Almost a Canongrapher... But... Nikon has nice prices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

IForYou

Apr 20, 2006
Hey I'm new to photography and DSLRs...

Been reading alot about Canon and Nikon... (well, really alot for someone who knows nothing just 3 weeks ago)
And I'm leaning more towards becoming a Canongrapher...
cause of the low noise high ISO sensors... better for low lighting situations...
and Canon has better high end pro bodies and full frame bodies,
giving me more room to grow...
just in case I do get do that sort of level...

But the dark side has some pretty value for money entry level bodies like the D50 and D70s...
really tempting to go for the more budget offers...
D70s has a better kit lens 18-70...
and D50 is darn cheap...

so inside me it's still Canon vs Nikon bodies...

then again, lenses are more impt than the body...
top of the range Nikkors vs L lenses...
the 18-200 Nikkor is quite a good walk around lens that Nikon has and Canon doesn't... *drools*
Canon does have a good range of lenses though...

I don't have a really good budget right now so top of the range lenses are not within my reach.. gotta save up...
Probably will get a cheap 28-300 lens (tamrons)? (yeah I like walk arounds)

Anyway,
I'm quite confused,
Nikon system or Canon system...
it's hard to decide...

PS:
pls... no N v C wars here...
would like to hear more objective opinions... :D

the moment i see ur thread..i can immediately think of around 10 people who will reply "do a search in the forum, there is plenty and lots of thread on this already" some will say "go dpreview, go kenrockwell etc.. and read up more" and some will say "u dun even know wat u need, stay with dcompact better" and some more will say "it all depends on what you need, how do u expect us to tell u what to buy?" and some will say "both systems are great, thus u wont go wrong with either one.."

anyway, just take a look at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=189464
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=189465

seriously..just close ur eye and buy either system can already..u wont go wrong and their quality and price all that around same..

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

kcuf2 said:
the moment i see ur thread..i can immediately think of around 10 people who will reply "do a search in the forum, there is plenty and lots of thread on this already" some will say "go dpreview, go kenrockwell etc.. and read up more" and some will say "u dun even know wat u need, stay with dcompact better" and some more will say "it all depends on what you need, how do u expect us to tell u what to buy?" and some will say "both systems are great, thus u wont go wrong with either one.."

anyway, just take a look at http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=189464
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=189465

seriously..just close ur eye and buy either system can already..u wont go wrong and their quality and price all that around same..

Some even may say.. Buy both.. :bsmilie:

:devil: BBB:devil:

For me, it is because to my opinion Nikon is quite good for wide angle.. And coz I do photography for fun, sure thing I won't buy those expensive lenses and bodies lah.. Wide angle is most common for most people I think..

Difficult to explain :dunno: better you buy both then let me know which one you feel better :devil:

Alternatively pm zenten....
he own nikon,minolta and almost a canon...the best person to ask on which system is the best without prejudice...if money is not an issue for u.....buy both nikon n canon:devil:

I am also new and knows nothing but since u're comparing these 2 biggest brand in DSLR, I would say... just go for the brand name u like more. Can't go wrong with either of them i guess.

if i were to start all over again, id go for nikon. why? because as a newcomer to the DSLR world, canon's flash system is really quite disappointing. IIRC, canon's flash meters by calculating the exposure at the centre of the frame, so if you have an off-centre subject, voila, u get a wrongly exposed pic. nikon's flash calculates based on focus distance, so whatever it is, the results are pretty accurate.

if you foresee yourself shooting flash a lot, then id say go for the D70s. it has pretty good kit lens from 18-70 with ED element and SWM also. and of course, 3rd party lenses are not an issue. but having said that, i don't like the noise pattern at ISO1600 of the D70. i feel that my 350D handles noise very impressively.

My advise it to make frens here fm both party. Use their dslr to get a feel of it. Sometimes reviews tat u read tend to be one sided.

Best still, tink there's someone who rents out equipment n stuff. Rent it n shoot for a couple of days. At e end of it, i'm sure they'l b somethin tat u like. The feel of e system is impt to me at least.

Other things being equal, one system has an advantage over e other in some ways but bad in some other areas. So decide which areas u really really need n probably want.

Dont worry too much abt price cuz no point buyin somethin cheap now n 6 months down e road u feel u dont like it. Save more if u have to.

I also bought D70 because of the money. I was then comparing 20D against D70. I felt 20D was nicer but with extra 1K, I could buy a D70, a flash, a bag and a 50mm lens. Some would say its the person and not the camera that matters. I would say this is crap but in a way, a good enough camera is perfect for a good enough photographer. A few years from now, both D70 and 20D will be replaced with a better model. I think it already has. D70 has D70S.. not sure about canon. Not really paying attention to models.

no worry, everyone experience that when they were choosing their first dSLR/SLR. for me i went to the dark force. I can't bother with full frame dSLR (no $, better don see else u feel itchy :bsmilie: ). 2nd is becos i like nikon feel and look more than canon.(from pic i can feel that nikon looks alittle more solid when holding D50/D70 vs 350D). and lastly might be becos of the lower price nikon :thumbsup:

i'm in the same position when deciding N or C. that time i compared between 350D and D50 and somehow i chose 350D. Both are equally good. It's one of those moments that I just bought Canon. I still believed Nikon is good camera as well. Most important is the person behind the camera rather than the equipment. Buying equipment is only the beginning as there's loads to learn in photography. Good luck and welcome to the world of DSLR, simply fantastic!

My advise is to try both systems out at the shop. See which one you feel better with. Both are great systems, both have nice lenes and alot of accessories.

I have tried Canon and Nikon in the shop. Then I jumped to Nikon. :devil: What say you? :lovegrin: :devil:

I am in the midst of choosing D200 and Canon 30D. Difficult as both have their pros and cons.

But to answer your question, these are based on what my photo developer from a lab and some professional photographers say and also what I experienced.

Canon - 350D has better noise control and nicer skin tones. However, image is softer. The feel is very plastic and light.
Nikon - D50 has nicer skin tones than D70s. However D70s has more contrast and image is crispier. Outdoor is better. D70s feels solid.

As for Nikon 18 to 70 mm 3.5 to 4.5 aperture lens (kit lens). Good for general shoots but perform badly under low light. Feel brownish tinge

To fit with Nikon D70s, must fit Sigma EX DC series to get rid of brownish tinge as the lens skewed towards blue and red. Bring out strong highlights. Do you have a email? Sent u some pics to show u the difference between the 2 types of photos taken from D70s kit and Sigma lens.

Canon looks soft on computer while Niikon images looks right on computer. If sent to photo developing shops and develop 4R photos, you will not tell the difference unless you blow up. Will provide a bit more suggestions later.

It's a daunting issue for someone new to DSLRs, but as mentioned before, you could probably close your eyes and take either one, and still be happy with the decision. As you've already researched, each one has their pros and cons, and if both brands have grabbed your attention equally then both have actually succeeded in terms of competition.

Since you like walkarounds, the Nikon 18-200mm would certainly suit your needs if you decided to get a Nikon body. If you went Canon, try looking for something along the lines of the Sigma 18-125mm (the 18-200mm did not get an equally good review at www.photozone.de). Because of the crop factor, the base focal length of all lenses are multiplied by 1.5X for a Nikon body and 1.6X for an entry-level Canon body. Hence, a 28-200mm lens is really something like a 42-300mm+...not that wide at all. But a lens with a base focal length of 18mm will give you an effective of 27 or 29mm, which is a lot wider and more versatile. To put it another way, such cameras are biased towards telephoto...wide lenses (eg. 28mm, 35mm) become not-so-wide and telephoto lenses become even longer. Do bear this in mind when you choose a lens.

But to be frank, the kit lenses on either system would probably suit your walkaround needs quite well, depending on your shooting habit. For example, if you do nature and perhaps interiors or architecture, you'd be relying on the wide end a lot, so it doesn't matter how long the lens goes. For street portraits, you may want something faster than the kit lens, so you may venture into a 50mm f/1.8 or an 85mm f/1.8.

As your budget expands and as your shooting habits change, you may even opt to get a very long telephoto zoom such as Nikon's 80-400mm or Canon's 100-400mm (again, depending on which system you choose), so it is not crucial to get a walk-around lens with an expansive zoom range. It is advisable to spend some time shooting with the kit lens before venturing further to buy other lenses/ accessories. Getting a UV filter to protect your kit lens from day one however, is something I'd recommend.

This is a case where nobody will be able to help you make a decision...not even the camera shop dealers. It will be a good idea to actually go to a shop and have some hands-on experience with each camera before putting your money over. For example, if you have large hands and like wider handgrips, you may find the 350D too petite and will opt for a D70 or D70s instead. But if you're like me and love small, light bodies, then the 350D will fit your bill. What about the interface? Are the menus intuitive and easily accessible? Are there any quirks that you will not be able to live with?

In the end, make sure you get something that you really like. If you land up with something you're uncomfortable with, the amount of shooting time you'll be willing to take will obviously suffer. There's always the common sayings that go, "It's the person behind the camera, not the camera itself that makes the picture," and "A bad workman blames his tools". But all we can say is, "If you're going to do it, do it once and do it right". If you choose to change systems sometime down the track, you'll need to part with the body and also try to sell off the lenses. It's a loss, and it's trouble.

Canon or Nikon u wont go wrong with both , only problem is which lens u are going to use .... Anyway u should be looking at the overall system lineup and not which is cheapest

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
if i were to start all over again, id go for nikon. why? because as a newcomer to the DSLR world, canon's flash system is really quite disappointing. IIRC, canon's flash meters by calculating the exposure at the centre of the frame, so if you have an off-centre subject, voila, u get a wrongly exposed pic. nikon's flash calculates based on focus distance, so whatever it is, the results are pretty accurate.

if you foresee yourself shooting flash a lot, then id say go for the D70s. it has pretty good kit lens from 18-70 with ED element and SWM also. and of course, 3rd party lenses are not an issue. but having said that, i don't like the noise pattern at ISO1600 of the D70. i feel that my 350D handles noise very impressively.

Nikon flash distance calculation works only if you are using a D lens if i'm not wrong. Canon also takes distance into account with the new eTTL2 metering system. Noise on the D70 is a bit over whelming for me at 800 already. My P&S can do better than that. :sticktong

quoting watcher: if the photographer is good, the camera matters little. if the photographer is poor, the camera does not matter.

gotta decide yourself.. esp since you've already does your reseach..

yawnzz
sorry my friend .. ask u to sell camera for 1month

didnt know u kenna poison by DSLR
amen to you :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.