Alternate hood for 17-40? EW-83DII

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelancer

Apr 30, 2004
Anyone using this hood rather than the big one that came with the lens? Any shops in Singapore or KL that is selling the hood?

Amfibius said:

Thanks Amfibius for the link

After reading it, I still don't see his main point. I guess it's all about wanting to fit the 17-40 with the hood reversed in some bag suited to him??

The hood for the 24mm L lens is longer and not any smaller than the original one for the 17-40mm. Moreover, where is one going to get the hood for the 24mm L without owning the lens itself? Order and buy one separately??? $$$? Don't think this is a practical solution...

Just use the original hood!

David said:
Thanks Amfibius for the link

After reading it, I still don't see his main point. I guess it's all about wanting to fit the 17-40 with the hood reversed in some bag suited to him??

The hood for the 24mm L lens is longer and not any smaller than the original one for the 17-40mm. Moreover, where is one going to get the hood for the 24mm L without owning the lens itself? Order and buy one separately??? $$$? Don't think this is a practical solution...

Just use the original hood!
or don't use the hood at all! :gbounce:

David, the original hood is very wide to accomodate full frame cameras. Because of that it is not very effective at stopping stray light from hitting the front element. If you have a 1.6x crop DSLR the hood is un-necessarily wide and you could get away with using a narrower (and more effective) hood.

You can get the EW-83DII hood from Canon as a special order, or you could get it from B&H. I haven't ordered mine yet.

nickmak, don't use a hood at all? Lenses should ALWAYS have a hood installed, unless you like the look of flare :p

David said:

Yeah.. I am ordering the hood from Canon. The original hood is one big fat monster
:(

Amfibius said:
David, the original hood is very wide to accomodate full frame cameras. Because of that it is not very effective at stopping stray light from hitting the front element. If you have a 1.6x crop DSLR the hood is un-necessarily wide and you could get away with using a narrower (and more effective) hood.

You can get the EW-83DII hood from Canon as a special order, or you could get it from B&H. I haven't ordered mine yet.

nickmak, don't use a hood at all? Lenses should ALWAYS have a hood installed, unless you like the look of flare :p

Thanks Amfibius for sharing... oic... Hmm I didn't really know about this. Yah, I'd be interested to know the price of the hood too.

In response to Nickmak's remarks of not using a hood... I'd say it's wise to use it for wide angle lenses. For others, like 50mm onwards, I find using the hood or not often doesnt make much difference. Unless perhaps you shoot almost directly into the light? In which case, I usually don't get many good shots anyway even with the hood on!

Garion said:
How about doing a MO? Any one interested? Whats the price of the hood? :think:

Not sure what Canon Singapore would price this hood but I am getting mine on back order with Canon Malaysia through my regular photo store. No savings doing an MO from B&H for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.