am i breaking the law?

niteblade

Feb 23, 2008
Hi friends, i took a great picture of a newborn baby and submitted it to join a photo competition. However, after submitting the picture, the father has told me that he doesnt want his son's photo to be up (although babies all look the same and he posted my pictures on facebook -.-)

am i obligated to withdraw my submission?

who owns copyright to the picture? me(because i shot it) or him (because the baby is in it?)

and legally, who is in the right?

Last edited:
Have a look at the Photo Biz section. The same is often discussed for different situations, like wedding.
Basic question: did the father ask you to take the shot [and offered any kinds of reward / payments]? If yes, then he owns the copyright. If not, you have the copyright and can do whatever you want.

no payment/reward was offered for the shoot. However he did agree to let me take pictures in his presence

does this mean i have copyright?

no payment/reward was offered for the shoot. However he did agree to let me take pictures in his presence
According my understanding you are the owner of the copyright.
More to read for you: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/thre...-for-Photographers-to-understand-their-rights
But there is a flip side of copyright: the enforcing and the resulting [possible] damages to relations, here to the father.

you own the copyrights,
a person appear in a photo does not make him/she owns the photo, the photo is belong to the creator unless is under the term of "work for hire".

tho you own the photo, you can do whatever you deem fit, but it is alway nice to seek consent before you use it, a little bit of kind gesture will go a long way.

as for the photo competition, you better read the T&C carefully, you may have already kiss your photo goodbye when you submitted it for competition, and at the moment you partake the photo competition, you have agreed with their terms. you probably can't take back anything that does not belong to you.

Hi friends, i took a great picture of a newborn baby and submitted it to join a photo competition. However, after submitting the picture, the father has told me that he doesnt want his son's photo to be up (although babies all look the same and he posted my pictures on facebook -.-)

am i obligated to withdraw my submission?

who owns copyright to the picture? me(because i shot it) or him (because the baby is in it?)

and legally, who is in the right?

oooops! Might be too late to withdraw.

As catchlights has stated, you own the copyright.
However, is it worthwhile to insist on your rights, whilst risking damage to your relationship with the newborn's father?

this is a misunderstanding that is caused by both parties

1. the father agreeing without thinking any further
2. you the photog who should at least ask permission for image of subject to be used BEFORE it was submitted

ultimately...... YOU own the copyright to the image.....

explain the situation...... if you want to be nice guy, at least make the effort to write in to organizers to withdraw the submission ....

otherwise offer the dad a carrot to share the prize if it ends up winning something

have to use plenty of EQ to recover this akward situation

To sell the photo you would require a release form.
as for competition I'm not sure though. anyone?

What ever u do now, just don't pissed off the father. Although u have the rights to the photo, Use a soft approach in this situation. Go for a win-win situation;)

this is a misunderstanding that is caused by both parties

1. the father agreeing without thinking any further
2. you the photog who should at least ask permission for image of subject to be used BEFORE it was submitted

ultimately...... YOU own the copyright to the image.....

explain the situation...... if you want to be nice guy, at least make the effort to write in to organizers to withdraw the submission ....

otherwise offer the dad a carrot to share the prize if it ends up winning something

have to use plenty of EQ to recover this akward situation

or be a **** and say SG no privacy law. what u can see, u shoot, its urs hahaha... so... u have the angel, the human and the :devil:

or be a **** and say SG no privacy law. what u can see, u shoot, its urs hahaha... so... u have the angel, the human and the :devil:

Try this "rule" at the customs and you will be almost arrested on the spot :p

From what I read, there is no such thing as 'release form' in SG. It exists (and is required) in other countries, though.

SkyStrike said:
Try this "rule" at the customs and you will be almost arrested on the spot :p

Crazy ah... :sweatsm::sweatsm:

I'm not a lawyer, but to my knowledge, this is what I can share with you. If you want to have proper legal advice on this matter, it is necessary to consult a lawyer specialize in this area.

If you read the content of the release form, you will know what is all about, AFAIK, no one is able to sue another party for using images of their likeness for commercial purpose locally.
release form usually only applies on places which anyone can sue someone for anything.

most T&C of the competitions are written by legal advisers, so if the usages of the images are limited to local base only, probably will omit the requirement of release form.

anyway, ones should read the T&C of the competitions carefully before entering the contest, the T&C is to protect the front and the rear of the organizers, without reading it, you probably get screw-ed.

FYI, all customs are restrict areas for all forms of photography.

IIRC, those protected installments like police/army guarded areas restricts all forms of photography as well.

vali subjective.........how abt pic taken by paparazzi? some magazine also kenna sued big big