Am I overreacting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefulphoto

I’m a young photographer who has just begun her photography website about a year and a half ago. I’m having a hard time finding business where I’m actually getting paid so I’ve been doing mostly “volunteer” photography through my boyfriend’s business. I’ve done photography for him for events around the city and pictures of employees at his station for the business website and such. I’ve placed my copyright on the photos that I recently did for him at this event and they’re now up on the website and today I went in and did some shots of this new employee there. I took time out of my own schedule and used my own gas to get to there to take the pictures. I then went back home and edited the pictures, sent him the best ones for the website and then he calls me as I’m going out again and says, “Can you resize the photo to this size?” and starts telling me these dimensions. I told him I’d appreciate if he’d give me some credit on the website and then I can change the dimensions for him. He then told me that he didn’t want to put my business name on the website too much as then people would begin asking questions. How can I get around this without sounding like an inconsiderate person? Or am I just totally overreacting? I have a living to make and when I'm taking time out of my own schedule and using my own gas to get to places and they won't even give me credit or pay me, there is something missing there...is there not?

That's the problem with doing business with people close to you. Your effort is treated as a favour rather than a business. Photography is worth a dime a pound if you haven't noticed. I'll write more later in the day.

I've told him before that it'd just be nice to be credited or somehow appreciated for all the work I've done. At this point, I need money fast and I'm to a point where I might just sell my D200 to get the $$ to start paying off my VISA (which is over the limit now!)...it'd just be nice to get some actual $$ for the profession I chose, ya know?

This is when communication comes in. You need to communicate to your boyfriend, discuss with him what is your problem without getting paid, and the need for credits since its a non-paid job. The word is "discuss" and not demand, so that both of you won't get overreact and sour the relationship. If he's understanding, then things would work out eventually.

Not referring to your boyfriend's business but other businesses, you should strike a deal with them, get them to agree on acknowledgment of your photos if you were going to do free photography for them. If they can't agree on that, then it would be just a waste of time, effort and money on your side. Might as well don't take on the job from the start. Well, i still think that you should be charging for your assignments or else you won't be able to survive long in this money world.

I've also done some graphic design work for the website and I've never really gotten paid or credited for it either which really pisses me off. I take time out of my schedule to do these things. This is my profession and I'd be happy to do it for him but I'd really appreciate if he'd acknowledge the fact that I'm trying to make a living for myself through what I was trained to do and that these continuous "favors" for him cannot continue! :)

He then told me that he didn’t want to put my business name on the website too much as then people would begin asking questions.

I'm curious to know what kind of questions is he afraid people will ask. Will it hurt so much to put a simple "Photos courtesy of hopefulphoto" somewhere in the site?

You have a right to get paid for the professional work you put in. Never think you are over reacting on this. Not to say you can't do pro bono work but you got to ask yourself, what is it for? Is this guy a friend? Or is it your boyfriend? You weren't too clear about it but in either case, they should understand that you are making a living out of it. Doing free work for them is a favour because you value this relationship with them and if they place a similar value on this relationship, they ought to at least give you credit where its due, and helping to promote your work among their clients.

Maybe he has a valid reason for not giving you credit. But from experience, I highly doubt it.

No you are not overreacting. IMHO, you deserve better. In a relationship, sometimes you need to sacrifice your time, your gas etc. to make the relationship work. However, when it becomes tricky when you mix business and relationship together.

i turn down shooting my gf family biz dnd. she grumble a little but still she understand.
you have to make your stance clear early on.

anyway event pictures.... those credit not going to help you much. so dun fret too much.

ur BF :thumbsd:

No you are not. Even though you are in a relationship, your photos do end up in a commercial environment and it is only right that you receive something, be it payment or merely credited as you mentioned. Free or volunteer work should be reserved for charities or a good cause, imo.

It is always difficult when you get these kind of requests from bf/gf/family/friends, but if you see yourself as a professional then you really have to work this out, or you'll be out of work. Your time can be better spent working on your portfolio or marketing yourself.

Not all companies are willing to place acknowledgement notices, especially in your case. I bet your bf will say "those were taken by my gf who happens to like to take photos". Get my point? He's not treating you as a business associate and your services is only a favour. Probably its because he still doesn't understand you are actually making a living providing this service for him. He probably respect you as his gf more than a photographer.

You can either, stop working for him altogether and sut your losses or you draw the line between business and relationship and you must get into him the value of your services and time.

On the other hand, you have to watch your expenses. We all get into cash flow problem once ina while but if you had to sell your equipment to pay your debts, then its not good for business at all.

i've learnt never to do commercial shoots for relatives and close friends.

difficult to draw a clear line where $$ is concerned. it can get pretty ugly.

too little, i not happy, they happy.
just nice for me, i happy, they not happy.

if they ever ask u to do a shoot for them again, tell them u need to get paid for ur services.
otherwise, refer them to other photographers.

it's strictly business but i think some ppl can never get that into their thick skull.
it'll get very personal if ur relatives or close friends can't see the business part of it. it's always a favour from start to never-ending end.

Piece of advice, we have tons of suppliers who want to be credited in tv commercials. from locations to clothing brands. Most photographers and crew wont ever ask to be credited. Simple because we wont credit them so they wont bother asking. Why we wont credit? It spoils the picture to have a credit embossed on it. So what they ask for is hard cash for their efforts. Similarly we tell our suppliers, no credit sorry but we can pay you.

What you should be asking for is payment not credits. And frankly credits mean nothing....

ur BF :thumbsd:

and he's just using you :bheart: :thumbsd: time to get a new bf :angel:

well unless you're also using him to build up your portfolio and connections. ;p

even relatives and friends pay me for my photo work. (unless it's charity work and they don't benefit commercially)

You are Not Over Reacting!

The simple fact is, based on what you told us, you boy friend is a moron!

The solution is, to ask him to take down all the pictures youhave shot and web pages you have designed.

Actually, that is a bad idea. You need to change BF model. Dump him.

Why. This is a good indication how he will treat you going forward, even after you get married. You are second fiddle. You wat that kind of relationship?

You are Not Over Reacting!

The simple fact is, based on what you told us, you boy friend is a moron!

The solution is, to ask him to take down all the pictures youhave shot and web pages you have designed.

Actually, that is a bad idea. You need to change BF model. Dump him.

Why. This is a good indication how he will treat you going forward, even after you get married. You are second fiddle. You wat that kind of relationship?
hate to say this deadpoet is rite...dump that bf of yr

Status
Not open for further replies.