All Lee big stopper have blue cast

Was worried that I would receive my big stopper with a strong blue cast, thus i emailed lee filters to enquire if their quality check had miss out certain filters.. but this is the response I got from them

"Hello,

Thanks for your email via our website.

All Big stoppers have a blue cast. The filter is not sold as a neutral filter but rather as a long exposure effect filter. The cast does vary slightly between manufacturing batches but all batches so far have been within a tolerance that is correctable in RAW processing. We cannot make a filter of this density which does not have a cast, but the blue cast that ours has is generally deemed to be the most easily corrected.

I hope this helps, if you need anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

With regards

Graham Merritt
Technical Sales Manager

LEE Filters
Walworth Ind. Est.
Andover
Hants
England
SP10 5AN
"

Guess we have no choice now, just a matter of how blue is yours.. Maybe we can compare. Upload you blue big filter pics using auto WB? I have not gotten mine yet, will do when i have..
Good luck, to me.. haha

Ah finally a reply from Lee. They still haven't replied to mine though. Strange.

Not the kind of reply I would love to hear but whatever floats their boat. They should call it the Blue Enhancer instead.

I think this is due the the wavelength of different spectrum, can't alter the law of physics unless you are the divine one.

Ok, it sux big time.. Guess we jus to have to live with it.. i normally shot raw so i just shrug it off..

Last edited:
I think this is due the the wavelength of different spectrum, can't alter the law of physics unless you are the divine one.

I always thought color cast is caused by infra red contamination. was taught in school that infra is in the red spectrum while ultraviolet in the blue, couldnt be a ultraviolet contamination now could it? haha..
Should get B+W to produce a square 10-stopper, since theirs seems to be give the best result so far?

Why do you think a square 10-stopper will be good? Square high-strength ND filters have great issues with light leaks. I'm happy with the circular ones.

Btw, as LEE says, the issue here is "easily correctible". If a heavy blue cast is introduced, I suspect it will be easily corrected in RAW with either the select white point or Kelvin adjustments. Sometimes the casts introduced by B+W can be very hard to correct, particularly at sunset timing.

Why do you think a square 10-stopper will be good? Square high-strength ND filters have great issues with light leaks. I'm happy with the circular ones.

Btw, as LEE says, the issue here is "easily correctible". If a heavy blue cast is introduced, I suspect it will be easily corrected in RAW with either the select white point or Kelvin adjustments. Sometimes the casts introduced by B+W can be very hard to correct, particularly at sunset timing.

I think that is why they need those form or poron gasket around the edge to give a good seal to prevent the light leakage problem.

I believe my post in the review section had already address this.

I think that is why they need those form or poron gasket around the edge to give a good seal to prevent the light leakage problem.

I believe my post in the review section had already address this.

Yes, of course that is why they have the foam thing. Still possible to have light leak though, if you don't slide it in the proper place.

Nevertheless, slide-in filters have a few advantages:

1) Can apply to all lens, just need adaptor ring
2) Can easily remove the filter holder to see through the VF without having to unscrew, etc

As a P series user who won't go to Z series because of the exponential increase in price... I can only use one filter at best though (with UWA filter holder). Stacking ND110 + GND will give slight vignetting at extreme corners that is easily correctible (particularly when correcting for lens distortion in CS5, it just disappears). :)