Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Tips for All - Sharpening image in Photoshop
Hi All you people out there!!!!

Well here is one of the tips for all that i think is useful.

Tips: Sharpening image in Photoshop..... .useful when the image is a "daytime" shot..- alternative to USM(UN-sharp Mask)...which may introduce too much grains...

Ready??? Go!!!

Procedure....

0- Go to the top menu and choose:
[windows]->view layers .....make sure you do this first to enable viewing of layers - a floating small window with the "layer" tag on the top left corner

1- Open an image in photoshop - you should be able to see the image also appearing in the floating layers window.

2- Make a duplicate layer of this image by choosing :
[layer]->duplicate layer....-> then okay the form as default (or give it a new name ...up to you)

3- Then choose [Filters]->Others->High Pass
and select a value about 3 to 4 not more than that unless preferred. - This will give a ghostly version of the image with only the outline of the subject more prominant

4- Then on the layer floating window on the drop down menu which is default [normal].......click on the small downward arrow head and then selec "OVERLAY"

5- And Ai Ka Ram Bah!!!....you have a sharpened image.......

This method is a better choice to Unsharp mask as it gives les noise overall........go ahead and try it and experiment......

Toggle the effect by clicking on the "eye" on the layer to see the difference....

Have Fun...

Regards,
Sulhan

Hi,
Tried your method and it looks good, but can you advise what would be the average range for opacity to be set? 100% would bring out significant grain, while 0% would have no impact at all on the layered photo. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Michael

Hi there......i personally feel that you should tweak according to taste as the overlay opacity results depend on your original hi pass levels too....

regards,
Sulhan

This is Cool. Thanks for the tips ;)

Creating a new action
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you create a new action, the commands and tools you use are added to the action until you stop recording.

To create a new action:

Open a file.
In the Actions palette, click the New Action button , or choose New Action from the palette menu.
Enter a name for the action.
(Photoshop) Choose a set from the pop-up menu.
If desired, set one or both of the following options:
Assign a keyboard shortcut to the action. You can choose any combination of a Function key, the Ctrl key (Windows) or Command key (Mac OS), and the Shift key (for example, Ctrl+Shift+F3).
(Photoshop) Assign a color for display in Button Mode.
Click Record. The Record button in the Actions palette turns red .
Important: When recording the Save As command, do not change the filename. If you enter a new filename, Photoshop records the filename and uses that filename each time you run the action. Before saving, if you navigate to a different folder, you can specify a different location without having to specify a filename.

Choose the commands, and perform the operations you want to record.
To stop recording, click the Stop button, choose Stop Recording from the Actions palette menu, or press the Escape key. To resume recording in the same action, choose Start Recording from the Actions palette menu.

From the Adobe PhotoShop Help HTML.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my feedback..

I've used High Pass for a while before I found "Smart Sharpening"...

High Pass while overall effective does sharpen the noise as well.. this is less than USM but I found "Smart Sharpening" somewhere which leaves the noise alone .. (if someone knows where it is, please help link it).

Smart Sharpening uses a Find Edges to create a mask which can be manually tweaked and then USM is applied over the mask..

(Hmm.. something just struck me... what if High Pass is applied over the find edges mask, then we have the best of both worlds?? Lemme try and revert)

Some link...

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/tutorials/Smart_Sharpening/

http://www.powerretouche.com/SharpnessUserguide.htm

http://threedee1.tripod.com/sharpnsmart/sharpnsmart.html

http://www.fredmiranda.com/Action_profilesPage/

I used Power Retouch. Is Cool ;)

I use this one since I'm cheap and it is free, think it is the same principle as the others and it is much better than plan unsharp mask.
smart sharp

Wow This method is really much better over USM.

:thumbsup: Very useful to me. Thanks for sharing.

just curious, what does this difference from the normal sharpen function? your method is good anyway :) thanks

sulhan said:
Tips for All - Sharpening image in Photoshop
Hi All you people out there!!!!

Well here is one of the tips for all that i think is useful.

Tips: Sharpening image in Photoshop..... .useful when the image is a "daytime" shot..- alternative to USM(UN-sharp Mask)...which may introduce too much grains...

Ready??? Go!!!

Procedure....

0- Go to the top menu and choose:
[windows]->view layers .....make sure you do this first to enable viewing of layers - a floating small window with the "layer" tag on the top left corner

1- Open an image in photoshop - you should be able to see the image also appearing in the floating layers window.

2- Make a duplicate layer of this image by choosing :
[layer]->duplicate layer....-> then okay the form as default (or give it a new name ...up to you)

3- Then choose [Filters]->Others->High Pass
and select a value about 3 to 4 not more than that unless preferred. - This will give a ghostly version of the image with only the outline of the subject more prominant

4- Then on the layer floating window on the drop down menu which is default [normal].......click on the small downward arrow head and then selec "OVERLAY"

5- And Ai Ka Ram Bah!!!....you have a sharpened image.......

This method is a better choice to Unsharp mask as it gives les noise overall........go ahead and try it and experiment......

Toggle the effect by clicking on the "eye" on the layer to see the difference....

Have Fun...

Regards,
Sulhan

Thanks Sulhan :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.