Am i make a right decission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrkcw

Jan 5, 2008
hi...i just get my 2nd hand nikon 18-135 for my nikon d60...
so i found tht the camera cannot detect the lens and i hav to remount again or simply re-adjust the lens then the problem solve....but not often lah....

any user of this lens got this problem??

can tell me the IQ of this lens compare to my kit lens 18-55vr??
i feel that the VR can get a more sharp pic than my 18-135 in term of low light situation...
but in sufficient light...i think even no VR also can get sharp pic...right???
thx

i barely understand you, but if i think i got wad u mean...
1) Check the contact points of both ur lens and body, just a light wipe could help.
2) The only way the VR wld help get sharper images is if motion blur comes into play and VR helps reduce it, in low light where u got to shoot in a lower shutter speed...
With all other variables being the same, VR would not affect the IQ of a lens...
3) Not all lenses by Nikon have VR, but i believe they all, in the right hands, can produce sharp and good pictures;)

i barely understand you, but if i think i got wad u mean...
1) Check the contact points of both ur lens and body, just a light wipe could help.
2) The only way the VR wld help get sharper images is if motion blur comes into play and VR helps reduce it, in low light where u got to shoot in a lower shutter speed...
With all other variables being the same, VR would not affect the IQ of a lens...
3) Not all lenses by Nikon have VR, but i believe they all, in the right hands, can produce sharp and good pictures;)

hi...what is ur mean by (just a light wipe could help)...thx...but while i zoom up to 135...the pic i get is always blur...Haiz....but the 18-135 is wht i want for the cheaper walkaround lens...no choice loh...have to persuade myself to bear with those problem...haha

hi...what is ur mean by (just a light wipe could help)...thx...but while i zoom up to 135...the pic i get is always blur...Haiz....but the 18-135 is wht i want for the cheaper walkaround lens...no choice loh...have to persuade myself to bear with those problem...haha

Why 18-135 blurr blurr? Is it due to handshake or something wrong with the lens? Have you tried to find out, than to live with the doubts?

is not that easy to hand hold way past 70mm onwards in low light conditions, that's why i got rid of my 18-70mm for a VR lens.
use a tripod for best results.
be prepared, in cloudy days at tele end zoom, sometimes the pic may even be blur, no matter how steady you hold the cam body and the lens.

Last edited:
the camera cannot detect the lens sometimes, and shows error FEE correct? thats normal with the 18-135. its plastic build (even the mount is plastic) results in poor connection. just twist it gently until it detects again.

i have no issues with blur/out of focus/whatever you mean on the lens. are you viewing the image on your lcd, or on a computer monitor? As kit has said, stop blaming the lens, take a look at your technique/usage of the lens.

What apeture, shutter speed and iso are you using when you say its blur at the 135mm end? how far away is your subject? auto or manual focus? those are just a few of the factors that could have resulted in the image being blur. as people always say, NPNT

Why 18-135 blurr blurr? Is it due to handshake or something wrong with the lens? Have you tried to find out, than to live with the doubts?

i think is due to my hand shake...as i try to use tripod...thwn i can get a sharp pic....i think nothing wrong with the lens....

the camera cannot detect the lens sometimes, and shows error FEE correct? thats normal with the 18-135. its plastic build (even the mount is plastic) results in poor connection. just twist it gently until it detects again.

i have no issues with blur/out of focus/whatever you mean on the lens. are you viewing the image on your lcd, or on a computer monitor? As kit has said, stop blaming the lens, take a look at your technique/usage of the lens.

What apeture, shutter speed and iso are you using when you say its blur at the 135mm end? how far away is your subject? auto or manual focus? those are just a few of the factors that could have resulted in the image being blur. as people always say, NPNT

hi....u r right...wht i want to say is sometime i twist the lens gently...then can detect the lens....is it really normal for 18-135???my kit lens b4 do not hav this problem leh....can i send to service as still under warranty...i shoot the pic indoor at shutter speed around 1/20 ,1/10 or 1/5.then quite easy to get a blur pic,,hahaha...i shoot for those speed at 135mm...

i think is due to my hand shake...as i try to use tripod...thwn i can get a sharp pic....i think nothing wrong with the lens....

This test took you less than the 21 hours between your initial post and now, right? ;)

This test took you less than the 21 hours between your initial post and now, right? ;)

hahah....u r clever.....but the lens still got the detect problem huh.....i mean not often lah..

I have used this lens model on few nikon bodies b4. nv had such nonsense. send it in for servicing. it doesn't sound right.

Althou 18-135 is a gd range, IMHO, ur kit lens is "better". but ultimately, it is u who decides.

I have used this lens model on few nikon bodies b4. nv had such nonsense. send it in for servicing. it doesn't sound right.

Althou 18-135 is a gd range, IMHO, ur kit lens is "better". but ultimately, it is u who decides.

huh!!!!im so sad to hear tht leh.....then i make a wrong decission loh....so sianz now....but kit lens better in wht???can tell me...thx...

you do realise that making a 'wrong decision' has nothing to do with your photography skills right? Supposing you did make the right choice, are your photos going to be jaw-dropping better? i think not :sweat:

I think you need some inspiration:
check this link out!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/450936@N22/pool/

all snapped with your 'lousy' 18-135mm ;)

cheers,
Trent

huh!!!!im so sad to hear tht leh.....then i make a wrong decission loh....so sianz now....but kit lens better in wht???can tell me...thx...

i don't have the 2 lenses with me anymore, i can't do a side by side comparisons now. all i notice (when i used it) was that the vr was really useful in indoors, and the weight and size feels right on a D60. sharpness wise, nv really took notice of it.

there is something tat i need u to note. whether right or wrong decision, its very subjective. some ppl feels that the range is very useful and is willing to forego the vr. if u think its a wrong decision, most prob this lens does not suit u, take it as a learning experience.

P.S. get the problem fixed b4 u say u don't like that lens.

you do realise that making a 'wrong decision' has nothing to do with your photography skills right? Supposing you did make the right choice, are your photos going to be jaw-dropping better? i think not :sweat:

I think you need some inspiration:
check this link out!
http://www.flickr.com/groups/450936@N22/pool/

all snapped with your 'lousy' 18-135mm ;)

cheers,
Trent

WOW...all those pic are stunning....i think u giv me this link is wanna let me knw tht i wanna improve my skill....really thanks ur remind huh....u always give me an answer tht make me clear..but i wonder those pic under low light got use tripod to support....

i don't have the 2 lenses with me anymore, i can't do a side by side comparisons now. all i notice (when i used it) was that the vr was really useful in indoors, and the weight and size feels right on a D60. sharpness wise, nv really took notice of it.

there is something tat i need u to note. whether right or wrong decision, its very subjective. some ppl feels that the range is very useful and is willing to forego the vr. if u think its a wrong decision, most prob this lens does not suit u, take it as a learning experience.

P.S. get the problem fixed b4 u say u don't like that lens.
okie....i think i will still stick with the 18-135 1st....then get practice and get wht i like to shoot more,,,,then only consider other lens...is it ok???hahaha

isnt u r the one that know which is better for u? sharpness is not the end of the world thingy....catch the moment, focus pt.

Status
Not open for further replies.