All the Fuss about Bounce Card.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulhan

May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
Hi All....

I was asked yesterday by some newbies and some CS members on whay do we need a Flash Bounce Card.....

So i tot it would be great to jusz provide some illustration here....
whybounce.jpg

As you can see with a tilt bounce flash technique, in some cases the ligting may look unnatural as the light gives a top down lighting. Hence creating prominent shadows in these areas:
- below the nose(if the subject have a long nose)
- Below the chin
- Below the eye ball socket(if have deep set eyes)
- Shouder if the model spots a above shoulder length hair.....
- High Cheeks
- In some cases behind the subject

A bounce flash will help to give a soft frontal lighting hence reducing the shadows mentioned above....
The Shadows are still needed to give detail so the presence of frontal light is essential...but now dampened a little by the presence of a ratio of frontal light.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
me

Hiee... Mega.....

Well.... i just did the sketch based on what i can afford during my tea break........ :D

NIKLEV: The Ominibouce May not have the Power to do a forward ceiling bounce as the Omnibounce Caps the Flash on the forward throw.

regards,
Sulhan

Question: Why do so many people then use the bounce card in areas where there's no ceiling to bounce off? :devil:

Originally posted by YSLee
Question: Why do so many people then use the bounce card in areas where there's no ceiling to bounce off? :devil:

They have imaginary ceiling in their mind.......the bigger the bounce card mounted on flash....the more imaginative the photographer.....:bsmilie:

Originally posted by Knighthunter
They have imaginary ceiling in their mind.......the bigger the bounce card mounted on flash....the more imaginative the photographer.....:bsmilie:

:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Knighthunter

serious, so bounce card is useless outdoors?

would the omnibounce serve a better purpose outdoors then? :dunno:

Originally posted by mr_jason
serious, so bounce card is useless outdoors?

would the omnibounce serve a better purpose outdoors then? :dunno:

i think that bounce cards will always be useful indoors or out, to reduce to harshness on the subject... im sorta assuming that we are refereing to outdoor potraits and people or animal pictures...

also indoors, the bounce card serves to make the effective height of the flash higher... thus decreasing the risk of red eye in your subject... (this is achieved by tilting the head fully vertical such that the build in bounce card is perpendicular to the subject.)

Status
Not open for further replies.