All in one lenses.

Which lens would you get?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrorion

Oct 1, 2009
I am thinking if a all in one tamron 18-270mm can do all things why still need a 17-50mm lens?:dunno::dunno:
Just some curious, who would get this lens? or just both :think::think::think:

Though 18-270 covers the 17-50 range, you can't drop the aperture to 2.8. The Image quality (IQ) also differs with the 17-50 and even with your 18-105.

One thing about these lenses (those with super wide range) is that you tend to get more pincushion effects at either wide or tele end and the purple fringing (chromatic aberrations) is also more. So basically you get convenience but sacrificing image quality.

I am thinking if a all in one tamron 18-270mm can do all things why still need a 17-50mm lens?:dunno::dunno:

The lens cannot do all things, it can only cover a big huge range thats all.
If you need a lens that can cover a huge range, prob thats your lens. But everyone has different needs

you forgetting the options neither, which i'd choose.

I will choose neither as well..
I much depending on ur shooting style and what kind of lens one comfortable working with (be it zoom or prime). And u are comparing a do it all lens with a fast lens (f2.8)
I'll get 17-50VC if u insists and 70-300VR at some stage in time later if the need call for it.

Last edited:
I have a Tamron 18-200 for those times I can only afford to bring ONE lens. But I normally bring an UWA, mid-zoom and tele.

So, it depends on situation, budget, etc.

:think: Don't think there is an all-in-one lenses that will cover, ranges like UWA, WA, mid-zoom, long zoom, those suitable to take animals. It would be like 10-500mm.

On top of that, the lens have to be able to be used for:
- Fisheye
- Portraiture (creamy bokeh)
- Marco
- Fast (good focus speed)
- Big (Max aperture f/1.2 - f/2.8)
- Sharp at center and edge for nature/scenery shots when wide open
- Light weight (so can use for travel)
- Noiseless (so won't scare animals)
- VR for up to at least 4 stops, but more is preferred (for use in low light conditions)
- Perspective control (to take buildings)

Nope. So far I have not know of such a lenses that can be all-in-one. If there is, let me know. Think it will cost about 1 million USD????

Then I will only have 1 lenses. And make it a point and shoot since changing lens is no longer required. Throw in a rotate-able LCD like the D5000, full frame, with controls like D700, or make it fully auto. Then just get one camera can liao.

I'm dreaming but Christmas is coming, so why can't we dream and hope?

Last edited:
depends on line of work and style of photography.

myself...i find the 70-300 range more useful as a events photographer. 18-270 would work just that not easy testing for good copy + not all stores will stock multiple copies.

if you are using canon crop camera, the EFS 55-250 IS is possibly the most value zoom lens ever in my opinion.

Last edited:
:think: Don't think there is an all-in-one lenses that will cover, ranges like UWA, WA, mid-zoom, long zoom, those suitable to take animals. It would be like 10-500mm.

On top of that, the lens have to be able to be used for:
- Fisheye
- Portraiture (creamy bokeh)
- Marco
- Fast (good focus speed)
- Big (Max aperture f/1.2 - f/2.8)
- Sharp at center and edge for nature/scenery shots when wide open
- Light weight (so can use for travel)
- Noiseless (so won't scare animals)
- VR for up to at least 4 stops, but more is preferred (for use in low light conditions)
- Perspective control (to take buildings)

Nope. So far I have not know of such a lenses that can be all-in-one. If there is, let me know. Think it will cost about 1 million USD????

Then I will only have 1 lenses. And make it a point and shoot since changing lens is no longer required. Throw in a rotate-able LCD like the D5000, full frame, with controls like D700, or make it fully auto. Then just get one camera can liao.

I'm dreaming but Christmas is coming, so why can't we dream and hope?

:sweat::bsmilie:

Ya...maybe all in one is a bit too much to build in a lens. Sorry maybe I place the wrong idea ;) . Me too I wish to dream to have something like u said, DXXXX (in future) with rotatable LED screen, full frame. Hahaha....

:) Christmas coming so dream come true where only one brand, one model n one lens in the world so there is no major different n compare...:eek: haha:cool:
Photography world will be 'flat'..:bheart:

erm...18mm-270mm maybe is good for travelling...general use..so u dont have to take many lens and dont need to change lens so often....actually i am thinking of buying that lens for travelling only...since i have other lens for more specific use for better results...

erm...18mm-270mm maybe is good for travelling...general use..so u dont have to take many lens and dont need to change lens so often....actually i am thinking of buying that lens for travelling only...since i have other lens for more specific use for better results...

for me I want to take both, but first I will choose 18-270mm for travel purpose. I will wait for my paid days to come hahaha......

for me I want to take both, but first I will choose 18-270mm for travel purpose. I will wait for my paid days to come hahaha......

but how is 18-270mm IQ?? as i know having one full zoom range...the IQ might not be good...

but how is 18-270mm IQ?? as i know having one full zoom range...the IQ might not be good...

Errr...so sorry what do u mean by IQ, me a newbies. :confused:

What in my mind is that i wanted to get a zoom lens but w/o bring so many lens to travel. I came across this Tamron 18-270mm, The focus length is 3.5-6.3 and is the same as my kits lens on D90, I might getting it to replace my kits lens. First I wish I can try it then consider to buy.....:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.