Alternative to Canon Wide Angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weekh

Sep 6, 2004
Any suggestion for a super wide angles to use on Canon body?

Super wide at about 15mm
Pin sharp
Affordable
Small and lightweight??

Canon 16-35mm MK II
82mm filter, big and bulky. >$2000

Sigma 12-24mm / 15-30mm
Big and bulky and there are many sample variations in image quality. Cheap.

14mm Canon, Tamron, Sigma f2.8
Bulky, front lens element very big, no filter protecton and subjected the scratches. >$1000

Any other alternative beside those listed above?

Consider the Tokina 12-24. This ultrawide lens is designed for APS-C sensors, but it may be usable once you're slightly zoomed in.

Any suggestion for a super wide angles to use on Canon body?

Super wide at about 15mm

Pin sharp

Affordable

Small and lightweight??

These four criterias do not exist in a single lens..

Anything pin sharp is not affordable nor small and lightweight...

Try Leica lenses for small, lightweight and pin sharp but they are hardly affordable :)

Have u guys heard of the Voigtlander SL 15mm?

NO big protruding front lens element like the 14mm fixed lens.

Small and almost weightless. The lens is just about 2cm thick!!!!

Very very sharp!

<$750.

133.jpg

134.jpg

135.jpg

136.jpg

But there's some con:

U need to use a Nikon to EOS mount adapter.

NO TTL.
U can't look through the viewfinder to compose (a separate finder is provided though).
Focus is guesstimation.
F stop starts from f4.5
U need to have mirror lockup.

But there's some con:

U need to use a Nikon to EOS mount adapter.

NO TTL.
U can't look through the viewfinder to compose (a separate finder is provided though).
Focus is guesstimation.
F stop starts from f4.5
U need to have mirror lockup.
what is guesstimation? can i take it as guessing the focus distance?
if you can't focus properly, low chance it turns out very very sharp

Range focus, that's how rangefinder works.
Tested the lens at infinity and it is very sharp.
Will post more shots later.

Of course, this lens will not appeal to the masses. But for those crazy people like me, this is a very attractive alternative.

Sigma 15-30 DX DG DD WHATEVER. It's the noisy Sigma USM equivalent if you knbow what I mean.

Fairly affordable (I would say 'cheap' in the 2nd hand market). i believe it goes for around SGD600 for one in excellent condition (updated or current chipping).

NOT lightweight or super small.

RAZOR sharp - I've had it and compared it with the 17-40L. For a money lens, I will take the 15-30 anyday.

Very ROBUST (oh hell, who cares about what the lens looks like on the OUTSIDE - it's the pictures that count right? Right?)

Yahoo or Google a search on 'Sigma 15-30' and you might be pleasantly surprised, especially if you find the wildlife and nature photographer user review about the one that went tumbling down a slope, got smashed and still worked fine.

I've had mine for some years now, and the only issue I had was that it required re-chipping. Yeah, the paint's peeling but the picture's still as great as the day I got it.

Looks nice and sharp.. but not quite a practical lens. Definitely not one you'd take on a wedding shoot ;p

For those who shoot scenics, or shots that alllow u to take your time, why not?
137.jpg

v15setup1.jpg

v15setup2.jpg

v15setup3.jpg

As the lens has to be inserted very close to the sensor, u'll need to mirror lockup when inserting the lens and for each picutre taken. As the mirror will slap onto the lens, u can tap something on the lens to cushion it. Here's I'm using a plaster but a better choice will be something thicker, such as a form tape.

As u can see, once the lens is inserted, it is almost invisible. And there's no huge and protruding front lens element and built in hood.

And for those kiasee, the mirror is actually very strong. Many people have even go to the extend to shave the mirror in order to use some exotic lens. Just tape some thick and soft cushion and there will be no ill effect.

auggh....... another advertisement......
but wee, really thanks for the explanation and no thanks for another poison..... ;)

thanks for another intro and hope to see more alternatives good lenses discussion for Canon
:thumbsup:

auggh....... another advertisement......
but wee, really thanks for the explanation and no thanks for another poison..... ;)

thanks for another intro and hope to see more alternatives good lenses discussion for Canon
:thumbsup:

I'm not selling this lens or making any gain from it.
BTW, this lens is out of production. And the market is extremely niched and small. Makes no sense for me to 'advertise'.

Wee, anymore high res samples? Damn tempting man. From the pics, the Voigtlander looks much better than the 17-40L in terms of sharpness and contrast. The corners look good too and the vignetting... oh my. Hehe.

So where's the separate viewfinder and how does it work? Seriously the results are lovely.

Wee, anymore high res samples? Damn tempting man. From the pics, the Voigtlander looks much better than the 17-40L in terms of sharpness and contrast. The corners look good too and the vignetting... oh my. Hehe.

ONly got the lens yesterday evening.
Now only in testing phase. Give me some time to capture some good shots lah...

But vignetting isn't a big problem. Easily solved in a few seconds using Lightroom or Photoshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.