Almost had my new lens swapped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

parampita

Jun 25, 2008
昭南島
I shall post an experience I've had not too long ago, very recent, in fact since the calender date just changed.

After discussing with another fellow CS-er, decided to post this so all who go for outings can be more mindful of such incidents.

Given the benefit of doubt that it might be an honest mistake, I shall not disclose the other party's nick and name in this post. I shall refer to him as MrQuickHands. Don't think there is a member here by that nick, if there happen to be, it is purely coincidental.

The following is a step by step illustration of the event, in plain straightforward descriptions.

1.) MrQuickHands and I had the same lens (Canon 100mm). Mine is almost new at 1 month old, his is of an earlier generation.

2.) His lens is not mounted on the camera, it is on the table. Mine is mounted on my camera.

3.) MrQuickHands took about another lens, a Tamron and asked me to try it.

4.) I'd dismounted my Canon lens, mounted his Tamron.

5.) Since my lens is on the table too, just put his Tamron rear end cap onto my Canon lens.

6.) At this moment, there are 2 Canon 100mm lenses on the table. His with Canon end cap and mine with his Tamron end cap.

7.) As I tried shooting some shots through the camera, I saw MrQuickHands swap the end caps on the 2 Canon lens.

8.) Next, MrQuickHands put the one with the Canon end cap (mine) into his bag. There is only 1 Canon lens on the table. Magical.

9.) I dismounted the Tamron lens and returned to him.

10.) I mounted the one and only Canon lens onto my camera to see if he will voice anything. He was very helpful. He reminded me to check that the red dot on the lens must be aligned properly with the camera mount. Nice guy.

11.) After I mounted the lens, nothing came from MrQuickHands. Peaceful. So I made it really simple by looking at him and gently said "Oi! Wrong lens!".

12.) MrQuickHands then apologized for the mix up and retrieved my lens from his bag and returned to me.

Maybe it's a simple misunderstanding, maybe it's a performance of sleight-of-hands gone wrong, I don't know.

Let's assume MrQuickHands really didn't realize he swapped the end caps on the lenses, and then subconsciously put my new lens into his bag. No biggie, I got my lens back in the end.

Moral of the story, be mindful of your equipments and those around you. It might be a silly mistake, but don't let such incidents happen and become an unknowing and accidental victim.

Thank you for reading.

lets move on, it's an honest mistake :bsmilie:

Oh dear ... you'll find all sorts in any hobby, but things like this have been happening since the 70s and 80s so it's nothing new. I've heard of a lot worse happening.

Thanks for sharing so that other members will remember to be more cautious. Perhaps can consider pasting a small, high-quality label with their name/no or anything on it? Like those thermal foil stickers that's quite durable?

why you never shoot his swapping of lens cap with his tamron on your camera? :p do high speed burst and make an animation

Good suggestion. May be I should do that and mark my items. :thumbsup:

Oh dear ... you'll find all sorts in any hobby, but things like this have been happening since the 70s and 80s so it's nothing new. I've heard of a lot worse happening.

Thanks for sharing so that other members will remember to be more cautious. Perhaps can consider pasting a small, high-quality label with their name/no or anything on it? Like those thermal foil stickers that's quite durable?

Yup, perhaps. That's why I did not post the nick, name, phone number and address here. :bsmilie:

WOW!

You have all those details? :confused:

I'm sure if it were an honest mistake, the person would not hesitate to come in here and apologize profusely, and sincerely.

If not, then I can imagine someone cringing in fear at the moment!

Maybe it just a honest mistake to put your lens inside his bag....... he actually only want to swap your rear end cap. :bsmilie:

WOW!

You have all those details? :confused:

I'm sure if it were an honest mistake, the person would not hesitate to come in here and apologize profusely, and sincerely.

If not, then I can imagine someone cringing in fear at the moment!

Bro, relax, dun get so worked up :sweat:
He apologized at step 12 in the post.

Hmmm..i do not think that it's a genuine mistake on his part cos u saw MrQuickHands swap the end caps on the 2 Canon lens. Fortunately u managed to get your new lens back. This reminds me of an incident when i was young......

I had a rather expensive remote control car in primary school. One day it broke down n my dad passed the car to his colleague to fix it cos his colleague offered to help FOC. When i got my car back,i told my dad that the car does not belong to me as mine was newer n the stickers were all intact. The one i received had some stickers that were peeled off n overall,it was obviously old. Dad brushed me off as sensitive. Later that night,i whined to my mum too n she told me they suspected that dad's colleague's son secretly swapped our cars. Mum told me to forget about it cos the colleague is a nice man. Dad does not want to embaress his colleague nor cause the son to get spanked. So i lived with an older remote control car. :angry:

Maybe it just a honest mistake to put your lens inside his bag....... he actually only want to swap your rear end cap. :bsmilie:

Possible.. except.. both rear end caps are his :eek:
My lens was mounted on my camera.

AND more importantly..

my lens caps are kept safely at home in a locked dry cabinet in a locked room. No one can swap these precious caps. LOL!

Wah, smooth operator ...

That reminds me of a case I saw at SLS. There was this uncle in this
shop that sells a lot of memory storage cards. I think he asked
the salesperson to let him test the memory card before buying,
He plugged the new memory card into his camera.

Suddenly, he pointed his finger and asked about some product
behind the salesperson to distract him. The salesperson turned
his body to face the pointed product. At the very moment, the uncle
swapped the memory card. He took out the new card from the
camera and placed it in his pocket and took out another one
to plug it back to the camera. It was done in a split second.

I did not see what happened next as I walked away to do other things.
He probably decline to buy the "new" memory card and return to
the salesperson by removing the "new" card in front of him.

But he already have the new memory card.

Luckily, you have "bullet time" skill to see that split second. :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

Bro, relax, dun get so worked up :sweat:
He apologized at step 12 in the post.

Err ... I'm not worked up ... believe me. I'm not. ;) Hehehehe.

I just found it EHEMZ :devil: that you mentioned that you had his name, nick, phone number and address soooo openly in the thread! Hehehehehe ... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

That's bad, bro. Knowing it is not your RC car but someone else's old toy really kills the joy already. If it's me, I won't play that RC car any more. Sad..

As for the swapping, I still give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the way I pose when holding the camera to shoot very stylo leh :sweat: And MrQuickHands see me stylo milo potato macam pro until didn't realize his quick hands were swapping the caps.

Hmmm..i do not think that it's a genuine mistake on his part cos u saw MrQuickHands swap the end caps on the 2 Canon lens. Fortunately u managed to get your new lens back. This reminds me of an incident when i was young......

I had a rather expensive remote control car in primary school. One day it broke down n my dad passed the car to his colleague to fix it cos his colleague offered to help FOC. When i got my car back,i told my dad that the car does not belong to me as mine was newer n the stickers were all intact. The one i received had some stickers that were peeled off n overall,it was obviously old. Dad brushed me off as sensitive. Later that night,i whined to my mum too n she told me they suspected that dad's colleague's son secretly swapped our cars. Mum told me to forget about it cos the colleague is a nice man. Dad does not want to embaress his colleague nor cause the son to get spanked. So i lived with an older remote control car. :angry:

Err ... I'm not worked up ... believe me. I'm not. ;) Hehehehe.

I just found it EHEMZ :devil: that you mentioned that you had his name, nick, phone number and address soooo openly in the thread! Hehehehehe ... :bsmilie::bsmilie:

No lah, I bluff one, I use scare tactic nia nia. ;p
But scary right?

No lah, I bluff one, I use scare tactic nia nia. ;p
But scary right?

Hehehehe ... who knows?

Mabbie NOW yu say that ... to confuse Mista Quick Cap Changing Hands one nia! :bsmilie:

So he will be wondering ... "does he, or doesn't he ... really?"

WAH! Param! Yu da beri :devil: leh! :thumbsup:

Memory card also want to take the risk to stunt? Er.. the SLS uncle win already. 武林高手 already. Champion.

Seriously I think this SLS uncle is really impressive to pull it off.

Wah, smooth operator ...

That reminds me of a case I saw at SLS. There was this uncle in this
shop that sells a lot of memory storage cards. I think he asked
the salesperson to let him test the memory card before buying,
He plugged the new memory card into his camera.

Suddenly, he pointed his finger and asked about some product
behind the salesperson to distract him. The salesperson turned
his body to face the pointed product. At the very moment, the uncle
swapped the memory card. He took out the new card from the
camera and placed it in his pocket and took out another one
to plug it back to the camera. It was done in a split second.

I did not see what happened next as I walked away to do other things.
He probably decline to buy the "new" memory card and return to
the salesperson by removing the "new" card in front of him.

But he already have the new memory card.

Luckily, you have "bullet time" skill to see that split second. :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

That's bad, bro. Knowing it is not your RC car but someone else's old toy really kills the joy already. If it's me, I won't play that RC car any more. Sad..

As for the swapping, I still give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the way I pose when holding the camera to shoot very stylo leh :sweat: And MrQuickHands see me stylo milo potato macam pro until didn't realize his quick hands were swapping the caps.

Well,my dad replaced the shell but the parts r still old right? :(

Think from now onwards, he know u have eyes growing on ur sides n back of ur head. :bsmilie:

Well,my dad replaced the shell but the parts r still old right? :(

Think from now onwards, he know u have eyes growing on ur sides n back of ur head. :bsmilie:

Eyes at front, side and back.. you make it sound like I am a spider leh. :confused:

Now I understand why my colleague (who used to work at Nikon) tells me I should shoot with both eyes open. I should thank her.

As for your RC car, do you still have it? It will have special sentimental value sia.

Status
Not open for further replies.