Always leave filter on lens as protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwellian

Oct 1, 2003
Is it a good idea to always leave either a uv or skyligt filter on the lens as a protection for the lens? I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.

bsplenden

Mar 25, 2004
holland ave
Maxwellian said:
Is it a good idea to always leave either a uv or skyligt filter on the lens as a protection for the lens? I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.
to me... it is a gd idea... and adding a clear piece of glass does not make much difference to me in the picture quality... at least, i dun see a difference... :embrass:

jbma

Dec 28, 2003
Tampines
I think it is a 'must' list. 99% of the lenses you see will have this on them.

bsplenden

Mar 25, 2004
holland ave
White Balance said:
If u use a pastic UV filter, it will block a small amount if light enter the lens.

If u use a high quality lens, u should use glass UV filter instead but it cost more exp.

It is better to have UV filter on all the time. A lens hook is an additional protection too. :)
i use vitacon uv filter... buy 2nd hand dat time the person gv one... haha...

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
its better to 'wear a cap' for protection than to reget it later.

the cost of repairing a lens may be more expensive than replacing a crack filter.

ltma

Jul 20, 2004
Singapore
I use B&W UV filter in all my lenses except for the 17-35 mm and 12-24 mm (don't use any filter at all for these lenses).

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Maxwellian said:
I hear lots of people recommending that but I thought that adding another glass to the lens will actually deteriorate the optics. Please advise -thanks.
If your lens is a prosumer, i.e. L-glass for Canon, then spend a little more to get a B+W (shouldn't be an issue since you can afford a L). However for dumb people like myself, I doubt I pick up the difference just by looking @ the image ... :D

XXX Boy

Jan 11, 2004
GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
White Balance said:
If u use a pastic UV filter, it will block a small amount if light enter the lens.

If u use a high quality lens, u should use glass UV filter instead but it cost more exp.

It is better to have UV filter on all the time. A lens hook is an additional protection too. :)
Got plastic UV filter meh? Where to buy and what brand manufacture this kind of plastic UV filter?

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
leave it on for protection haha....i get some kinnda UV for all my lenses...

cut off light...TTL metering solves tt

quekky

Sep 13, 2003
www.irphotography.com
White Balance said:
Well, good for u.

I use B&W UV filter for all my 4 L lens. :D
u change to b+w liao? the last time i saw your lens was some $20 filter :blah:

Minoxman

Deregistered
Feb 27, 2004
Maxwellian said:
Why not shoot 2 same scene with/without filters, blow up 20x30 and then see if there're differences?

Poon

Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
White Balance said:
Well,

I use Hoya filter (I think it is make of plastic loh) before I change to B&W (glass)

U can get it from most well know camera shop. I got my at CP.
Wah liew, hoya also use glass lah. Well, at least i haven't seen the plastic ones yet.

JAG

Jun 18, 2004
SG
www.pbase.com
ltma said:
I use B&W UV filter in all my lenses except for the 17-35 mm and 12-24 mm (don't use any filter at all for these lenses).
Why dont you use filters on the '17-35 mm and 12-24 mm' ? Does it spoil the images??

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
White Balance said:
Is it ? Maybe tonight I take one Hoya UV filter and crack it to find out loh. ;p

Thanks for pointing out :D
I have dropped and cracked Hoya filters many times... definitely glass :D

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
JAG said:
Why dont you use filters on the '17-35 mm and 12-24 mm' ? Does it spoil the images??
Some filters will cause vignetting... especially wide angle lenses. 17-35 definitely have.

kiwitan

Nov 25, 2002
谁是你
www.liveleak.com
why put a cheapo piece of glass over a $1000+ lens?

Maxwellian said:

CAMEDIA

Sep 29, 2003
Tomato Town
nickk said:
Some filters will cause vignetting... especially wide angle lenses. 17-35 definitely have.
What makes u say that? :think: I am using 77mm L37C UV on Nikkor AFS 17-35 without problems. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.