Am I making the right decision?? Feel regret!!

I'm newbies in DSLR, am i acting on impulse? I just want something, anything and want it fast and had bought a Pentax K20D without second thought and it was recommended by one of my friend and now feel a bit regret..:think:
Compare to Sony Nex is more easier to snap a close-up n blur background photo (demonstrate by a sales rep at expo)..anyone please advise.:confused:

Don't be fooled by the guy, bro.
The Nex and K20 are both APS-C sized cameras so how much blur ("bokeh") you can achieve depends on the lens aperture, distance of the subject/background and zoom setting. using the 2 lenses available for the Nex (18-55 and 16f/2.8), its a little tougher to get the bokeh. About the main advantage of the nex over the K20 is the size. Its super-duper compact. Otherwise the K20 offers much more adjustment flexibility and controls and of course, more lenses to choose from...(..PENTAX Limited lenses !) . :)

Ehrm, Paging Mr. Airconvent please proceed to this thread, you are needed Immediately. ehrm Badly...
don't worry, Airconvent is our Insider in the orange side and will help you lead the way... :bsmilie:

Thanks for the intro, Bro. ! :hammer:
I'm mostly Red with a touch of Orange and little Green. :bsmilie:

I'm newbies in DSLR, am i acting on impulse? I just want something, anything and want it fast and had bought a Pentax K20D without second thought and it was recommended by one of my friend and now feel a bit regret..:think:
Compare to Sony Nex is more easier to snap a close-up n blur background photo (demonstrate by a sales rep at expo)..anyone please advise.:confused:
both use the same size sensor

all other things being equal, both will be able to produce the same amount of DOF.

you have to read up more......... don't get con by salesmen.

Last edited:
sorry for bokeh i got no xmm photos if you are into that sort of thing.

i have xiao mao mi photos, blur enough?

4875745300_0d533f1712_o.jpg

4891835173_683759de43_o.jpg

4499747823_f0cf1688a3_o.jpg

4465063522_5e891fcd44_o.jpg
\

these were taken with a sony nex-5.........

not, i use a k20d.

TS,
Yes you made a mistake by not doing research. :eek:
No, its not the end of the world. ;)
In fact you were lucky to have gotten a Pentax K20D :D

The community here in the sub-forum is friendly and helpful. (usually won't kenna 'after the fact statements' or "suan" for mistakes or stupid questions).

Join the Pentax outing that is happening tomorrow.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754613
Free lessons conducted by masters there :)
I encourage you to go. Even if its for 30min or 1hr. It will be at least enough for you to pick up some key pointers on camera operation and photo taking.

can you please go anf read up about dslr first, at least the very basics. then go search in flickr for photos taken with your camera, and see how wrong you are

Who says you cant get close ups and blur background photos with the 18-55II?

It is all about understanding your equipment and how to use it properly.
You need to read up on F-stops, distance, focal length etc and how they affect depth of field.

Many people have successfully used the kit lens to produce wonderful photos.

join us tomorrow, can get up to par with technique, lenses, and the celebrities here. that is the fastest way to download information from us friendly folks in this sub-forum. there are also a lot of existing K20D users who can share with you the wonder of their bodies... i meant the camera lah. :bsmilie:

sorry for bokeh i got no xmm photos if you are into that sort of thing.

i have xiao mao mi photos, blur enough?

4875745300_0d533f1712_o.jpg

4891835173_683759de43_o.jpg

4499747823_f0cf1688a3_o.jpg

4465063522_5e891fcd44_o.jpg
\

these were taken with a sony nex-5.........

not, i use a k20d.

nice bokeh....the lengendary cat man is here! :thumbsup:

Hi Dormant,dun worry.

Another way to learn more about this hobby is to buy more & sell more.

You still can buy new set K20D from local shop??..Frankly specking if you really feel regret,
sell me in abit lost, i'm your saver..:devil:..serious pm me.

Last edited:
thanx everyone for brain wash-ing me...lol! I hope i can find someday to join d outing, to brush up my skill!!

Dormant,

how much did you pay for this?

I may want to offload for you;). Pentax lenses are available in selective shops only.:D

Send me a PM OK:bsmilie:

marcus

Dormant,

how much did you pay for this?

I may want to offload for you;). Pentax lenses are available in selective shops only.:D

Send me a PM OK:bsmilie:

marcus

Hello Bro,first come fist serve hor...:bsmilie:

I'll believe Dormant's will choose to keep at the mean time,K20D still selling
like hot cake here.:thumbsup:

Yes, Bokeh has nothing to do with camera but the lens and its aperture.

Yes Nik, I know you come first .... should dormant decides to let go.

I still have K10 d and Kx to play with;) and I dun mind K20d:bsmilie:

marcus

Nik, I bought it from my friend, and it still under warranty for 28mths...hope can meet u guys one day, too funny!! Nik n Marcus: both of u willing to buy my k20? Then c whose willing to offer a higher price...haha,jus kidding la!

Sound like impluse buy to me. Guess u must be very young?

I'm still researching mine. Downloaded a few manual and yet to finish goin thru them! Newer model, I'm reading up their specification and review, since there's no manual.

Anyway, no point regreting a buy. Just make the best out of it and enjoy.

I think to keep it short,

1. Keep the 20D if you decide to be a little more "serious" in taking photography as a hobby. Meaning, you'll buy more lenses in future to explore more on photography. Don't mind the weight and bulk of the 20D.

2. Sell your 20D and get the NEX instead if all you want is to take pics of better quality as compared to point n shoot cams, even DSLR-quality pics is possible. What you get is, very limited lenses , but a very light and small cam.

Actually, I've got many friends who buy a Lumix GF1, Oypmpus PEN or SOny NEX for the secnod reason.

nex use electronic viewfinder.. i never like it... its lenses are limited also .. k20 is definitely my choice if i will to choose between these 2.

pentax releasing a cheap 35mm f2.4 soon... it gives one ton of bokeh!
:)

Nik, I bought it from my friend, and it still under warranty for 28mths...hope can meet u guys one day, too funny!! Nik n Marcus: both of u willing to buy my k20? Then c whose willing to offer a higher price...haha,jus kidding la!

Yup, Bryan sold it to you.:) first priority cos he is your friend. Keep this camera and buy some cheapo lens like M50 f1.7 or f1.4 , manual and you will have nice bokeh wide open:bsmilie:

K20 is no longer in production, its a Gems now:bsmilie:

marcus

keep your k20.. invest in a manual and cheap fast 50mm lens and get the katzeye..
just my pov..