Always have a backup..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox

Feb 15, 2004
Bedok
*sobz*

Just 1 week from transferring my archives of photos I've taken to my backup drive (the only thing I have only 1 copy of), it crashed today.. Turned on the PC and *click* *click*.... Sheesh...

Maybe this is a sign that I really need to upgrade my PC soon.. Good thing the main drive is still surviving with 1 year left on it's 5 year warranty.

Firefox said:
*sobz*

Just 1 week from transferring my archives of photos I've taken to my backup drive (the only thing I have only 1 copy of), it crashed today.. Turned on the PC and *click* *click*.... Sheesh...

Maybe this is a sign that I really need to upgrade my PC soon.. Good thing the main drive is still surviving with 1 year left on it's 5 year warranty.

Hi, Sad to hear your loss.. But btw what's the drive brand? I had this problem of losing hdds with archives years back until I realised that that PSU is the main culprit of damaging your hdds. Ever since I bought a Good PSU, I had no harddrive failure for last two yrs.. (Btw I had more than 5 hdds) ;)

Same here. When I bought an expensive PSU I don't have any disk crash. I too have 6 HD on my pc.

Sad to hear about your loss. Actually I think that it is better to have at least 2 copies of backup, never mind the cost. Currently I am backing my photos to both CDs and DVDs. These media do not last long and most good brands should last around 3 - 5 years (forget those claims about 100 year archival qualities). What I did was that I diligently make fresh backup copies every three years. It doesn't cost much actually, now with the price of good quality CDs and DVDs coming down due to competition. As for harddisk, they are fast and good but still prone to mechanical failure.

Anyone has any good backup solutions which they wanted to share here?

what are good PSUs?

Well go get a TDK DVD DL/DF......Fuwell selling $139.00 for the 8x....

Man after getting it, i never look back as backing up thru DVDs is simple.

For a 4.7GB data, a 8x can burn in at around 8mins max...

So me not afraid if my 160GB crashes......hehe :p

some time ago, i burned a 4.7 gb of files to a dvd. upon confirming that the files were in the dvd, i keep it in my dry cabin. weeks later, i load my dvd back into my drive and there were nothing it (0 byte, 0 files). dvd is not so safe - afterall.

ahbeng said:
some time ago, i burned a 4.7 gb of files to a dvd. upon confirming that the files were in the dvd, i keep it in my dry cabin. weeks later, i load my dvd back into my drive and there were nothing it (0 byte, 0 files). dvd is not so safe - afterall.

So far besides me using it, my other friends use it as well. They do not seem to have your kind of problem. Some one must have switch your data DVD....hehe :D

Check your drive and software.......again

I've seen those DVD writer with double layer. Does that mean I get 4.7GB×2? What about rewritable DVD? Is it reliable and suitable as backup?

One problem I have is that I have constantly changing files and that is always a window between backups.

I am now thinking of getting a 160GB×2 mirror set and backup to DVD.

hwchoy said:
I've seen those DVD writer with double layer. Does that mean I get 4.7GB×2? What about rewritable DVD? Is it reliable and suitable as backup?

One problem I have is that I have constantly changing files and that is always a window between backups.

Nope. It's only 8.5GB. Although it's stated as that but I think you get about 8.2GB when it's fully recorded. The software is rather ex at the moment. I saw at SL yesterday about $17.00 a pc for the Dual Layer DVD while the normal 8X is about 3.50-4.00 pc which depends on the brand.

RW are more ex plus life span is shorter when you keep RW.

Shelf life for DVD is roughly about 5 years....or so. It could be longer or shorter.

Pro Image said:
Nope. It's only 8.5GB. Although it's stated as that but I think you get about 8.2GB when it's fully recorded. The software is rather ex at the moment. I saw at SL yesterday about $17.00 a pc for the Dual Layer DVD while the normal 8X is about 3.50-4.00 pc which depends on the brand.

Shelf life for DVD is roughly about 5 years....or so. It could be longer or shorter.

Wah.

>>SHAMELESS PLUG<<
If you guys are going to SLS, you can go to my branch there (6th floor - look for Pin Pin or any of the young boys there). For Funan, come visit me lor (can look for my staff oso)... DL disk is going for $15. Other DVDs (various speeds) at slightly lower prices.

Pro Image said:

there should be writers that can write both R and RW format right? I've lost count how many different formats already. But I'm thinking a Write-Once for storage of the RAW files and RW for working folders.

VincentLin said:
Wah.

>>SHAMELESS PLUG<<
If you guys are going to SLS, you can go to my branch there (6th floor - look for Pin Pin or any of the young boys there). For Funan, come visit me lor (can look for my staff oso)... DL disk is going for $15. Other DVDs (various speeds) at slightly lower prices.

eh your knife got polish sharp sharp anot? :eek: or CS member got discount :)

VincentLin said:
Wah.

>>SHAMELESS PLUG<<

what is your price? PM so at least I know. I do plenty of data back-up as I have plenty of photos.

VincentLin said:
Wah.

>>SHAMELESS PLUG<<
CS members got discount or not ;p I always buy from your shop 1 leh... bought so much cdr & dvd liao

hwchoy said:

Backups should be offline ( ie, disconnected from your PC ). If you use a mirror, but you accidentally deleted some files, or a virus or trojan deletes your files, it will be gone from the mirror as well. So, mirrors I think aren't very effective for this reason. They are only good if one of the drives crashes.

chriszzz said:
Backups should be offline ( ie, disconnected from your PC ). If you use a mirror, but you accidentally deleted some files, or a virus or trojan deletes your files, it will be gone from the mirror as well. So, mirrors I think aren't very effective for this reason. They are only good if one of the drives crashes.

Yes I am thinking to protect against hardware failure. Accidental deletion is after all your own fault, and can be avoided by care and diligence, and also can be recovered by undelete utilities. But hardware failure is pretty much out of your hands.

Actually I am thinking of mirror set and DVD for off-line backup.

There is a last resort for this...try searching the net. Its got something to do with chucking ur KO'ed HDD into the freezer for some time...should be able to revive it just long enough for you to transfer out vital files. Read about it before, but never had to do it myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.