Airports around the world "The Hall of Shame"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
What is most impressionable when you travel, I say bad airports, they brand the bad memories into your brain.

Let's stick with international airports, otherwise, every domestic airport in the US will be high on the list. Please limit your list to the Hall of Shame to 3-5. Give reasons and experiences why it deserved to be on the list. Have fun.

In no particular order.

Los Angeles (LAX)
This is the top of my list due largely to the worst immigration and custom experiences for any traveler, including US citizens, in the US. Why is that so, I have no idea, but, I will avoid flying thru LA at all cost. Getting from terminal to terminal is a chore, but not as bad as JFK. There are no public transportation to the airport that is convenient. You drive, call for a limo or wave a taxi, all expensive options. Once there, it's huge, spread out, just like LA, I hope you did not get off the wrong entrance. Good luck.

New York (JFK)
You better connect via the same airline, otherwise you will have to battle the archaic shuttle system at JKF, probably the worst in the world (among large hubs, worst is Sydney). Going from a terminal to another, you have to battle traffic, and the shuttle runs in one direction. Just imagine, you need to go to the terminal the shuttled jsut came from. Sit back, have a senic tour of the airport. The immigration and custom services, is probably second worst in the US.

Heathrow (LHR)
Congestion, congestion and congestion. If you are not flying BA, you are SOOL. Trying to walk from one terminal to another, I hope you are in good shape. It's not a walk, it's a hike. The security procedures and policies at Heathrow is just too draconian. I had been trying to avoid thi sairport like a plague.

Charles de Gaul (CDG)
This is the most unorganized airport on earth. On a recent trip, I had the good fortune to fly into CDG twice. First time, arriving on an A380 on SQ, my bags came out of 2 different belts, one reserve for premium passengers (First/Business/Global Services) the the other for the rest. I am lucky to be a Global Service member, so, one piece came out as expected, but the other was no where to be seen. After a long wait, the 2nd one came out from the other belt. Oh well, they arrived. On the 2nd arrival, there were baggages from 3 different flights being sent onto the belt simultaneously. And it was not first in first out. The check in and boarding process is just as messy. Why was this not unexpected :)

Last but not least, Chennai (our you can fill in Mumbai or Deli).
A total mess is all I can say.

Heathrow (LHR)
Congestion, congestion and congestion. If you are not flying BA, you are SOOL. Trying to walk from one terminal to another, I hope you are in good shape. It's not a walk, it's a hike. The security procedures and policies at Heathrow is just too draconian. I had been trying to avoid thi sairport like a plague.

Heathrow is death! :bsmilie:

Los Angeles (LAX)
This is the top of my list due largely to the worst immigration and custom experiences for any traveler, including US citizens, in the US. Why is that so, I have no idea, but, I will avoid flying thru LA at all cost. Getting from terminal to terminal is a chore, but not as bad as JFK. There are no public transportation to the airport that is convenient. You drive, call for a limo or wave a taxi, all expensive options. Once there, it's huge, spread out, just like LA, I hope you did not get off the wrong entrance. Good luck.

LA is worst for me. Big airport with Poor sign posting. Almost got loss there

I try my very best not to go through CDG...that place is a nightmare. I've experienced pretty much everything that Deadpoet have gone through there.

for heathrow, I found it less pleasant when trying to enter the country. The officer (understandable is doing their job, but still) ask a lot question to non Caucasian, before letting us go in their country.

The airport terminal 3 is crowded, but maybe I haven't be 'pampered' too much with other best airport around the world, thus I find it still acceptable.

Yes, LAX is bad. I will always prefer going through SFO for US trips

CDG is bad.....there are always unorganised queues at every checkpoint.

Delhi airport is like going back in time.......

Frankfurt airport - had bad experience with the immigration officials

Immigration : What are you here for?
Me: Business meetings
Immigration : (in raised and sneering voice) Meeting? Meeting with who? My grandfather?! :confused:

Mumbai International Airport......... one BIG FAT MIDDLE FINGER UP every time I get in and out of that hell hole nowadays .... oh thats an improvement from 13-15 years back when I prayed for someone to just bulldoze the damn place to the ground ...

oh oh oh..... maybe I should take that back..... Mumbai International Airport .....truly one of the BEST places to actually do street photography ............ IN the airport

Envy for anyone who have had a good experience at this airport ......... maybe its just my very bad karma with this airport

I truly love India actually.... just very sad that they have such an atrocious flight hub

Last edited:
Completely agree about Heathrow, LAX and CDG. They were built by aliens who do not travel with bags, no need to use toilets, can levitate in mid-air while waiting 5 hours for the connecting flight, etc etc..

Quick one: Which airports have the longest immigration queue? For me it's a toss-up between SFO, Heathrow (gawd I hate this airport), and... Shanghai or BJS... One queue for everyone...

If there is a poll on which airport has the worst Krisflyer lounge, I vote LAX and Heathrow. These are not lounges, they are cubicles with breadcrumbs for sustenance...

heathrow T5 is just horrible,

being a new airport it totally is unacceptable,

and the system seems to be quite a fail,

and terminal 2 is honestly worst or as bad, but acceptably since it's older, but for terminal 5...

speechless. the worst thing experienced there was when flying from there to zurich, only one check-in counter was opened,

causing the entire queue to jam up... and there seems to be no "quick lane" for premium passengers there ( like PPS, or Marco Polo Diamond),

and also the fast drop baggage lane seems to be so damn slow, it shouldn't be called a fast drop lane.

Mumbai International Airport......... one BIG FAT MIDDLE FINGER UP every time I get in and out of that hell hole nowadays .... oh thats an improvement from 13-15 years back when I prayed for someone to just bulldoze the damn place to the ground ...

oh oh oh..... maybe I should take that back..... Mumbai International Airport .....truly one of the BEST places to actually do street photography ............ IN the airport

Envy for anyone who have had a good experience at this airport ......... maybe its just my very bad karma with this airport

I truly love India actually.... just very sad that they have such an atrocious flight hub

I agreed that Mumbai International Airport is one of the worst airport I have been to. The moment you stepped into the airport, you can described yourself as being confined inside. No entertainment, poor welfare, and worst, you cannot get out of the airport. And if you have to wait for hours for your next flight, then good luck to you.

There are virtually not much info to inform you which gate you exit to take a transist bus to another airport. It would be quite disasterous if you got out of the wrong gate - the airport police WILL NOT allow you do make a U-turn back into the airport. It does not help if you explain to them how pityful you are - they just wont listen. Worst of all, that gate will be very congested with alot of indian passengers and their families and friends, so it is very hectic. The only solution is to hire a tutu car to bring you back to your transist airport.

Other than the airport, India is a nice place to travel.

I remembered I was at a school trip in Europe and at the Frankfurt airport on the way back I had a couple of friends who were practically interrogated by the people chopping the stamps/checking passport, as if they were terrorists (we were all only 15 btw). Oh, and they spelt Singapore wrongly there too lolol.

Washington Dulles (IAD) is bad. You have to take the "moon buggies" to get from terminal to terminal. Plus the airport is so far away from downtown DC (no subway or rail).

The last time i was at Frankfurt it was pretty terribad. They were doing UPGRADINGWORK ADMIST PEAK HOUR TIMES. People who love to squeeze with other people while caring bags would love it.

OT:
Anyway i'll be flying off to Dubai > Munich on wednesday. Their airports have good reviews so far, see how. I'll update. haha.

Mumbai International Airport is very sad.....

I mean.... it should not be

1. Its the financial capital of India
2. home to Bollywood, SRK and all the top movie stars
3. home to the bulk of India's wealthiest people
4. home to some of the most EXPENSIVE 5 star to ZERO star hotels in ALL ASIA
5. home to some of the country's most prominent and largest Conglomerates
6. has some of the highest economic growth rates

The whole city is sloshing around in wealth...... there is NO EXCUSE why its airport is a piece of sh*te ...... this airport would feel perfectly ...and appropriately.... at home if transplanted in Ethopia, ....

Just the thought of it each time makes my blood steam kekekeke.... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i've been to Brunei Airport, i can't say that it's terrible, just no customs nothing loh. It's just a glass wall between check-in and outside world.

Heathrow airport is very bad.

The toilets were not working, bad immigration officers and badly designed airport.

We had to line up to the stairs to checkin and clear security.

UK border control, I had to show a letter where I was staying, the amount of money I had and credit cards.

Last edited:
Heathrow airport is very bad.

The toilets were not working, bad immigration officers and badly designed airport.

We had to line up to the stairs to checkin and clear security.

UK border control, I had to show a letter where I was staying, the amount of money I had and credit cards.

second this.

many have said this as well, and the problems vary so much it's nearly impossible to list.

maybe the heathrow airport management should start looking into their problems instead of building more terminals.

What is most impressionable when you travel, I say bad airports, they brand the bad memories into your brain.

Let's stick with international airports, otherwise, every domestic airport in the US will be high on the list. Please limit your list to the Hall of Shame to 3-5. Give reasons and experiences why it deserved to be on the list. Have fun.

In no particular order.

Los Angeles (LAX)

New York (JFK)
You better connect via the same airline, otherwise you will have to battle the archaic shuttle system at JKF, probably the worst in the world (among large hubs, worst is Sydney). Going from a terminal to another, you have to battle traffic, and the shuttle runs in one direction. Just imagine, you need to go to the terminal the shuttled jsut came from. Sit back, have a senic tour of the airport. The immigration and custom services, is probably second worst in the US.

Heathrow (LHR)

Charles de Gaul (CDG)
This is the most unorganized airport on earth. On a recent trip, I had the good fortune to fly into CDG twice. First time, arriving on an A380 on SQ, my bags came out of 2 different belts, one reserve for premium passengers (First/Business/Global Services) the the other for the rest. I am lucky to be a Global Service member, so, one piece came out as expected, but the other was no where to be seen. After a long wait, the 2nd one came out from the other belt. Oh well, they arrived. On the 2nd arrival, there were baggages from 3 different flights being sent onto the belt simultaneously. And it was not first in first out. The check in and boarding process is just as messy. Why was this not unexpected :)

Last but not least, Chennai (our you can fill in Mumbai or Deli).
A total mess is all I can say.

Agreed, i myself a citizen despise LAX, clearing customs even for us is a nightmare, when i fly back to the states, i fly to John Wayne International Airport instead which is much better, Tried SFO once, but driving 6 hours down to LA is no joke for my folks :bsmilie:, Taxies from LAX into the City are really expensive too , at least 50USD, but JFK is worse, they charge per person about 30USD, but the drives really long to manhattan from JFk, about 1 hour pus, personally JFK isnt that bad compared to heathrow, i feel that CDG is the worst, cause everything is in french and it pisses me off, worst part CDG lost my luggage twice!

Status
Not open for further replies.