Always leave filter on lens as protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwellian

Oct 1, 2003
Is it a good idea to always leave either a uv or skyligt filter on the lens as a protection for the lens? I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.

Maxwellian said:
Is it a good idea to always leave either a uv or skyligt filter on the lens as a protection for the lens? I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.

to me... it is a gd idea... and adding a clear piece of glass does not make much difference to me in the picture quality... at least, i dun see a difference... :embrass:

I think it is a 'must' list. 99% of the lenses you see will have this on them.

White Balance said:
If u use a pastic UV filter, it will block a small amount if light enter the lens.

If u use a high quality lens, u should use glass UV filter instead but it cost more exp.

It is better to have UV filter on all the time. A lens hook is an additional protection too. :)

i use vitacon uv filter... buy 2nd hand dat time the person gv one... haha...

its better to 'wear a cap' for protection than to reget it later.

the cost of repairing a lens may be more expensive than replacing a crack filter.

I use B&W UV filter in all my lenses except for the 17-35 mm and 12-24 mm (don't use any filter at all for these lenses).

Maxwellian said:
I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.

If your lens is a prosumer, i.e. L-glass for Canon, then spend a little more to get a B+W (shouldn't be an issue since you can afford a L). However for dumb people like myself, I doubt I pick up the difference just by looking @ the image ... :D

White Balance said:
If u use a pastic UV filter, it will block a small amount if light enter the lens.

If u use a high quality lens, u should use glass UV filter instead but it cost more exp.

It is better to have UV filter on all the time. A lens hook is an additional protection too. :)

Got plastic UV filter meh? Where to buy and what brand manufacture this kind of plastic UV filter?

leave it on for protection haha....i get some kinnda UV for all my lenses...

cut off light...TTL metering solves tt

White Balance said:
Well, good for u.

I use B&W UV filter for all my 4 L lens. :D
u change to b+w liao? the last time i saw your lens was some $20 filter :blah:

Maxwellian said:
Why not shoot 2 same scene with/without filters, blow up 20x30 and then see if there're differences?

White Balance said:
Well,

I use Hoya filter (I think it is make of plastic loh) before I change to B&W (glass)

U can get it from most well know camera shop. I got my at CP.
Wah liew, hoya also use glass lah. Well, at least i haven't seen the plastic ones yet.

ltma said:
I use B&W UV filter in all my lenses except for the 17-35 mm and 12-24 mm (don't use any filter at all for these lenses).

Why dont you use filters on the '17-35 mm and 12-24 mm' ? Does it spoil the images??

White Balance said:
Is it ? Maybe tonight I take one Hoya UV filter and crack it to find out loh. ;p

Thanks for pointing out :D

I have dropped and cracked Hoya filters many times... definitely glass :D

JAG said:
Why dont you use filters on the '17-35 mm and 12-24 mm' ? Does it spoil the images??

Some filters will cause vignetting... especially wide angle lenses. 17-35 definitely have.

why put a cheapo piece of glass over a $1000+ lens?

Maxwellian said:

nickk said:
Some filters will cause vignetting... especially wide angle lenses. 17-35 definitely have.

What makes u say that? :think: I am using 77mm L37C UV on Nikkor AFS 17-35 without problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.