Always blur image

Jeronleow

Mar 11, 2008
Bukit Batok
Hi guys. I would like to ask why is it that all my pictures turn out slightly blur even when my shutter speed is fast enough and I am holding very still? When I say blur I meant the edges are "soft". I would say I have rather steady hands but all the picture still turns out slightly blur! Care to share? Thanks!

What you can do is put your camera on a tripod, do mirror lockup and either cable release or 2 sec timer take a shot. Post your picture here and it would be alot easier for fellow members to analyse. It's not easy to give you precise comments based on your vague description.

perhaps you need to step down the aperture...eg. not all lens are sharp at f/2.8 (wide open) even the high end ones.

what you can do is do your own tests or book appointment with CSC.

Last edited:
Jeronleow said:
Hi guys. I would like to ask why is it that all my pictures turn out slightly blur even when my shutter speed is fast enough and I am holding very still? When I say blur I meant the edges are "soft". I would say I have rather steady hands but all the picture still turns out slightly blur! Care to share? Thanks!

An example photo would go a long way! :)

I would think it is quite typical for lenses i.e. the sharpness is best at the centre and tapers off (less sharp) towards the edges. Darkening of the corner/edges (vignetting) also occurs which might be perceived by some to be "blur". Both of these can be different at the various f/stop. Probably you might want to experiment with a smaller f/stop like f/11 to confirm.

post a couple of photos if exif intact, so we able tell what kind of issue more or less.

It may well be a DOF issue.
Perhaps the objects at the corners are away from the plane of focus.

Anyway just making wild guesses here. No photo no talk! ;)

Things will improve dramatically if you zoom to 24mm and stop down to F5.6 (see vignetting chart).

Could also be a that the AF sensors locks on something else instead of what you have in mind. Do you use a single AF point or let the camera select (Auto AF point selection)? Please provide more details, we are running out of tea leaves :)

Can it possibly be front back focusing issues?

Hi guys thanks alot for the replies! I will post some pics when I get home currently at work :bsmilie:

I am using EFs 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 now. When I see sample pics in this forum with the same lens I am astonished by their sharpness so I bet it must be me :embrass:

Hi guys thanks alot for the replies! I will post some pics when I get home currently at work :bsmilie:

I am using EFs 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 now. When I see sample pics in this forum with the same lens I am astonished by their sharpness so I bet it must be me :embrass:

Not the best lens in Canon's stable. See verdict.

"The Canon lens has a couple of weak spots. At 18mm the border resolution is soft and heavy vignetting, extreme barrel distortion and CA problems don't help either. The situation improves significantly at 24mm and 50mm before deteriorating again towards the long end of the range."

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/400-canon_18200_3556is?start=2

Not the best lens in Canon's stable. See verdict.

"The Canon lens has a couple of weak spots. At 18mm the border resolution is soft and heavy vignetting, extreme barrel distortion and CA problems don't help either. The situation improves significantly at 24mm and 50mm before deteriorating again towards the long end of the range."

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/400-canon_18200_3556is?start=2

awaiting TS' photos.
No doubt the superzoom isn't the sharpest lens in the line-up, but it shouldn't be too shabby either. I suspect there are things that can be done to improve sharpness, either prior to image capture, or during post processing. If all fails then can blame equipment :devil:

You shoot in RAW?

at this point of time, we are making wild guess, without see the photos with the exif intact.
and it will not help TS at all.

Sorry I am a noob how do you post a pic with the EXIF? Do you printscreen the picture with the properties or there's a proper way to do?

Anyway for the time being I will post the EXIF manually.

IMG_7862.jpg

F-Stop - f8
Shutterspeed - 1/13
ISO - 500
Focal length - 28mm

IMG_7832.jpg

F-Stop - f8
Shutterspeed - 1/400
ISO - 100
Focal length - 100mm

IMG_8021.jpg

F-Stop - f8
Shutterspeed - 1/40
ISO - 100
Focal length - 120mm

I realised after reading the EXIF that the last pic may be too slow a shutter speed for the focal length. Thank guys and please don't laugh at my pics!! :)

Last edited: