Alpha mount lens for wedding shooting

panda88

Jan 5, 2010
Hi all,

I am planning to get some lens these days. Currently having a budget A230. What lens do you have for recommendation? Mostly indoor shooting and a bit of outdoor during the wedding. I am not the main photographer by the way, just help out only. Thanks.

Depending on how far you are shooting and what is your budget.

You can consider using the Tamron 17-50mm, 50mm f1.4/1.8, 70-210mm f4. A flash would be good too.

for tamron, better to consider 17-50 or 28-75? Please bear with me, i am newbie haha

for tamron, better to consider 17-50 or 28-75? Please bear with me, i am newbie haha

17-50. You're on a crop sensor body, the 28-75 will not be wide enough.

just use yr 18-55mm kit lens is good enough. most impt, get a flash for indoor

if u wan a prime lens, get 35mm f18 if u got budget. its better than 50mm f18 for indoor

ok guys thanks for sharing.

These are my targetted list of equipment:

1. Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8
2. Sony 50mm/f1.8
3. Flash HVL42 something.

Just curious, do you guys use flash since above lenses are quite "fast". Give me some comment on this lineup. Anything else missing which is important for the shooting?..thanks

i'm still a noob in photography.

If you are going to shoot the wedding dinner, it's likely to be in a ballroom where dim lights are used, right? Then a flash is v impt, even though u are using a 'fast' lens.

if you are not shooting the dinner part, and you are just shooting the day time events (parents house, in-laws house, outdoors, etc), then no need flash, if u got 'fast' lens. (it depends on what kind of standard you want from your pic quality).

the flash will definitely be crucial, because it gives you the ability to use fast shutter without compromising on exposure (less dependence on ambient light), and more imptly using low ISO. im a a230 user as well, and i know its not very good at high ISO being a introductory level DSLR. the kit lens will do you justice in most situations in fact, its the flash that will set your pictures alive :bsmilie:

1. Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8
2. Sony 50mm/f1.8

Just curious, do you guys use flash since above lenses are quite "fast". Give me some comment on this lineup. Anything else missing which is important for the shooting?..thanks

Again, it depends on how far you are and what you want in your pictures. The 28-75mm will give you better reach if you are not standing very close to the couple. But if you want to do a group photo a 17-50mm will give you the wideness you need.

Flash would be good to have since we are not there to look at the situation and the lighting condition. I used my flash quite extensively for wedding shoots.

To be honest, If budget is limited, I would rather that you buy the prime lenses... such as 30mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and perhaps something a little longer 85mm f2.8. The IQ and focussing accuracy might be better with 17-50 zoom lens.

That will give you a better chance of getting the shots...

Anyway... I am always against wide angle even on APS-C as most people will end up using a lot of 17mm end as they want "wide" and everyone end up looking distorted.

If you shoot your images right, there isn't really need for a flash... it is always good to have one but not something you can't do without.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Hart

1. Tamron 17-50mm/f2.8
2. Sony 50mm/f1.8

... i will suggest u change yr flash to 58, use 85 f2.8 for "moments shots" and Tamron 17-50 from normal table shots.

So 42 or 58 better? must current zoom range up to 55mm so 42 gd enuf?

So 42 or 58 better? must current zoom range up to 55mm so 42 gd enuf?

Huh? The GN of the flash is not equivalent to your lens focal length. Don't mix up the 2.

To be honest, If budget is limited, I would rather that you buy the prime lenses... such as 30mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8 and perhaps something a little longer 85mm f2.8. The IQ and focussing accuracy might be better with 17-50 zoom lens.

That will give you a better chance of getting the shots...

Anyway... I am always against wide angle even on APS-C as most people will end up using a lot of 17mm end as they want "wide" and everyone end up looking distorted.

If you shoot your images right, there isn't really need for a flash... it is always good to have one but not something you can't do without.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Hart

I concur with this.

Since TS is not main PG, there is no pressure to get all the shots in. And I am assuming this is his first time shooting wedding? Then go for as simple as possible, and just use ONE lens. 30/1.8 is just about perfect.

Flash would be optional.

My sharing.
I shots wedding.
my gear for wedding :a230 + BG + tamron 1750ƒ2.8 + HVL58
a330 + BG + sony 50ƒ1.8 + HVL58

Thanks!