All those who have changed entire system before.

lemonaid

Feb 11, 2011
I understand it is not advisable to change system. But i'm currently very new to photography, and I wanna know how 'ma fan' is it to eventually change system, including selling off existing lenses etc etc. Or the whole procedure is relatively ease free.

So to all brothers who have changed from one system to another, any advice? I'm currently targeting sony dslt a55 anyway.

I've not changed a whole system before but its easier if you are not in too deep, eg. have many lenses. Sometimes selling something simple like a bag or tripod is already enough to make you puke blood if you meet the wrong buyers, imagine big ticket items like lenses and a few to boot, might just drive you nuts. Also, if your lens model is "unpopular" it might take some time for you to sell it off.

I went from Canon to Nikon.
I managed to sell all mine Canon gears away successfully with minimal lost therefore do be prepared to loose $$$ for making a switch.

Don't even think of changing system when you're so new into photography.

If you have a lot of valid reasons to make the switch, why not? It would be 'ma fan' if you were to stick on your system and hate the aspects of your very own camera.
Just do take note, switching costs you. Don't regret your actions afterwards. Be well informed on your camera and your 'future' camera.

Last edited:
I understand it is not advisable to change system. But i'm currently very new to photography, and I wanna know how 'ma fan' is it to eventually change system, including selling off existing lenses etc etc. Or the whole procedure is relatively ease free.

So to all brothers who have changed from one system to another, any advice? I'm currently targeting sony dslt a55 anyway.

depends why you want to change system. For me, i use 2 systems and they complement each other.

I have changed twice. From Sony to pentax to present canon. For the first 2 systems I did not have much lenses(2 to 3) and mostly were basic kit lens so pretty ok.

As long as you can sell your present gear off, I don't see a problem with changing.

But what are your motives for changing?

I have changed twice. From Sony to pentax to present canon. For the first 2 systems I did not have much lenses(2 to 3) and mostly were basic kit lens so pretty ok.

As long as you can sell your present gear off, I don't see a problem with changing.

But what are your motives for changing?

U must be joking that Pentax do not have enough lenses? Go on and take a look at their wide range of prime lens and not forgetting third party lenses.

TS, just make sure you do enough research before you commit. Know what genre of photography you will like to venture in and then look at the range of lens and accessories that the brand can provide. Does it suit your needs? Do you like the feel of the camera in your hands? Do you like the egonomics of the camera.... etc?

U must be joking that Pentax do not have enough lenses? Go on and take a look at their wide range of prime lens and not forgetting third party lenses.

TS, just make sure you do enough research before you commit. Know what genre of photography you will like to venture in and then look at the range of lens and accessories that the brand can provide. Does it suit your needs? Do you like the feel of the camera in your hands? Do you like the egonomics of the camera.... etc?

He never said Pentax does not have a lot of lenses. Please read again - he only said he didn't have a lot of lenses so the switch was easy.

He never said Pentax does not have a lot of lenses. Please read again - he only said he didn't have a lot of lenses so the switch was easy.

Thanks for the clarification.

switch from nikon to canon last year, but i only hve body+grip & kit lens(bought 2nd hand), thus no penny loss in changing system...

never read carefully before posting eh? LOL but i'm guilty of that too.

but take note. what do you mean by genre of photography? IMO no camera systems is only made for just one genre of photography. you must be kidding me.

if what you said made any sense, i would need a canon for portraits, nikon for landscapes and sony for macro. but that isn't the case. please do some research before making that comment.

the only valid point i would feel is whether the ergonomics and interface suit you...

First of all think, do you NEED the change before you change. I have many friends who change their systems, just because they feel like they dont really like the IQ and body, blah blah blah, which i think is total bullocks.

I changed from a mirrorless (GF1) to Pentax. Was considering to change to a FF camera, as i got a friend who always talk to me about how wonderful his FF camera is. But decided against, as its requires a change in system, which most likely incurs a loss. Also i am already used to my current controls and lastly i am happy with my current setup. I want a FF camera to try it out, but i don't NEED it.

Hope you think about the WANT and NEED before changing in future. Money not easy to earn lei :(

never read carefully before posting eh? LOL but i'm guilty of that too.

but take note. what do you mean by genre of photography? IMO no camera systems is only made for just one genre of photography. you must be kidding me.

if what you said made any sense, i would need a canon for portraits, nikon for landscapes and sony for macro. but that isn't the case. please do some research before making that comment.

the only valid point i would feel is whether the ergonomics and interface suit you...

I believe he means buying the right camera system to suit your needs rather than genre of photography. Example, if you want something light and portable very likely you will consider a Nex or M4/3 etc. But if you are doing sports photography you might want to consider something with a faster AF.

Anyway, switching of system is not that troublesome. just sell everything on B&S forum and you are done.

I adopt two systems ( N and C )

Remember to think if u really need to switch systems. It is seldom so compellingly worth to jump system for the usual users.

* but if u are so unsure as to ask for opinions, u really have to ask within urself if the switch is really so compelling ..
otherwise when something new comes out from ur current system u will be thinking of jumping ship again.

Ryan

Back then, I switch from C to S, it wasn't really troublesome as i only have a body and a few lenses. If you have made up your mind to make the switch, go for it. If not you will start to feel very sian as your heart is with the other camp. haha. After the switch, it will ignite your passion again, at least for awhile. :D

Having said that, i don't recommend switching system like changing underwear.

You did not mention what your current system is, but I'm curious to know what the sony dslr has to offer that your current system does not have???

Before I even bought my first dslr, I made sure to research the pros and cons of each system(well only Canon and Nikon, no Sony back then :p), and I found out that they pretty much balance each other out. So the deciding factor for me was the ergonomics, and my right hand fits perfectly well with a Canon, hence I went with that brand.

If you are totally convinced Sony is the best fit for you, then go ahead and switch. Just make sure you are well informed of the pros and cons and the potential pitfalls of owning a Sony...I hope you make the right decision, cheers!

I believe he means buying the right camera system to suit your needs rather than genre of photography. Example, if you want something light and portable very likely you will consider a Nex or M4/3 etc. But if you are doing sports photography you might want to consider something with a faster AF.

Anyway, switching of system is not that troublesome. just sell everything on B&S forum and you are done.

the ergonomics and size factor was covered in the last part of the post.

but for photography genre..i feel that genre is not determined by equipment..i've seen very basic set-ups capture great shots for sports like drifting and soccer. you can do macro even with a PNS camera.

and it's more than selling off everything on BNS. depreciation costs, whether you can recover enough to purchase the new system, the Return On Investment, and the emotional attachment to equipment especially after years of usage. for those with an extensive range of gear, this is a key consideration.

(till now, i still haven't sold my Fuji S7000. i just passed it to my dad so he can keep it for me)

Changing system can be expensive.

I suggest TS keep the current system for a while more, do not buy anymore lenses, accessories, etc. Use the system more - then may have a better idea why the change is necessary or desired.

At the end of the day, even if it is just for "shiokness", and TS can afford, who is to say cannot change? Just sell the old system here on CS.

If it is a personal preference just go ahead a change...like you dun like the user interface, how the button is place, etc. Personal feel tats all.

BUT!!!! could be the extra pixel count...seeing some brand have sharper image than what you have.

Not getting the results you should with what you have now? Go compare with different lenses / bodies. Lens individually... some having better quality.

Thanks for the clarification.

Opps... sorry titus1984 for my mistake... Didnt read properly...:embrass:

Last edited: