Alternative to Macro Ring.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hi All....

Here is a sketch of a setup used as an alternative to the macro ring flash....

I crudely tried it out and used a sheet of photo paper.....it worked well but need further development....

do try it out and share with me the results!!!!!

macrobounce.JPG

secured by a band on the flash....

The slot of the reflector's bottom section is dependent on your macro lens size...(diameter)

regards,
me

Originally posted by sulhan
Hi All....

Here is a sketch of a setup used as an alternative to the macro ring flash....

I crudely tried it out and used a sheet of photo paper.....it worked well but need further development....

do try it out and share with me the results!!!!!

macrobounce.JPG

secured by a band on the flash....

The slot of the reflector's bottom section is dependent on your macro lens size...(diameter)

regards,
me

Nice idea, I tried a similar setup but find the setup unable to properly illuminate small objects EVENLY when shooting macro. Can show what results you are getting with this?

Wouldn't the lens be in the way esp when the subject is small and just infront of the lens??

Nontheless, a very good ideal.....

:D

Hiee.....

Well...IT all depends on what is you minimum focus distance that you are looking at. As i have mentioned......the design still have LOTSA room for development!!!!!

If the macro lens is 50mm...then the setup need to cater for the shorter lens......etc......

SO do try out at your own time and share your findings..!!!!!

Lets be productive and proactive!!!!

regards,
me

Originally posted by sulhan
SO do try out at your own time and share your findings..!!!!!
Lets be productive and proactive!!!!

Since you said you already tried it, I think it would be better if you show us some of your sample shots. Thank you for sharing. :)

Too much Light is lost to the open. :dunno:

The batteries will be flat in no time. :dunno:

:light:
You can actually build an enclosed rectangular pipe line along the path you've designed for the light to travel, sticking aluminium foil to the internal wall of the pipe line.
As such, the light scattered from the flash will be gathered and reflected along the pipeline until they reach the final reflector beside the lens.

My 2 cts on sulhan's design. The top flap reflecting the light downwards should have a bigger surface area, else too much direct light from the flash would be lost to the surroundings and resulting in insufficient lighting of the subject. Maybe can experiment with different sizes of the flap?

Interesting idea though. CS certainly needs more ideas like this one. Thumbs up to sulhan for his creativity and effort. C'mon guys (and gals), lets have more creative ideas come forth!

:gbounce:

Hiee...

Here are some rough shots taken with the setup.....nothing "bizzare"....just an experimental
findings that can be improved further.....

macroexample.jpg

regards,
me

Hi Sulhan,
It's not only for my sake but for the rest of us here viewing your thread. Now, atleast we have a rough idea on what to expect from your experiment. But ofcourse everything has a room for improvement. Atleast from your sample pic we can compare the effect or whatsoever. It's a good test! (so, next time dont hesitate.)

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.