Always get a X...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCBox

Feb 13, 2002
West Coast
My picture always attch as a img encoder. But when is post out, it just got a big X...nothing...the picture is no more there. So I ask any suggestion on how do I attach a pict. Many Thanks for the help.:cry:

Originally posted by xeno

from the website...
Unlimited free storage of all your digital pictures.
Maximum size 20MB per image and 40MB per video.

The X The X

frontview-001.jpg

I can understand sites like dpreview getting pissed off that people are 'pinching' their images, but 'public' sites that don't allow hyperlinking does seem to be contrary to what the WWW is all about.

They shouldn'd be allowed to call them web servers in my opinion. They aren't serving to the 'web', they are just document servers. Actually they are just 'advertisment' servers.
I gather the usual reason for blocking hyperlinking is to stop people from getting around the banner adds.

I operate my own web server, configured the way I want it to be configured :)

Originally posted by matthew
I can understand sites like dpreview getting pissed off that people are 'pinching' their images, but 'public' sites that don't allow hyperlinking does seem to be contrary to what the WWW is all about. They shouldn'd be allowed to call them web servers in my opinion. They aren't serving to the 'web', they are just document servers. Actually they are just 'advertisment' servers.
I gather the usual reason for blocking hyperlinking is to stop people from getting around the banner adds.
Actually, one of the far more pressing reasons is the amount of bandwidth consumed (and hence the increased cost) if people starting putting all sorts of external direct links. This is why even sites like pbase.com (which doesn't put up advertisements) don't allow external links for non-paying user accounts.

THANK YOU MIDNIGHT!

From someone that runs a free site that features hot linking (OpenLens.com I'm glad to see that someone understands :D . Overall, I'd say that > 2/3 of the 30GB+ a month that OpenLens consumes is from hotlinking. And for those sites that depend on pay-per-click ad revenue (not OpenLens...yet) that's a lot of bandwith bleeding from your website that's not from people actually visiting your website.

Now take a site like GeoCities or DPreview that has hundreds or thousands of times more users than OpenLens does...I'm wondering of Matthew would be willing the pay the 3+ terrabyte bandwidth bill every month in the spirit of "what the WWW is all about"? ;)

Originally posted by OpenLens
THANK YOU MIDNIGHT!

And for those sites that depend on pay-per-click ad revenue (not OpenLens...yet) that's a lot of bandwith bleeding from your website that's not from people actually visiting your website.

Now whats a visit ?

At any rate i'm sure the 'banner add' revinue is dropping at the rate it is, as the advertisers are realizing people ignore them or install add blockers....

I think it's quite simple - no such thing as a free lunch. Unfortunatly these sites with their restrictive server configurations and their apparent 'freeness' are giving the new comers a distorted view of the WWW. If you can't 'web' the server shouldn't be called one.
It should be an 'advertising supported public document server'.

I know what bandwidth costs, I reconcile the internet bills for work. We are volume charged for all inbound traffic. I know what the likes of Napster/Kazza (or any other 'free' peer to peer' program) costs to use. I see the bills.

Now whats a visit ?

A visit is someone actually visiting your website. If you have an 'advert supported public document server' that allows leeching, you will fail. Why? Because 2/3 or more of the bandwidth that you pay for from the advertising is for traffic to other sites, not yours! That is my point.

Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch. Sometimes there are folks who like to do something for free just for the "cool factor" or because they are pissed at other free services (like me and OpenLens ) but our resources to provide a free service are extremely limited. As you stated, most ad systems don't work...donations? Yeah, right. I would hazzard a guess that you have never donated any funds to keep a site going. Most people think "someone else will take care of it" or "if it closes, I'll just go to another free site".

I think your perception is a little skewed here, or maybe just jaded because you want to take as much as you possibly can for free. You are looking for a Texan steak and imported beer for your free lunch instead of a sandwich and soup. How are hot linking restrictions giving newcomers a "distorted" view of the Internet? If I free site promotes itself as a free online gallery or photo critique site, how are they cheating you by not allowing hot linking? They are places for you to go and share your pics with the community established at that site. I promote OpenLens as media sharing and hosting, the "hosting" part meaning one can host their images there for hot linking from other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.