mistaken that all analogue hygrometers are not accurate. I've seen one very well-built analogue hygrometer that costs over $100. But it is clock size - big and bulky. No room for it in my dry-cabi.
I bought my dry box for about S$30. For that price, I can't expect industrial accuracy right down to +/- 0.01%.:)

Even if these analogue hygrometers are accurate out of the factory, my guess is that during transportation, packing ect... the installed hygrometers get bumped and looses accuracy.

I hope to find a second hand digital hygrometer somewhere in Kaichin on the 3rd level.:)
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#18
Originally posted by JerChan


I bought my dry box for about S$30. For that price, I can't expect industrial accuracy right down to +/- 0.01%.:)

Even if these analogue hygrometers are accurate out of the factory, my guess is that during transportation, packing ect... the installed hygrometers get bumped and looses accuracy.

I hope to find a second hand digital hygrometer somewhere in Kaichin on the 3rd level.:)
Sorry, I've never heard of any humidity tester, even for the highly accurate industrial tester, that could give an accuracy of down to +/- 0.01%....keke....perhaps +/- 1% - 2% is a more realistic figure. Consumer grades are +/- 3% - 5%.:rbounce:
 

charvy

New Member
Jan 27, 2002
560
0
0
SG
www.urbanpixel.net
#19
Hmm.. based on the user manual for the AM PRO drycabi.. it says the desired range is b/w 30-45% for camera equipments .. so what is the correct range since I've read of so many variations? :dunno:
 

J

JerChan

Guest
#20
Originally posted by Barrios
Sorry, I've never heard of any humidity tester, even for the highly accurate industrial tester, that could give an accuracy of down to +/- 0.01%....keke....perhaps +/- 1% - 2% is a more realistic figure. Consumer grades are +/- 3% - 5%.:rbounce:
:D

Havn't came across any too. :D

Just thought of it...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom