All About Camera Bags!


Status
Not open for further replies.

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#3
plinius: In reply to your previous request on the Domke J2 here are the pictures... tot of posting it here to share it with others too...




Inside of the Domke J2. Notice the Insert is not the same like the F2 Cross Design. the J2 Insert's compartment is removable and configurable. And the sides of the J2 is also padded, and it's Vercro all around it so you can stick the Compartment separator anyway you want it too~!


side view, with a 24-70 F2.8L for comparison. I think it can fit a 70-200 vertically easily.


last but not least, just added a Mekko shoulder pad to my domke, got it for 10bucks from TCW today. PRetty good pads, prefer it to the Domke shoulder pad.

And yea, my previous J2 got some stiching problem with the vercro, so I sent it back to cathay today, immediately without a word, they replace a new J2 for me... the above pics show my "New" bag... kudos for Cathay Photos...
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#4
Hey RossChang!

Thanks for the great pictures!

REally appreciate it.

Hmm....just thinking aloud (to any Mods), is it possible to start a sticky thread on just Camera Bags alone? I see that every now and then, they will be CSers asking for recommendation of bags (including myself), qns like can this bag fits this plus this and that. Why dun we start a sticky and let all CSers post pictures of their bags loaded with their equipments.


RossChang said:
plinius: In reply to your previous request on the Domke J2 here are the pictures... tot of posting it here to share it with others too...




Inside of the Domke J2. Notice the Insert is not the same like the F2 Cross Design. the J2 Insert's compartment is removable and configurable. And the sides of the J2 is also padded, and it's Vercro all around it so you can stick the Compartment separator anyway you want it too~!


side view, with a 24-70 F2.8L for comparison. I think it can fit a 70-200 vertically easily.


last but not least, just added a Mekko shoulder pad to my domke, got it for 10bucks from TCW today. PRetty good pads, prefer it to the Domke shoulder pad.

And yea, my previous J2 got some stiching problem with the vercro, so I sent it back to cathay today, immediately without a word, they replace a new J2 for me... the above pics show my "New" bag... kudos for Cathay Photos...
 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#5
plinius said:
Hey RossChang!

Thanks for the great pictures!

REally appreciate it.

Hmm....just thinking aloud (to any Mods), is it possible to start a sticky thread on just Camera Bags alone? I see that every now and then, they will be CSers asking for recommendation of bags (including myself), qns like can this bag fits this plus this and that. Why dun we start a sticky and let all CSers post pictures of their bags loaded with their equipments.
Glad to be of help... so, decided what to get yet?. ;p
 

Vulpix0r

Senior Member
Oct 2, 2002
3,136
0
0
West
#6
I would also like to recommend the awesome Tamrac Velocity series bags with the MX5384 Medium Accessory Pocket Attachment and the MX5398 Water Bottle with Padded Carrier for the ultimate bag. Can easily fit an 80-200mm f2.8 with body inside.

Forgot to mention you can buy Tamrac bags at Pro Photo in Plaza Singapura, but the MX5384 must buy online since they don't carry it. It can be easily gotten at SG$25 w/shipping if you look for it carefully on ebay.
 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#7
oh yea, just to add, I've also added a 2 compartment insert to my Domke and moved the org insert to the side, and by removing all those padding compartment from the org insert, I can fit a 300d + grip + 24-70 attached in it... pretty handy for a lazy person like me who don't like to re-attached lenses everytime ;p

and yea, the J2 side pockets are padded with removable padding also... can fit additional lenses or flashes or body... :thumbsup:

:and: I can strap my Gitzo 1228 onto the bag from the top cover too ;p

the weight?... a killer... :sweatsm: :sweat:
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#8
me still in dilemma leh, not too sure of which to get: the F2 Canvas or Ballistic.

now more to the F2 Canvas side.... ;)


RossChang said:
Glad to be of help... so, decided what to get yet?. ;p
 

XXX Boy

New Member
Jan 11, 2004
1,159
0
0
42
GEYLAND LOR 15 LO
#9
Just wanna share wif you guys my fav bag...the Billingham Hardley Small bag and it is really small and able to contain my gears! Its very well-made and it is a great bag! :thumbsup:



 

RossChang

New Member
May 2, 2004
1,549
0
0
rossblogspace.blogspot.com
#10
plinius said:
me still in dilemma leh, not too sure of which to get: the F2 Canvas or Ballistic.

now more to the F2 Canvas side.... ;)
Do note that the Ballistic version tend to collect dust overtime and you will have to wash it more frequent thant the Canvas version :D
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#11
Hi

I think the idea to make a sticky thread about camera bags is a very good one! One of the guys in the official Leica camera forum started a thread showing pictures of camera bags actually loaded with gear to help people with no physical access to camera stores or shops carrying the bags that they want to decide which to buy. I thought that was pretty neat..

Anyway plinius, to help you out with that F2 decision, here's a pic of my bag to help you "see" how many items can fit into the F2 and how they can possibly be arranged....





The large gaping hole in the main compartment is where I keep the Canon 20D with grip used to take this pic :) It sits comfortably in that space. From left to right, top to bottom, the 4 internal compartment holds a Leica M3 with 50mm lens, Leica M6 with 35mm lens, 70-200 f2.8L and a 16-35 f2.8L (not shown cos I was using it to take this pic!).

Looking at the pic, the left hand side compartment holds the Canon 420EX flash, a SF20 Leica flash (you can't see it in the pic cos it's small. It's just beside the 420EX) and the dust blower (Sits on top of the SF20 flash).

On the right hand side compartment is where the 70-200 f2.8L's lens hood is housed, together with rolls of film thrown in :) Sometimes, if I need, i throw in the ST-E2 wireless transmitter in it too...... (not something that happens very often)

The front left pocket holds pens, press passes, tags etc and other miscellaneous stuff. The right front pocket holds the extra batteries for the flash, extra batteries for the camera, and a CF card holder that holds 4 CF cards.

Bear in mind, too, that my bag is almost 3 years old now, has been used almost everyday, and has bene through a lot, so the canvas is by now extremely soft and mouldable. A new bag would be a bit stiffer until you use and season it :)

Also, remember that I do NOT carry all of that gear all the time, but only when I want to bring everything out (again, does not happen very often, especially now that I use the rangefinders more often, in another Domke, the F803) :p I put them all in to show you the potential of fitting more stuff into the bag.

Btw, the ballistic one should be more weatherproof than the canvas version. Mine has a very small hole / tear at the bottom edge liao from all that abuse :bsmilie: But still, nothing gets into the bag. It's a good buy either way, canvas or ballistic.
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#12
Hi,

Thanks for the picture..

Actually I also found a coolz site (in Japanese though) which sells Domke bags and shows the pictures of the bag loaded with stuffs....

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mitsuba/445268/414041/449262/

the male model cute eh....muahaha.... ;)

I think i prefer the F2 Canvas more now..main thing is coz it is softer and moldable, so I can use it to carry full load of stuffs or just to carry the body and a single lens out for shooting....

ermm...so do we make this thread a sticky or start with new thread? :)

Cheers

Red Dawn said:
Hi

I think the idea to make a sticky thread about camera bags is a very good one! One of the guys in the official Leica camera forum started a thread showing pictures of camera bags actually loaded with gear to help people with no physical access to camera stores or shops carrying the bags that they want to decide which to buy. I thought that was pretty neat..

Anyway plinius, to help you out with that F2 decision, here's a pic of my bag to help you "see" how many items can fit into the F2 and how they can possibly be arranged....




Bear in mind, too, that my bag is almost 3 years old now, has been used almost everyday, and has bene through a lot, so the canvas is by now extremely soft and mouldable. A new bag would be a bit stiffer until you use and season it :)

Also, remember that I do NOT carry all of that gear all the time, but only when I want to bring everything out (again, does not happen very often, especially now that I use the rangefinders more often, in another Domke, the F803) :p I put them all in to show you the potential of fitting more stuff into the bag.

Btw, the ballistic one should be more weatherproof than the canvas version. Mine has a very small hole / tear at the bottom edge liao from all that abuse :bsmilie: But still, nothing gets into the bag. It's a good buy either way, canvas or ballistic.
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#13
plinius said:
Hi,

Thanks for the picture..

Actually I also found a coolz site (in Japanese though) which sells Domke bags and shows the pictures of the bag loaded with stuffs....

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/mitsuba/445268/414041/449262/

the male model cute eh....muahaha.... ;)

I think i prefer the F2 Canvas more now..main thing is coz it is softer and moldable, so I can use it to carry full load of stuffs or just to carry the body and a single lens out for shooting....

ermm...so do we make this thread a sticky or start with new thread? :)

Cheers
wow how did they stuff 2 SLR bodies in the main compartment and all those various lenses in? their bag makes mine look light :p

think we can continue in this thread for the time being....
 

cookiez

New Member
Oct 6, 2003
419
0
0
#14
Vulpix0r said:
I would also like to recommend the awesome Tamrac Velocity series bags
I'm interested to get the Tamrac Velocity 7 (model 5747), do you
happen to know if it is available in Pro Photo and the price ? Dun want to go
down then realise they didnt carry the range. Thanks.
 

Vulpix0r

Senior Member
Oct 2, 2002
3,136
0
0
West
#15
Call them? I don't remember their number, but you can try calling Plaza Singapura's customer service, because I don't own the shop, and neither do I frequent it.
 

Sep 16, 2003
457
0
0
Visit site
#16
plinius said:
me still in dilemma leh, not too sure of which to get: the F2 Canvas or Ballistic.

now more to the F2 Canvas side.... ;)
Do you know how much is the F2 and the J2 ? I believe domke cost is a killer here in Singapore .. MO anyone ;-) ... ?
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
#17
Hi

f2 is over 200 i think, current prices. i believe i got mine a few years ago cheaper but i can't really remember......

yes Domke is overpriced in Singapore. if you have friends going US or living in US, it will be cheaper to get them to buy and then bring over. B&H pricing is definitely cheaper than Cathay prices!

alternatively, one can settle for Safrotto knockoffs of the Domkes. Some say they are better made than current Domkes! not sure how true that is, but their bags are quite well thought out "improved" versions of the bags they are copying....
 

plinius

New Member
May 22, 2003
669
0
0
44
Singapore
Visit site
#18
hey dude, you are absolutely right!!! and the good thing is i'm in US now...haha...

BHPHoto is selling the F2 for slightly less than USD100, even cheaper than my 400AW!!! :dunno: ....cheap cheap...but u could get cheaper at eBay....heh.......

Cheers.........

Red Dawn said:
Hi

f2 is over 200 i think, current prices. i believe i got mine a few years ago cheaper but i can't really remember......

yes Domke is overpriced in Singapore. if you have friends going US or living in US, it will be cheaper to get them to buy and then bring over. B&H pricing is definitely cheaper than Cathay prices!

alternatively, one can settle for Safrotto knockoffs of the Domkes. Some say they are better made than current Domkes! not sure how true that is, but their bags are quite well thought out "improved" versions of the bags they are copying....
 

Status
Not open for further replies.