Am I being conned? Or it's worth buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madwolfnemesis

Jul 4, 2005
I got the following from Worldwide Cameras @ Peninsula:

Canon 350D with KIT @ S$1760 NETT
30L DRY Cabinet @ S$99 NETT
58mm Polariser Lens @ S$20 NETT
Vitacon Wide Angle Macro LENS (0.42X) @ S$250 NETT
58mm UV Lens (FREE)
Camera Pouch @ S$25 NETT

All in all, I paid S$2150 NETT after a bit of deductions...

My question is, I am not sure if the macro lens is so expensive... but the uncle looks trustworthy, that's y I got from them... please advise..

Not sure if the macro lens (more like an adaptor) can be used on your 350D... sounds funny

I think he bought them already..... The shop shouldn't be selling you items that you can't use.

Eh, I bought le....

why is it useless? he recommended it to me because I told him I like macro shots..

anyway, it fits 350D

can fit (actually, it fits the lens, not the camera) doesn't mean good. there are much better and cheaper alternatives out there.

Anyway, I like it alot and he's very friendly, that's why bought from him...

His initial question was very simple and funny...

"How much is your 350D?"

"How much are u quoted?"

"$1760 NETT"

"Okay then.That price."

Haha

madwolfnemesis said:
Eh, I bought le....

why is it useless? he recommended it to me because I told him I like macro shots..

anyway, it fits 350D

Because you can get a dedicated macro lense with much better image quality and with better reproduction ratios?

And you buy a DSLR so that you can take advantage of interchangable lenses rather than having to buy conversion adaptors?

mpenza said:
can fit (actually, it fits the lens, not the camera) doesn't mean good. there are much better and cheaper alternatives out there.

So is it very expensive? Actually, I dun know le... TO be honest a normal 0.42X macro lens, how much does it usually cost?

it's not so much the price, but whether it is suitable for your setup (ie DSLR)
but on your part, you should have done your research before buying.

dunno the price but these are meant for low resolution video cameras. what you get is a close-up filter. you could get high quality Hoya/Nikon/Canon alternatives for less.

My friend bought a Vitacon 62mm Wide angle with macro len
form AP for around $150 last time.
But quite useless.. :sweat:

mpenza said:
dunno the price but these are meant for low resolution video cameras. what you get is a close-up filter. you could get high quality Hoya/Nikon/Canon alternatives for less.

I agreed that I should have done my research... anyway... well... hai...

I was too soft and he was too persistant yet friendly..

Haha

see if you can get it changed for something else since you only bought it today.

I doubt they will do it.. I mean... they would rather earn a larger profit than to let me exchange for something that they'll profit it for little

you can tell them that you were misled into buying the converter/lens. It is quite unprofessional for them to recommend you sthg that is not suitable.

But it fit unto the lens le... well.. nvm lar... just take it as a lesson and don't buy from them anymore..

any good shop to recommend for cheap and good lens then?

the usual suspects - MS Color, Cathay Photos....

at least the pple there (most) have the decency not to rip off newbies

Regardless of the wide-angle lens issue, you've got a great camera that's very capable. Enjoy. ;)

haha... thanks...

that's something really consoling...

and I have LOTS to learn...

Photography is a very good art...

Status
Not open for further replies.