Am I being cheated, please help a newbie to pro photography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindSpot

May 1, 2008
Well, I am very new to pro photography. Recently, got myself a Canon S5IS.

Then read about it's better to use adapter with hood or filter for nice photos. So forgetting to research first cause was still excited over my new cam, I went pass a shop in orchard and went in to ask about the lens adapter and stuffs.

The shop salesman intro me to a $38 adapter and a $62 (all before GST) Sunblitz CPL lens. At first I do not feel anything strange. But after playing around with the filter, I found the wordings printed on the side of the filter lens are PEELING off....OMG. Then I started to worry, and try to search to find out more about it. The filter lens is 58mm Sunblitz CPL lens. However, I do not seems to find any info on this particular lens.

Am I taken for a ride by the salesman? Is my purchase over board in term of price?

Pro photographers, please help this newbie soul. Thanks. At least I can learn something from this lesson if that is that case of me being taken for a ride.

Thanks.

Probably yes, but look at the bright side, it didn't involve several hundreds of dollars.

Heck, I've used my fingers to scrape off the finishing on $1K lenses out of sheer boredom waiting for clients. Didn't affect the picture quality any and made my equipment look more banged up and therefore, 'PRO'!. :devil:

Next time, do the homework first.

yes, seems like you have been overcharged.

but the word peeling off simply means that the filter is most likely poor quality, that's about it. both still can be used. don't worry too much about it, everybody learns in one way or another, this is just a step in your learning. ;)

orchard and simlim sq seems to be quite popular for this kinda despicable acts.

yes, treat it as a school fee for learning something will never be taught in the class.

and next time do your home work before do shopping.

and please don't use the words "pro" here and there, it does not make any sense.

orchard and simlim sq seems to be quite popular for this kinda despicable acts.

Considering this is quite a well known fact, I wonder why there are so many people still going to these places. Seriously, people should do their homework first. You'd think this would be common sense, *especially* if they know how to come to ClubSnap and complain.

Sorry man, in this day and age, with information so readily available, there is simply no excuse - if you get royally ripped off, chances are, you deserve it.

And yes, "newbie to pro photography" sounds almost like an oxymoron.

Sorry man, in this day and age, with information so readily available, there is simply no excuse

hey bro,
i can sympathize, but i kinda agree with synapseman. I don't see myself as a 'pro' and i'm sure many others in clupsnap don't either!
so... research research research!
(unless yr rich enough to make these kinda mistakes :sweatsm:)

Orchard Road shops are for those with deep pockets.

Okay, so may I know roughly how much would a good 58mm CPL filter cost roughly. Hehee, just want to know how big of a sucker and idiot am I. Best if you guys can recommend me any good filter, wide angle lens and

Yeah I agreed with you all, I got too excited. I was happy with my Canon S5IS let it get over my head want to get some toys to add on till I forget the essential research before getting the adapter and lens. Silly me.

Thanks guys for the comment. Yeah, a small painful lesson learned indeed.

Orchard Road shops are for those with deep pockets.

I think it's more of a case of Orchard Road shops are for those who are ignorant. It's not just the prices; their attitude really pisses me off. I've heard one shopowner greeting a foreigner with a BIG smile, saying "Hello Mr. Ch**By*! How are you today!"

i bought a hoya 67mm for about 60 from cathay photo :confused:

wah sounds ex.
i got 67 B+W mrc from john for 95...
feels damn solid

Okay, so may I know roughly how much would a good 58mm CPL filter cost roughly. Hehee, just want to know how big of a sucker and idiot am I. Best if you guys can recommend me any good filter, wide angle lens and

Yeah I agreed with you all, I got too excited. I was happy with my Canon S5IS let it get over my head want to get some toys to add on till I forget the essential research before getting the adapter and lens. Silly me.

It is a honest mistake. Let's move on. ;)

Seriously, though. You should ask around the shops CSers go to like Cathay, John 3:16, Camera Workshop, etc, etc. I do check the on-line stores too to see what is available out there. Price varies with the brands. Often I find Hoya filters good enough for me. In addition, I avoid on-the-spot purchases, especially big-ticket items.

If you ask such a generic question ("how much is a good filter?") chances are you will always end up with a high bill. Not necessarily that people cheat you but rather they sell you high-end stuff that you might not need.
For the PowerShot series you need the basic adapter for lenses and filters. Most likely that's the point where you got really cheated. 38 bucks for a piece of plastic with no optical function is daylight robbery. The price for the filter looks ok - but you can get better quality for the same money. For the lenses you can check first with Canon about the product number. Then have a look at Yahoo auctions to see which 3rd party models there are around. But there isn't much choice.
Regarding Sunblitz ... can't say much but the website looks cheap.

Anyway thanks to the tips and comment. I will remember them.

By the way where's Cathay, John 3:16 and the other good shop located. Can share. I seen them mentioned here and there when I am stalking other thread. But have not come across any mention about their location.

Yeah, talking about HOYA, the shop owner show me broacher of HOYA but intro me SunBlitz, I did not mind getting it at first cause I seen a thread here saying it's not bad. Anyway, it does what it does to help to block some reflection as claimed by the salesman. So still not so bad, just that I feel sad about paying a high price if the normal cost is lower than what I purchase at.

So question again, should this CPL 58mm filter block out most reflections or some reflections. At the moment it can only block out slight reflection, not those strong reflections as they still show clearly from water surface and packaging surface.

Thanks again.

may be must ask adam goi to start "SEED" again?

Professor Utonium, pls help, lots of power puff girls and boys are getting cheated.... HELP!!! :)

may be must ask adam goi to start "SEED" again?

Professor Utonium, pls help, lots of power puff girls and boys are getting cheated.... HELP!!! :)

Wow wow wow. This is damn helpful, you are my saviour. Thanks.

how u determine good?
and i duno abt price of 58mm

Anyway both my 72mm Kenko Pro1 Digital UV and CPL are $50 and $100 respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.