Alternative to buying a dedicated macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonnewbie

Jul 19, 2007
Hi guys,

Im a new d80 owner and very impressed by some of the macro shots that have been posted on here. i've thought about buying a macro lens but i'm also considering the following setup:

Camera + Normal lens + Coupling Ring + Reversed prime lens

How does the quality of this setup compare with a dedicated macro?
And silly question - what does "reversed prime lens" mean?

cheers!

Hi guys,

Im a new d80 owner and very impressed by some of the macro shots that have been posted on here. i've thought about buying a macro lens but i'm also considering the following setup:

Camera + Normal lens + Coupling Ring + Reversed prime lens

How does the quality of this setup compare with a dedicated macro?
And silly question - what does "reversed prime lens" mean?

cheers!

Here's an example of how it's done :

reverselens.jpg

Here's where it's from :

Coinimaging.com

i dont understand....

What you need is a male to male coupler. This has threads on both ends which will be able to be fitted onto the filter threads of the lenses.

You will fit the longer lens on the camera, then the coupler and the short lens which has to be set to maximum aperture is then screwed onto the coupler.

coupling-ring.jpg

I believe someone is selling this on a MO thread.

Here's a picture of how it may look, the picture depicts a prosumer camera.

5700-F1-4-reverse-s.jpg

hope these helps,

so, i have the 18-135 kit, and 50mm f1.8

if i get the male2male coupler, i can screw the kit onto camera first, then coupler, then the 50mm but "reversed"
rite?

so now all i need is the coupler..

cool.
how much u bought the 50mm f1.8?

so, i have the 18-135 kit, and 50mm f1.8

if i get the male2male coupler, i can screw the kit onto camera first, then coupler, then the 50mm but "reversed"
rite?

so now all i need is the coupler..

What you need is a Nikon BR2A and/or BR3 for your 50mm. With your 50mm reversed, the rear element would be very near your sunject already. :)

any pictures of the coupler?

any pictures of pics taken by 50mm reverse?

Or try what I did. Get a cheaper manual lens (got one for $28) instead of risking a more expensive 50mm. As for quality... you can check out some old threads I posted in the macros sub-forum.

Or try what I did. Get a cheaper manual lens (got one for $28) instead of risking a more expensive 50mm. As for quality... you can check out some old threads I posted in the macros sub-forum.

Yeah this makes sense, if you only wanna your lenses for macros. The reverse ring fits your cam like how your normal lens would, the other side of the ring would be threaded to fit your lens in the reverse manner. You would screw it in like as if you were fitting a filter in front of the lens. Had a buddy who worked with a 50mm F/1.8 with a reverse ring. Works well, only prob is that you focus on the subject by moving your camera nearer/further.

think this is most appealing to me. cheap to try and start off with.
i suppose get a wider lens for bigger magnification?

What about macro convertor?
The setup will be body + macro convertor + lens.
But I still reading up on macro convertor. Anyone can help?

What about macro convertor?
The setup will be body + macro convertor + lens.
But I still reading up on macro convertor. Anyone can help?

Macro converter often refers to those add-on filters which is meant for the prosumer cameras. For the DSLRs, you have a choice of :

extension tubes
close-up filters
dedicated macro lenses
reverse lens mount (direct to body by means of adapter)
reverse lens mount (reverse onto an existing lens by a male to male coupler)

Macro converter often refers to those add-on filters which is meant for the prosumer cameras. For the DSLRs, you have a choice of :

extension tubes
close-up filters
dedicated macro lenses
reverse lens mount (direct to body by means of adapter)
reverse lens mount (reverse onto an existing lens by a male to male coupler)

Stevewhy is using a macro convertor, and achieve very good close-up.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2807819&postcount=1
Is this better?

using extension tubes you have to get pretty much very close to the object :p and you cant focus at infinity etc.

an alternative to getting a dedicated macro lense.. is to get a microscope..i suppose thats pretty much the best magnification you can get :bsmilie:

Stevewhy is using a macro convertor, and achieve very good close-up.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=2807819&postcount=1
Is this better?

Well, I can't say whether it's better than some methods or not... But to each their own. With all such adapters, you're liable to be focusing by moving the whole setup back and forth to get the correct focus.

I would also suggest that you look up on the amount of magnification required and consider your choices to achieve that. ;)

Well, I can't say whether it's better than some methods or not... But to each their own. With all such adapters, you're liable to be focusing by moving the whole setup back and forth to get the correct focus.

I would also suggest that you look up on the amount of magnification required and consider your choices to achieve that. ;)

Like this lion on the crest of a 20c coin? ;p
Check the EXIF of the image.
20cLion.jpg

This is shot with a 2mp Coolpix 2100 through a 40x microscope.

Like this lion on the crest of a 20c coin? ;p
Check the EXIF of the image.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: lolx. Reminds me of some test shots of a 10c coin that i took for a fellow CSer who eventually bought the Raynox MSN-202 from me. The Raynox MSN-202 close-up filter achieves good magnification but really really hard to focus, gotta get close to around 28-29mm before you could get a good image. Getting the subject visible within your viewfinder was also challenging, especially when its super small. The close-up filter works better on a PNS camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.