Alan Photo - very bad experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan_ed

Jun 8, 2004
Singapore
Warning message to all other (like me) pasty-faced gweilos.

A little story from today.

Having bought a second-hand camera recently, whose batteries had run out, I was strolling around Funan today looking to replace the batteries. After having no luck in several stores I came to said photo shop on floor 2 of Funan shopping centre.

Imagine my glee when the salesman in the shop said he didn;t have exactly the same battery but had ones that looked exactly the same with the same specs. Willing to give them a try, I asked about the price and was told $10 each for brand X (maxell) or if I bought another brand Y it would be 2 for $18.

After having asked if this was the price for foreigners and being met with a black look from the salesman. I kindly informed that I would have lunch first and think about it. Sensing that something wasn't quite right, I headed along to Peninsula Plaza where I was offered the same brand X at a price of 2 for $3. No no, I thought, there must be some mistake. Surely the nice salesman in Alan Photo hadn't been trying to rip me off because I didn't look like a local.

Anyway, sensing that the price difference of 500+% wasn't quite justified, I returned to said shop and let them know my opinion of the whole matter, informing them of how stupid they had been - my voice may even have been a little bit louder than normal to let other shoppers in the shop know the situation and informing them they could read about their little mistake ion this forum if they want.

So, whether this is general practice or simply ripping off foreigners I cannot say but maybe this can serve as a warning, particularly, but not just, to foreigners to check prices at several different shops to make sure you know the correct price.

Really... I just brought my DSLR from there but in difference shop....

Ha.. I also had not so good experience.. once I inquired the price for 5Dmkii body..
Then I said "another shop quoted less, could you match this pricing?"
His reply was..
"U wait long" :bigeyes:.. could be direct translation from "dang goo goo" (wait long long in Hokkien)

I just left..:thumbsd:

I wonder if it is the same sales person with the wrong attitude or everyone in that shop are like that ?

Maybe u all should try to go Sim Lim de as sometime the boss will be there to spot check the sales?

Mind to tell us what battery you referring to? 2 pcs for $3? AA? AAA? Lithium?

I think it could be the sales-person.. the guy who answered me didn't smile at all at any customer that enter the shop.. few months back a lady served me and was very helpful and smiling all the time.

I think it could be the sales-person.. the guy who answered me didn't smile at all at any customer that enter the shop.. few months back a lady served me and was very helpful and smiling all the time.

Maybe that sales girl like u lol

For Alan Photo, I only go to the one located in SLS. The service there isn't that bad. On the other hand, I keep hearing the branch in Funan having all sorts of complains. Thankfully, I only go to 2 shops in funan, and if they don't have the stuffs I want, I will only walk over to TCW to check out.

It was 2 small batteries for an old Leica camera.

.... I returned to said shop and let them know my opinion of the whole matter, informing them of how stupid they had been - my voice may even have been a little bit louder than normal to let other shoppers in the shop know the situation and informing them they could read about their little mistake ion this forum if they want.

*CLAP* *CLAP* *CLAP* :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you! Thank you! You did everyone, including Singapore, a great favour by shaming such recalcitrant shops!

Don't tell me you walk into a camera shop to buy two CR button batteries, if that is the case, it would be very carroty.

My angmoh colleague also did that the same and at Funan Song Brother which fortunately did not have. I later brought him to another hardware store in Funan and got a whole pack of it.

so far i dun have any problem wif them...:think:

but leh, somehow muz talk to them in a more ah beng style...:sweat:

so far i dun have any problem wif them...:think:

but leh, somehow muz talk to them in a more ah beng style...:sweat:

yes i agreed! once they even tried to charge me $20 for a normal hoya filter 52mm that i could easily get outside for $10? asked the uncle what difference then he came up with a whole lot of crap...

frankly speaking i already give up on the customer service of photography shop... i also couldn't be bother... twice have i been stared and questioned by the sales person (at different occasion) as if i dun have money to buy the "stuff" i ask for... i wanted to get a tripod head and he say "u sure u wanna try, $100 leh? you sure u wanna try $100 leh?" ... as if by repeating the price can be lowered...

i have also been quoted $100 (not AP) when the stuff (lens adapter) is only cost $25 at other shop

so... i usually dun bother with the service and just do my homework and go for the cheap price

I have been living and travelling overseas for a long period of time, and let be honest, there are a lot of shops in EU countries that are a total rip-off too. I have been to places where a 500ml bottle of water is 4 euros in a touristic area. There are no other shops around. U feel thirsty, u have to fork out 4 euros. (the same bottle of water cost only 1 euro in a 24hr store)

While we are here feeling sorry for foreigners, numerous countrymen/heart-landers of yours are regularly ripped off in their countries too. An for information, neither do they provide good service. they are as ill-mannered as our ah-beng. Thats life :)

Last edited:
Ha.. I also had not so good experience.. once I inquired the price for 5Dmkii body..
Then I said "another shop quoted less, could you match this pricing?"
His reply was..
"U wait long" :bigeyes:.. could be direct translation from "dang goo goo" (wait long long in Hokkien)

I just left..:thumbsd:

just curious, if the previous shop quote u a cheaper price, y didnt u buy from there but instead asked AP to match? are u trying to use the AP quote and ask the previous shop to lower the price? :think:

I have been living and travelling overseas for a long period of time, and let be honest, there are a lot of shops in EU countries that are a total rip-off too. I have been to places where a 500ml bottle of water is 4 euros in a touristic area. There are no other shops around. U feel thirsty, u have to fork out 4 euros. (the same bottle of water cost only 1 euro in a 24hr store)
that is different, the locals know to steer clear of such an area. i mean, if you waltz to disneyland paris to get a drink of water, you should know what's coming next. or the trevi fountain in italy.

that said, one should always do his homework.

me, i steer clear of alan photo. and a few other shops.

i remember i went in the funan branch's AP to ask about diffuser....but that salesman gave me a disgusting look. i never ever went in again.

For Alan Photo, I only go to the one located in SLS. The service there isn't that bad. On the other hand, I keep hearing the branch in Funan having all sorts of complains. Thankfully, I only go to 2 shops in funan, and if they don't have the stuffs I want, I will only walk over to TCW to check out.
Agree. :thumbsup:
The shop in Funan have a bad reputation as compared to shops like John 3:16 in Funan. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.