Alternative to compacts

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
Hi folks, it's been some time since I catch up with the product line of cameras. Recently my pana compact went up lorry so looking at buying a compact. I currently have a EPL-1 with kit but is looking at something more compact. Just want to get your expert opinion(s) on compact cameras. I did a brief search and read up for the past 2 days and this is the list I came up with.

1) Samsung EX2F
2) Pana LX7
3) Olympus XZ-1
4) Nikon J1
5) Samsung NX1000

I find that all the above is smaller than my EPL-1 but any bigger might as well use my EPL-1. However, please feel free to add your comments :) if there are other brands/models that is not in the list (leave out brands and budget for now).

Hi folks, it's been some time since I catch up with the product line of cameras. Recently my pana compact went up lorry so looking at buying a compact. I currently have a EPL-1 with kit but is looking at something more compact. Just want to get your expert opinion(s) on compact cameras. I did a brief search and read up for the past 2 days and this is the list I came up with.

1) Samsung EX2F
2) Pana LX7
3) Olympus XZ-1
4) Nikon J1
5) Samsung NX1000

I find that all the above is smaller than my EPL-1 but any bigger might as well use my EPL-1. However, please feel free to add your comments :) if there are other brands/models that is not in the list (leave out brands and budget for now).

You can pretty much throw all the mirrorless choices out the window since they are not that much smaller than the EPL-1.

I would think a LX-7 or XZ-2 would make more sense.

Sony rx100. Top compact camera at the moment

You can pretty much throw all the mirrorless choices out the window since they are not that much smaller than the EPL-1.

I would think a LX-7 or XZ-2 would make more sense.

Thanks for the post. Take for example EX2F is 112 x 62 x 29 mm (1/1.7") and the J1 is 106 x 61 x 30 mm (1"), I'll say that J1 is pretty similiar to EX2F. Of course EX2F is not that compact but it's slightly smaller than the EPL-1 but yes I do agree the difference is not much like what you mentioned.

Any good offerings from Canon? My main system is Canon and I find it difficult to find something small and good from them :( (other than S95 which is also 1/1.7").

Thanks for the post. Take for example EX2F is 112 x 62 x 29 mm (1/1.7") and the J1 is 106 x 61 x 30 mm (1"), I'll say that J1 is pretty similiar to EX2F. Of course EX2F is not that compact but it's slightly smaller than the EPL-1 but yes I do agree the difference is not much like what you mentioned.

Any good offerings from Canon? My main system is Canon and I find it difficult to find something small and good from them :( (other than S95 which is also 1/1.7").

There's a big difference between 1/1.7" and 1". It's not pretty similar. From Canon you have s110 and g1x.

Wait for the rumoured Nex 9 full frame.

Unless u r willing to pay a premium, there isn't really much choices if u want something even smaller than your already small EPL-1 and yet offers features that you can't already do with smartphones nowadays.

I would suggest selling ur EPL-1 altogether, and upgrade to a newer m4/3 camera (I'm not sure, but I'm guessing newer models in the series should be smaller and lighter) or consider other mirrorless.

Compacts worth getting (if u really want to) would be Sony RX100, Fuji xf-1, canon s series.

Physical size wise, you cannot just judge based on the camera body dimensions. Because the things that make it compact or not, are the lenses. On mirrorless cameras, the lenses are a lot bigger than a compact when turned off.

Physical size wise, you cannot just judge based on the camera body dimensions. Because the things that make it compact or not, are the lenses. On mirrorless cameras, the lenses are a lot bigger than a compact when turned off.

Fair enough, that's why I'll only consider mirrorless with pancake lens as something as a replacement to compacts. So far RX100 is good but a little expensive, the XZ-1 is I think a good alternative because I feel that XZ-2 is a little pricey.

The rest like S110, LX7, EX2F is slightly smaller but the sensor is also smaller plus more expensive. Other than RX100, what might be a good alternative to XZ-1?

Fair enough, that's why I'll only consider mirrorless with pancake lens as something as a replacement to compacts. So far RX100 is good but a little expensive, the XZ-1 is I think a good alternative because I feel that XZ-2 is a little pricey.

The rest like S110, LX7, EX2F is slightly smaller but the sensor is also smaller plus more expensive. Other than RX100, what might be a good alternative to XZ-1?

Since you had thrown out xz2 which is newer, then you should consider s100,lx5,ex1. Another option is add a pancake zoom Panasonic 14_42 lens to epl1? But it's a Kit lens specs.

Since you had thrown out xz2 which is newer, then you should consider s100,lx5,ex1. Another option is add a pancake zoom Panasonic 14_42 lens to epl1? But it's a Kit lens specs.

Yeah, EPL-1 with pancake is still a little oversized for "compact" but pretty close :D. EPL-3 with pancake feels more like a compact. Given J1's new low price with pancake (10mm), I think that's about the only cam (1" sensor) that can beat the XZ-1.

Yeah, EPL-1 with pancake is still a little oversized for "compact" but pretty close :D. EPL-3 with pancake feels more like a compact. Given J1's new low price with pancake (10mm), I think that's about the only cam (1" sensor) that can beat the XZ-1.

actually, with the recent promotions, the nikon V1 is actually around the same price as the J1, with a free external flash to boot. So with all things considered, the V1 is cheaper than the J1.

actually, with the recent promotions, the nikon V1 is actually around the same price as the J1, with a free external flash to boot. So with all things considered, the V1 is cheaper than the J1.

Hmm...V1 is certainly better but the J1 package with 10mm pancake is slightly below SGD$400. How much is V1 package now?

I feel the price of RX100, u may as well get another SLR..... no point...

Hmm...V1 is certainly better but the J1 package with 10mm pancake is slightly below SGD$400. How much is V1 package now?

Hi Bro, could you PM me the location to get the J1 with 10mm below SGD400? Thanks in advance!