airtight box + thirsty hippos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokka

Aug 17, 2002
terencesim.com
in this scenario, will the thirsty hippo suck up all the water inside the air tight box, thus resulting in the mechanisms of the camera not functioning properly due to too much friction?

probably. the thirsty hippo could possibly result in a lower than ideal relative humidity level, resulting in drying up of the oil and grease within cameras and lenses.

wacko said:
probably. the thirsty hippo could possibly result in a lower than ideal relative humidity level, resulting in drying up of the oil and grease within cameras and lenses.

is there an ideal humidity level for dry cabinets then? what %?

where sells cheap electronic dry box?

I'm not sure if thirsty hippos emit any other chemical besides sucking water. Better be safe than sorry. Use proper Sillica Gel instead.

i would advise to get a proper dry cabinet if u are looking for long term storage for ur gear.
i receive a quote from AM pro that list a 55litre dry cabinet selling for $165.

jasonpgc said:
I'm not sure if thirsty hippos emit any other chemical besides sucking water. Better be safe than sorry. Use proper Sillica Gel instead.
what makes you think silica gel will not do the same, esp if you have doubts about thirsty hippos?

im using that combo... ampro drybox + hungry hippo... registered a 0% humidity! oh dear i didnt know is better at 40%... anyway as a chem eng student, i dun think there are other chem release from calcium chloride and zeolite... mixing with moisture(H20)

hmmm, we have 2 users with 2 very different results... wonder whose RH meter is the more accurate one... heh

OT: CoExist, hungry hippo is a cute board/tabletop game for kids. :sweatsm:

:embrass:
no shit... im deprived from childhood games. having that hungry thought for thirsty hippo...

wacko said:
what makes you think silica gel will not do the same, esp if you have doubts about thirsty hippos?

http://www.taylorflooringtools.com/tftmkmsd.html

SECTION 7 Storage and Special Information
Keep in a tightly closed container, stored in a cool, dry, ventilated area. Protect against physical damage. Moist calcium chloride and concentrated solutions can corrode steel. When exposed to the atmosphere, calcium chloride will absorb water and form a solution.

The above extract from the URL.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/s1610.htm

As far as I'm concern, Silica Gel has very mild chemical content, it is very stable and it will not generate dust or corrosion if a leakage occur.

It is just my preference to be on the safe side, its perfectly fine for me if you insisted on storing the acidic substance together with your $$$$ lens :bsmilie:

:eek: talk about paranoia, the thirsty hippo does come in a leak-proof container. i think we should concentrate on the topic here, we are talking about the effectiveness of thirsty hippos as a dessicator, not the potential hazards of it (which is inconsequential unless you tamper with the packaging).

so what's the verdict? isn't Nikonian Foo worried that his hygrometer may be giving the wrong reading?

heh, think its better to invest in an electronic dry box long run. does it consume alot of electricity? i remember reading some threads on it somewhere..but somehow..cannot find it liao. :rolleyes:

Pokka said:
heh, think its better to invest in an electronic dry box long run. does it consume alot of electricity? i remember reading some threads on it somewhere..but somehow..cannot find it liao. :rolleyes:
it is very low, less than $5 a month if i recall my calculations vaguely...

wacko said:
hmmm, we have 2 users with 2 very different results... wonder whose RH meter is the more accurate one... heh

OT: CoExist, hungry hippo is a cute board/tabletop game for kids. :sweatsm:
I believe it depends on the size of the air-tight box.

I once poured too much silica gel into my dry box (abt a handful) and the built-in hygrometer registered 10%.

But after a few days, it went to 40-50%.

I did consider thirsty hippo, but it was
a) too big and will take up a lot of space in my dry box.
b) costly compared to a $3 bottle of silica gel
c) unable to re-use (silica gel can re-heat and re-use)

Mostly reason (a) is a big enough reason for me to rule it out.

As for dry cabinet, I think it's still costly if you don't have a lot of equipment.
If you only have 1 SLR with only 1-2 lens, it is cheaper to use drybox.
Unless you have lens worth thousands of $$$ like 80-200mm f/2.8..etc

wacko said:
it is very low, less than $5 a month if i recall my calculations vaguely...
wow...$5/mth!! that's a lot.

It works out to $60 per year. more expensive than the $2/mth you pay to maintain minimum sum in banks and the $24/year annual fee for credit cards...

Silica gel = $3. (even if never use 'gas' or 'electricity' to re-heat and re-use)
I have yet to use up half a bottle in my 3 months so far.

2 bottles ($6) should last for a year for me.

oops, it's more around the region of $5 per year...

30L dry cabinets are rated at around 4W, that makes (4/1000)*24*365=35.04kWh usage per year. Current elec. tariffs of $0.1656 will result in a elec. bill of $5.80 for a year's usage.

quite cheap lah. :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.