Alternative to "healing brush"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

centurion_sg

May 6, 2006
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I just recently added a new D70s body to my hobby and discovered the joys of having dust specks appearing on nice scenic photos taken recently :(

Was wondering are there alternatives to buying commercial softwares like Photoshop to quickly remove those big elephants?

I looked at the Nikon dust removal thing but seems its meant to work with only raw files and their Capture software which is not free :cry:

Hope someone can share some quick way to fix the jpgs. TIA.

clean the sensor often. :)

There is no quick and good way to do it without degrading image quality. Doing it manually is slow but it minimises the degradation done since touch ups are isolated.

Acutally there is... that's to clean your sensor. I use sensor swabs which are pretty good and its much cheaper than sending it down.

solarii said:
There is no quick and good way to do it without degrading image quality. Doing it manually is slow but it minimises the degradation done since touch ups are isolated.

Acutally there is... that's to clean your sensor. I use sensor swabs which are pretty good and its much cheaper than sending it down.

Thanks for the responses so far.
I'm aware of the cleaning part but it's too late after the picture was taken half a world away. It's hard to see from the preview whether there's dust until it shows up on the big monitor. Guess I'll have to do some painstaking manual touch up bit by bit, picture by picture.

i think i remember seeing a batch fix for your problem. Since the dust specks are contant at a position, you can take a picture of it (point at bright light close aperture and snap) then use this picture and set it as a mask or blending layer to lessen the effect. There's quite a number of steps to it.

It is a method similar to dark frame substraction just that this is more complex.

I forgot the actual procedure as I never used it. You might want to search the net for the fix and post it here ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.