Alas, a D70...


Status
Not open for further replies.

dropzone

New Member
Mar 13, 2004
154
0
0
#1
After 1 month of consideration, and almost committed to buying a Sony 828, at the last minute, I bought the D70 instead. The body design and the functions of it proved too tempting. Still quite a newcomer to the world of photography, especially with DSLRs (previously using the Sony V1), hope I can learn more from Nikon Forums @ Clubsnap :)
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#3
dropzone said:
After 1 month of consideration, and almost committed to buying a Sony 828, at the last minute, I bought the D70 instead. The body design and the functions of it proved too tempting. Still quite a newcomer to the world of photography, especially with DSLRs (previously using the Sony V1), hope I can learn more from Nikon Forums @ Clubsnap :)
Big Welcome to the club. If you were to read Ken Rockwell's article on comparing dSLR and those 8Mp digicam, you'll be very happy to have made the right choice. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
 

AReality

Senior Member
Jun 9, 2003
4,458
0
0
VisualJournalist.net
#4
Welcome!!!
U just fell into a trap...
A money sucking trap.

What u need:
A large capacity CF (1GB) - $350
A camera bag - $50
A flash - $400?
A better telephoto zoom lens - $300

After that, U'll need to upgrade everything - $5000

Total : more than $6000

Good luck. ;)
 

dropzone

New Member
Mar 13, 2004
154
0
0
#5
AReality said:
Welcome!!!
U just fell into a trap...
A money sucking trap.

What u need:
A large capacity CF (1GB) - $350
A camera bag - $50
A flash - $400?
A better telephoto zoom lens - $300

After that, U'll need to upgrade everything - $5000

Total : more than $6000

Good luck. ;)
Haha! I gotten a 256MB CF Card, and got a Crumpler Bag already. Probably the next thing to get is a tele lens. I am not sure which one to get. I was shown a Nikon 70-300 ED Lens. (not sure of the exact model), I was told it costs about 500 to 600.

Anyone has good recommendations of lens to buy, budget around 600 max? 300 plus recommendation is also welcomed. :)

Regarding flash, no intention yet. Hehe....
 

hansia

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
178
0
0
East
#6
dropzone said:
Haha! I gotten a 256MB CF Card, and got a Crumpler Bag already. Probably the next thing to get is a tele lens. I am not sure which one to get. I was shown a Nikon 70-300 ED Lens. (not sure of the exact model), I was told it costs about 500 to 600.

Anyone has good recommendations of lens to buy, budget around 600 max? 300 plus recommendation is also welcomed. :)

Regarding flash, no intention yet. Hehe....
Would strongly advise you to get a second hand lens. It's entirely mechanical, so won't break down easily. My 15 years old 70-210 f/4 is still going strong! What you'd need eventually depends on your shooting style.

Once bought a Tokina 80-200 f/2.8, but realised it just wasnt my style to carry heavy loads... sold it only for $400....

Anyway, if you like the zoom to reach 300mm, then 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 is a good choice.
 

dropzone

New Member
Mar 13, 2004
154
0
0
#7
I see... I think the model is AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED. Wondering if its good enough for normal usage. And under what conditions, this zoom lens is not suitable for use. Also, is this lens able to fully utilize D70 functions?
 

hansia

New Member
Apr 27, 2004
178
0
0
East
#8
dropzone said:
I see... I think the model is AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED. Wondering if its good enough for normal usage. And under what conditions, this zoom lens is not suitable for use. Also, is this lens able to fully utilize D70 functions?
Nikon SLRs are backward compatible with all AF lenses. So it'd work on all AF lenses like AF-S, AF-D, AF.

Think the newer 70-300 ED is a plastic lens, while the old 75-300 is full metal.

At f/5.6, you need good weather conditions outdoors at ISO 200. But with very usable ISO 1600, don't think it's a big issue unless you want very very low noise images.

Check out second hand ones for the ED version. It should be quite cheap since it's usually the first zoom lens people buy, so there should be quite a lot of them in the used market. 75-300 is relatively harder to find since it was discountinued in 2000. And is supposedly a very good lens.
 

2100

Senior Member
Mar 3, 2004
3,591
0
0
48
#9
You can try out "new" lenses and see if you like them by buying 2nd hand. You won't lose much when you change lenses by selling it off at just a wee bit lower.

If you were to buy brand new, you would definitely have to sell it quite a fair bit lower.
 

Russ

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2003
1,639
0
36
Pasir Ris
Visit site
#11
You will have NO regrets going DSLR instead of prosumer.
You won't miss the extra mpix but will love the lower noise and quick response plus better lenses etc etc.
But do remember there is the dust problem
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#12
dropzone said:
I see... I think the model is AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED. Wondering if its good enough for normal usage. And under what conditions, this zoom lens is not suitable for use. Also, is this lens able to fully utilize D70 functions?
There are quite a few threads here on the 70-300 lens range. One well recommended one is the Sigma 70-300APO. Get it brand new for the price of a used Nikon ED. Make looking for your gear part of the fun.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom