Akarui e50d Dry Cabinet Power Automatic Off

nellehs

Jun 4, 2018
I have a Akarui e50d dry cabinet. I'm not sure if it's working fine. I turned it to M, and the power was on. It was maintained at 40-50%. However, after a few hours, I think when RH value is reached, it auto off and it goes back to 35%. I thought it was not working, and I adjust the settings, the light was turn back on and the meter start moving. Any idea why would it be like this?

it auto off and it goes back to 35%
What exactly do you mean? Ambient relative humidity in Singapore is about 80%. Target for dry cabinets should be around 50% or less. So when your dry cabinet shows a reading of 35% it is a clear sign that the dehumidifier works.
One thing to take note: if you use aircon at home, the ambient relative humidity in the room will be around 50%. That's normal and a side effect of the aircon. In such an environment, the dry cabinet has little to work. Depending on what type of dry cabinet you have, there are two scenarios:
1) Dry cabinet is a simple one without self-regulation: the dry cabinet will continue to work despite the aircon, the resulting RH will be low (down to 30%)
2) Dry cabinet has self-regulation: Once the set target RH is reached, it will just switch off. It will come back once the ambient RH exceeds the settings.

Akarui analogue models (not digital display) just have a generic H-M-L setting, it will switch off when the target RH is reached. After the RH stabilizes, if it is still too low or high then set it accordingly (I just set it to M and it has been working well for few years so I can't remember which direction sets and lower RH target)

Yours sounds like it is working fine

I have a Akarui e50d dry cabinet. I'm not sure if it's working fine. I turned it to M, and the power was on. It was maintained at 40-50%. However, after a few hours, I think when RH value is reached, it auto off and it goes back to 35%. I thought it was not working, and I adjust the settings, the light was turn back on and the meter start moving. Any idea why would it be like this?

The reason for using a dry cab is to ensure you store your photographic equipment within 45-55%RH (relative humidity) as Sg's humidity ranges from 80% - 75% for dry days. That's why a hygrometer is provided to check if it's on track or off. There is a similar story here (click link) about the 35 degree celcius reading so to actually know whether the analogue (needle type) meter is accurate I suggest getting a standalone hygrometer which mostly have a digital readout (about $20+) from sim lim tower ,shop around for best price and design.

In the world of precision measurement you will be using the standalone hygrometer as an accurate Transfer standard or reference relatively speaking. Allow 24 hours or days to check humidity reading some meters respond (change reading) faster than others so need to be patient. This gives you confidence that you have set the humidity to your target range.

I have two meters in addition to the built-in one. As time went by I now know the built in meter is off by 5% points reading whereas
the newer meters are just 1% difference between them. The built in meter reads 41% and the other two is now reading 47%. Which meter is more correct? :) Your 35% reading is suspect! Of course I can adjust the meter but I leave it at that.

The method of display (analogue versus digital) does not say anything about actual measuring accuracy and I would caution against the assumption that a $20 item from some hardware shop provides any level of accuracy. Without a clear and absolute reference point all these cheap hygrometers have equal chances of being wrong. The reasonable way to verify hygrometer accuracy is the salt test. The test if used with household salt (NaCl) will create a RH of 75%. If one uses an analog hygrometer then the needle can be tuned to target. Not sure whether the digital ones have that option.
The temperature reading is irrelevant for the cameras and storing. It is, however, necessary for stating Relative Humidity since this measurement figure is only valid with a temperature statement. Hence, most dry cabinets show RH and temperature together.
Relative Humidity and Salt test:
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Understanding-Relative-Humidity-and-the-Hygrometer.aspx
https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-calibrate-a-hygrometer-1239116

About accuracy...cheap instruments are all we can afford and manufactures calibrate them with their own reference standards (or at least by field tests and repeatability to a consistant standard which may not be absolute) .We have to trust someone of course we can verify using various methods like a salt test.

Some users assume that calibration will leave an instrument "reading right".
Not nececssarily- calibration is not the same as adjustment. (Beginner's guide to humidity measurement,Chapter6,pg.11)

A check is not calibration. But checks against another instrument (if available) are highly useful.A check can help- in assessing whether a hygrometer is functioning as expected, and whether repair or recalibration is needed.

Uncertainty of measurement
Every measurement is subject to some uncertainty,expressed as +/- ,at a level
of confidence(usually 95%). For example, "50% RH =/-3%Rh at a level of confidence of 95% means we are 95% sure the true value is between 47%Rh and 53%Rh.(chap.6.2 pg.12).

http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/Beginner's guide to humidity measurement (draft for comment).pdf

http://archive.sensorsmag.com/articles/0997/humidity/main.shtml

Some users assume that calibration will leave an instrument "reading right".
Not nececssarily- calibration is not the same as adjustment. (Beginner's guide to humidity measurement,Chapter6,pg.11)
Didn't you just mix both terms up nicely? If calibration does make an instrument 'reading right' then what else? :D
No point of further elaboration with 5 paragraphs, it won't help or add any value to photography and storing of equipment.

What exactly do you mean? Ambient relative humidity in Singapore is about 80%. Target for dry cabinets should be around 50% or less. So when your dry cabinet shows a reading of 35% it is a clear sign that the dehumidifier works.
One thing to take note: if you use aircon at home, the ambient relative humidity in the room will be around 50%. That's normal and a side effect of the aircon. In such an environment, the dry cabinet has little to work. Depending on what type of dry cabinet you have, there are two scenarios:
1) Dry cabinet is a simple one without self-regulation: the dry cabinet will continue to work despite the aircon, the resulting RH will be low (down to 30%)
2) Dry cabinet has self-regulation: Once the set target RH is reached, it will just switch off. It will come back once the ambient RH exceeds the settings.

My dry cabinet shows 35% once the power auto-off. However, when I open the cabinet, the meter will go slightly higher, because of humidity went it. I read some comments that to store cameras, the dry cabinet should maintained at 40-50%. Doesn't mean that I have to keep opening the cabinet to let the air in, so that the meter would move? I thought it would usually maintain as 40-50% as long I don't open it.

The method of display (analogue versus digital) does not say anything about actual measuring accuracy and I would caution against the assumption that a $20 item from some hardware shop provides any level of accuracy. Without a clear and absolute reference point all these cheap hygrometers have equal chances of being wrong. The reasonable way to verify hygrometer accuracy is the salt test. The test if used with household salt (NaCl) will create a RH of 75%. If one uses an analog hygrometer then the needle can be tuned to target. Not sure whether the digital ones have that option.
The temperature reading is irrelevant for the cameras and storing. It is, however, necessary for stating Relative Humidity since this measurement figure is only valid with a temperature statement. Hence, most dry cabinets show RH and temperature together.
Relative Humidity and Salt test:
https://www.sciencecompany.com/Understanding-Relative-Humidity-and-the-Hygrometer.aspx
https://www.thesprucepets.com/how-to-calibrate-a-hygrometer-1239116

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to use the salt test to see if its working. However do I need to set the settings to H, M or L?

My dry cabinet shows 35% once the power auto-off. However, when I open the cabinet, the meter will go slightly higher, because of humidity went it. I read some comments that to store cameras, the dry cabinet should maintained at 40-50%. Doesn't mean that I have to keep opening the cabinet to let the air in, so that the meter would move? I thought it would usually maintain as 40-50% as long I don't open it.
From what I read online, your type of dry cabinet seems to be the simple 'always on' version, comparable to the Digicabi AD Series. You can read more here:
https://www.clubsnap.com/threads/sharing-my-research-on-dry-cabinets.481380/
In short, the dehumidifier works always. You need to find the balance point where 'drying power' and humidity coming in from outside are in balance at the desired RH level. This requires some trial and testing. I would do some simple testing: once your reading says RH 35% simply open the door for some minutes, let humid air come in. Close the door and observe the RH reading. It should go up to 50% or higher and the dehumidifier should start working. After some hours, the reading is back to 35%. If this works, your dry cabinet is working fine. Now, you can adjust the power.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will try to use the salt test to see if its working. However do I need to set the settings to H, M or L?
RH readings of 35% are fine. Contrary to some beliefs, lower humidity does not affect or spoil today's camera equipment. If you want to adjust, let the RH meter go up, turn the knob a bit towards H or L and observe where the reading settles after 24h.