am i seeing it right? Nikon hv better high ISO then canon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsQ

Jan 27, 2002
River Valley
Visit site
i was looking at http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

then i select canon 500D and nikon D5000/D90 to compare..

(all i compared was ISO3200 sample pic, the Still-life 3200.JPG )

I see that D5000 retain better detail (so is D90)... the cloth of red and blue shows out the pattern with color tone more accurate... noise level i think similar.. just that sharpness and color seem better in the Nikons then the canon

u guys also see the same ?

yup.. that was what i saw previously, which is why i'm gonna get a D90 instead.. However, take note that although canon do produce as much details in that comparison, results do vary in the type of lens, I guess, and they produce superb colour..

ya... But Canon has btr video capability, D5000 can't use lenses w/o motor, else nid to use manual focus

The "Conon has the best high ISO" statement is a myth that died 1-2 years ago.

Now they're also known for "Mushy look and loss of details at high ISO".

The "Conon has the best high ISO" statement is a myth that died 1-2 years ago.

Now they're also known for "Mushy look and loss of details at high ISO".

I agree with you on this... and frankly this is not something that Nikon should shout about... the game continues... wait till Sony leapfrog Nikon in these 2 years time... then Canon come back again after Sony... and some other smaller co might come out with some stunning models... then Nikon come back again...

the cycle continues...

Err.. I don't see an issue leh... You make it sound like it's impossible for Nikon to have better high ISO performance.

pixel peepers...

Just go out and shoot la.

The minor difference is noise is hardly noticeable in prints...

There's no need to make a big issue over something that u can see only when pixel peeping...

I agree with you on this... and frankly this is not something that Nikon should shout about... the game continues... wait till Sony leapfrog Nikon in these 2 years time... then Canon come back again after Sony... and some other smaller co might come out with some stunning models... then Nikon come back again...

the cycle continues...

They're going to have to improve on their image processors first

Errh, so for a mid range dslr in 2009 Nov, what is the highest iso for low light shooting that can print 8r with reasonable quality?

ya... But Canon has btr video capability, D5000 can't use lenses w/o motor, else nid to use manual focus

just to set the record straight, canon also cannot use lenses without motor
Nikon follow canon you know, cost cutting measures

just to set the record straight, canon also cannot use lenses without motor
Nikon follow canon you know, cost cutting measures

I think he meant canon dslr can AF with any EF or EF-s lenses.
While nikon needs those with the in-built for the lower range dslr.

They are trying to copy each other to complete for the bigger share of the pie.

I think he meant canon dslr can AF with any EF or EF-s lenses.
While nikon needs those with the in-built for the lower range dslr.

They are trying to copy each other to complete for the bigger share of the pie.

thanks, i know what he means, but why make it sound like a big deal

the lower end Nikons can AF with any AF-S lens
the mid and higher end nikons can AF with all other AF lenses
All nikons can mount and use all F-mount lenses

just for the record, all EF and EF-S lenses have a built in motor
if i am not wrong canon changed the mount for the EF/EF-S lenses so if you have one of the older canon lenses, they cannot be used at all
All AF-S lenses have a built in motor

some third party F-mount lenses have a built in motor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount

Last edited:
whichever it is, competition only leads to better technology for us users. :)

i figured that the nikon video problem comes only when u pan fast or u recording fast moving object.. not too much a issue as i hv a camcorder and the video in DSLR are just for shorted clips

The minor difference is noise is hardly noticeable in prints...

There's no need to make a big issue over something that u can see only when pixel peeping...

but its good for some buyers (like me) who like to take photos without flash.. so i was trying to see which camera has better ISO3200 .. u do not see it inprints, but then again i dont print.. i normally showcase my photos online at resolution of 800*600, which i think is noticable if a photo has noisy ISO3200 .. hence my research on these cameras @ ISO3200

actually the ability to control the flash will make your images so much better

but well, having everything equal during the test is already showing the goodness of it.. then hving flash will give it further advantage also i guess?

i dont hv a lot of canon lens... so the switch is easier.. i also prefer the typically better build nikon lens, which ofcos cost bit more generally esp the lower end models.

Status
Not open for further replies.