Along the railway track...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingzyangz

May 8, 2008
I was trekking from a drain from opposite Ngee Ann Poly towards Bukit Timah Hill. Midway through, I saw this railway track that is leading towards the private estate with a lot of abandoned wooden planks by the side. The sight captivated me and although armed with a telezoom lens, I took the picture. It just feels very different from the usual scenes we see in Singapore.

How is the composition of the photo and how is the PP treatment done for the pic? What is appealing and what is not?

Appreciate your comments and critique. :)

3008297008_fd329dd6bc_o.jpg

your picture seems a little out of focus to me. i do like the way you used B&W for this shot

good effort:)

thanks pplneedthelord. I actually added a bit of gaussian blur to give it a dreamy look.

your picture seems a little out of focus to me. i do like the way you used B&W for this shot

good effort:)

hmm in addition, you might wanna make let the railway tracks towards the center a little. i feel its too close to the corners.

Why would this scene be anything like a "dreamy look"?
How does this add to the story / photo?

possible.. thanks for the suggestion. ;)
hmm in addition, you might wanna make let the railway tracks towards the center a little. i feel its too close to the corners.

It gives me a feeling of heading home but elusive. Decided to give it a dreamy look.
Why would this scene be anything like a "dreamy look"?
How does this add to the story / photo?

thanks pplneedthelord. I actually added a bit of gaussian blur to give it a dreamy look.

surreal stuff, i like the idea, could form part of a series

but anyways, i must say i'm not quite sure about the conversion here, i see a railway light but it doesn't stand out against the background - with a proper conversion it might.

other than that it is quite appealing - instead of just plain gaussian blur, look up orton, and try to ortonise this one. :)

thanks cheguthamrin. :) that is indeed a very dreamy and surreal pic.
Perhaps, for reference and comparison of a dreamy look / feel, you may need to click here; by lastboltnut
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393104&highlight=jurong+hill

thanks for the suggestion bro. ;)
surreal stuff, i like the idea, could form part of a series

but anyways, i must say i'm not quite sure about the conversion here, i see a railway light but it doesn't stand out against the background - with a proper conversion it might.

other than that it is quite appealing - instead of just plain gaussian blur, look up orton, and try to ortonise this one. :)

interesting... thanks for the Orton recommendation night86mare. :D

Orton Effect

Last edited:
Like the surreal feel... also like the way the trackes seem to pop up compared to the surroundings. the orton one looks good:)

thanks for the comments EOS Revolution. :)

glad you like it.

Like the surreal feel... also like the way the trackes seem to pop up compared to the surroundings. the orton one looks good:)

Really like the way you have several tones within the same frame.

Yes, it does look out of focus, as pointed out by some others. And although your justification of gaussian blur does explain it partly, it still indicate that the blurring is either inadequate or too much. In this case, I would feel that it is inadequate.

Also, if you are really interested in a dreamscape, don't just focus on the bluriness. Imagine that if you are in a dreamy world, would the tone still appear the same as it is in the picture?

One suggestion would be, try to blur a little bit more, and give the top right corner a bit more light, and less contrast.

Hope these comments help.

Thanks The_Cheat.

You suggestions are really great! :)

Really like the way you have several tones within the same frame.

Yes, it does look out of focus, as pointed out by some others. And although your justification of gaussian blur does explain it partly, it still indicate that the blurring is either inadequate or too much. In this case, I would feel that it is inadequate.

Also, if you are really interested in a dreamscape, don't just focus on the bluriness. Imagine that if you are in a dreamy world, would the tone still appear the same as it is in the picture?

One suggestion would be, try to blur a little bit more, and give the top right corner a bit more light, and less contrast.

Hope these comments help.

Status
Not open for further replies.