Alone Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
Shot this on a windy and grey morning while enjoying a walk alone. Was taking shelter at the location from a passing drizzle.

I hope to convey a sense of isolation in urban environments and hope that the use of bold lines and processing (used urban acid) can achieve this.

I hope to get some critique on the composition and processing if it works for you.

12mm (24mm in 135 format), f8, 1/50 sec, iso400 -3/10 EV. Wide angle for a dramatic perspective. Used ISO400 to have a grainier image. Minimal NR applied. Had a Grad ND filter with me but decided not to use it as i thought it may not work well with this composition (bright middle section).
2501563530_c0af17258a_b.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

i like the way how it attracts me to the rest of the picture. ;) nice composition.

great composition, it is a usual scene with an added twist, i don't think i've seen this before.

it *is* a tad too grainy though, and i thought slightly less exposure so that the middle section isn't quite so blown out (and the surrounding darker) will be great.

also, maybe redo the urban acid part, the toning here is much too saturated, i felt. try 70/70 or 80/80. i think the result might be more pleasant and have a more appropriate mood.

p.s. on another note, please take pity on people with small laptop screens. :(

great composition, it is a usual scene with an added twist, i don't think i've seen this before.

it *is* a tad too grainy though, and i thought slightly less exposure so that the middle section isn't quite so blown out (and the surrounding darker) will be great.

also, maybe redo the urban acid part, the toning here is much too saturated, i felt. try 70/70 or 80/80. i think the result might be more pleasant and have a more appropriate mood.

i've seen my friend's shot on this before and i thought, "wow, what a great shot!" but he mentioned that there are already quite a number of ppl who had attempted this shoot too.. :sweatsm:

i've seen my friend's shot on this before and i thought, "wow, what a great shot!" but he mentioned that there are already quite a number of ppl who had attempted this shoot too.. :sweatsm:
yar, the bridge is very overphotographed in some sense.

this is the first one using the ledge i've seen though, maybe i haven't seen enough ;p

yar, the bridge is very overphotographed in some sense.

this is the first one using the ledge i've seen though, maybe i haven't seen enough ;p

Yup, first time i've seen this taken using the ledge too. Kinda high right?

Nice perspective man.

Mine, is the normal type. ;p

Here~

thanks guys, the ledge was quite high. did a tip-toe, raised hands thing and used live-view to get the alignment with the gap on the ledge...

thanks man.

sorry if the image is too large...:embrass:

i was quite undecided about the exposure too, decided to keep the shadow detail over the highlights. was thinking of doing a stack with different exposures but i couldn't hold the angle steady enough for multi exposures, will try such a shot again.

i'll take note on the saturation too. thanks!

Very good one. I can't say more.

Just curious. Where is this spot? I may try to look for it next time I go to Singapore. I had been there for more than a year before but I didn't see this place. Thanks.

Very good one. I can't say more.

Just curious. Where is this spot? I may try to look for it next time I go to Singapore. I had been there for more than a year before but I didn't see this place. Thanks.

thanks. its under the Esplanade Bridge (Esplanade Drive) between the Padang and Esplanade. The building in the picture is a new development in Marina Boulevard.

tried to process the image again based on your suggestions, but i couldn't get the same feel as the original. this is another attempt but i tried a cold toning in LR instead. i did use the s-curve from urban acid with some tweaks. also, did some distortion correction / exaggerated the vignetting / added noise to even out the noise distribution.

i know this took really long, but you think its closer to what i wanted to achieve?

2544918703_45d48d087f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.