All-round starter lens for FM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheburnt

Jun 23, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Newbie here been shooting for about a year now and recently just sold off my Canon and bought a Nikon FM2 body. Thus, I am looking at getting an all rounded lens to fit the body. My budget is below S$500 and I usually shoot portraits, street and architectural pics. I have little knowledge on Nikon lens and where is the best place to get them. I know my budget is pretty tight and I cant be expecting a lot out of it, anyways hope you guys can help me suggest some good lens for my new FM2.

Thanks so much in advance

Cheers,

Vic

Get a AF 50 f/1.8D lens. Yours is a full manual, so avoid G & DX lenses. The 50 should tide you through a few months of happiness and it's cheap too. Lords has stock for the lens, can check them out.

sheburnt said:
Hi everyone,

Newbie here been shooting for about a year now and recently just sold off my Canon and bought a Nikon FM2 body. Thus, I am looking at getting an all rounded lens to fit the body. My budget is below S$500 and I usually shoot portraits, street and architectural pics. I have little knowledge on Nikon lens and where is the best place to get them. I know my budget is pretty tight and I cant be expecting a lot out of it, anyways hope you guys can help me suggest some good lens for my new FM2.

Thanks so much in advance

Cheers,

Vic

I'm using a Tokina Pro II for my F80 and i find it super (for my stardard) good lens. Worth the money and it never disappoint me when it print out (Sharpness and Colours). I never regret to have this lens. U might want to give it a try? TCW (The Camera Workshop) have two units of this. If not u can post here to look for one.

It a constant F2.8 lens, range is 28-70mm. But i dun knw is it too big for yr FM2? :dunno:

Hope this help. ;)

espn said:
Get a AF 50 f/1.8D lens. Yours is a full manual, so avoid G & DX lenses. The 50 should tide you through a few months of happiness and it's cheap too. Lords has stock for the lens, can check them out.

Hey thanks for your recommendation. Whats a G & DX lens? Whereabout is Lords? Lastly, Im assuming this is a fixed focal length lens? Sorry but I really got no clue about lenses.

Vic

If you don't foresee any AF cameras in your future, you might want to check out the MF lenses, ie the AIS/AI series, which have a better manual focussing feel than most AF lenses which are optimised for AF and not MF (the feel is different).

For streetshooting, I feel that a normal-wide lens would be better, so I suggest the 35mm f2 AIS, which should come under your budget if you get a second hand one.

Are you buying new or used?

If you are not going to AF sooner, you will find some very good value MF lens as people is "dumping" them. :p

You have to note that most AF lens is quite difficult to get precise manual focus as the focus throw is too short. A small turn will throw the focus distance qute far from your intended focus point.

In summary, I will propose the Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. You should be able to get one below $500 used.

Pro of this lens
Light
Reasonable sharp even at wide open
Good coverage on film
Minimal distortion

Some of the shots in my homepage under "Feature" are taken by them.

binbeto said:
In summary, I will propose the Nikon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. You should be able to get one below $500 used.

Pro of this lens
Light
Good coverage on film
Minimal distortion

:thumbsup:

Good all rounder starter lens.

Pro of this lens
Light
Good coverage on film
Minimal distortion

Some of the shots in my homepage under "Feature" are taken by them.[/QUOTE]

Good lens. I am using one as well. Dun worry about the focus throw issue. You will get used to the AF focus "feel" soon enough...at least it works alright for me. :)

I agree.. you could look at the 28-105mm lenses. The best, of course is to get a Nikkor lens, if it beats your budget... try a third party lens...

Did you buy your FM2 new or used?

Hi Tupi Guy,

Thanks for your recommendation. Will check out the Tokina lens you recommended.

Cheers,

Vic

Silverelf said:
I agree.. you could look at the 28-105mm lenses. The best, of course is to get a Nikkor lens, if it beats your budget... try a third party lens...
Good recommendation from binbeto! 28mm is good for architectural, landscape, while 90-105mm good for portraiture.

sheburnt said:
Hi Tupi Guy,

Thanks for your recommendation. Will check out the Tokina lens you recommended.

Cheers,

Vic

U are welcome :)

Cos last time i oso haf this problem, dun knw which lens to get. After many rounds of searching and asking. I happily end up with the Tokina PRO II.

Nikon 28-105 is oso really a good choice

Status
Not open for further replies.