Alt career for semicon ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcLeod

Jul 23, 2005
Singapore, West
Dun wanna piggy back other's thread, but saw several of us are in semicon industry. Seems many of us feel the industry going downhill (relative to the economy).

Wonder what alternative careers the other people in semi-con see fit for them.

Dun wanna piggy back other's thread, but saw several of us are in semicon industry. Seems many of us feel the industry going downhill (relative to the economy).

quite hard... if you are a semi-con engineer, probably you get stuck there for good... those who left probably went into real estate, financial planning, and in deeper holes than you are in right now.

right now... whatever line you go also die... i anticipate everyone will go for food and all die together like the bubble tea economy 10 years ago...

now most industries are holding back on production and release on new products. probably those who will sustain as per usual are those in necessities trading and manufacturing...

If you have the proper qualifications, you can go to do teaching semicon related courses at ITE/Poly or University.
Alternatively, you can move into R&D which may be a bit related to semiconductor or a total new field using your knowledge of DOE, etc.
I spent a good eight years (process and equipment) in a foundry and a DRAM fab, but move on to do R&D on adhesive materials in a MNC...has been in it for the last 7 years...
I guess it is still your call when considering alternative careers as it impacts your salary, lifestyle, etc
A ex colleague of mine who was retrenched during the first retrenchment of the local foundry ventured into childcare centre and has not looked back to semicon although he spent 12 years of his youth there...

No worry as the ship will steer its course when the time comes...

If you have the proper qualifications, you can go to do teaching semicon related courses at ITE/Poly or University.
Alternatively, you can move into R&D which may be a bit related to semiconductor or a total new field using your knowledge of DOE, etc.
I spent a good eight years (process and equipment) in a foundry and a DRAM fab, but move on to do R&D on adhesive materials in a MNC...has been in it for the last 7 years...
I guess it is still your call when considering alternative careers as it impacts your salary, lifestyle, etc
A ex colleague of mine who was retrenched during the first retrenchment of the local foundry ventured into childcare centre and has not looked back to semicon although he spent 12 years of his youth there...

No worry as the ship will steer its course when the time comes...

Thanks for your positive inputs and views.

What's the minimum qualification to teach in ITE/Poly?

I'm has been in R&D all along for the last 15years in semicon playing different roles. R&D is affected this time. In the past years mainly production was affected by economy downturn, but this time R&D also affected since companies need to cut funding to R&D as well as streamline production.

A few years ago I was hoping my experience with project management would be portable but later I realised semicon projects are relatively simple compared with system integration. Can't even hold a candle to those who runs project for building a bridge!

haiz, Chartered going to cut ppl again...

from last night news, Chartered is going to axe abt 540 head counts plus 200 plus few months ago..
SEMICONDUCTOR line is history now, also got rumors saying that the Taiwanese firm want to buy over Chartered leh...
i got some friends working there too, all of them are very worried especially those with family and kids,just hope that these 500 ++ are not my friends....

I think the best bet is R&D in government funded institutes, if u have a phd.

Last edited:

My friend got axed by Micron some four months back. Recently signed up with SPF. Just went for some test which is similar to the test we took before serving NS.

For Poly, I last heard the minimum criteria is either good honours or Masters, and must have at least 3 years of relevant industry experience.

I think the best bet is R&D in government funded institutes, if u have a phd.

they r mostly hired on a contract basis. it get worse, if the subject has a PHD. it's because they will need to publish a certain numbers of paper annually, with breakthrough... failing to do so, subject will be shown the 'exit' soon...

going to ord soon...time to find another job.
semi-con industry is dead liao...

Last edited:
it really is bad out there and semicon sector is the hardest hit. i have interviewed quite a few fallouts from this sector and some just cant seem to face reality, insisting on a good pay package still.

Take alternative routes of your interest and transform them into a business. i know it sounds like air talk, but there has to be a way around. holding two or three small jobs will be the outlook of the near future.

i really hope we can all weather through the tough time and hope it wont be for too long.

How likely a PhD candidate can get a reasonable amount of $ (say 3k$ / month) from grant/scholarship? suppose can earn by working as tutor.

Degree & industry experience... If no industry experience, need masters. But what i heard is that even jobs in the teaching industry is very hot.... Erm typically the number of applicants for a single opening can run into like in excess of 50 or even into the hundreds....

i have interviewed quite a few fallouts from this sector and some just cant seem to face reality, insisting on a good pay package still.

Well, what i can say is tht some singaporeans are slow to face reality.... U go look at property market, so many sellers still demanding sky-high unrealistic prices....

Anyway, what u work as? why need to interview these "fallouts"??

Anyway, what u work as? why need to interview these "fallouts"??

posted some job vacancies in the ad. i interviewed people from all walks.

Long ago, in one of the jobs i had, a position was so hot i received 1000 resumes. no joke, i sieved out a couple hundred and conducted a hundred and fifty interviews for 10 positions for one dept. People respond to big firms and nice sounding titles.

posted some job vacancies in the ad. i interviewed people from all walks.

Long ago, in one of the jobs i had, a position was so hot i received 1000 resumes. no joke, i sieved out a couple hundred and conducted a hundred and fifty interviews for 10 positions for one dept. People respond to big firms and nice sounding titles.

you in agency or HR of big firm?

Status
Not open for further replies.