Airlines that insist camera worn around neck is part of carry on weight limit.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
There are times when wearing camera around neck can shave off a few kg from the carry on limit. However are there any airlines you have been on that insist it's still part of the carry on weight? Asking because will be travelling carry on only.

There are times when wearing camera around neck can shave off a few kg from the carry on limit. However are there any airlines you have been on that insist it's still part of the carry on weight? Asking because will be travelling carry on only.

What lens is attached ?

50mm or a 600MM Super Tele..... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

AM SURE within reason no one will ever ask.

Like Reportage mentioned, it depends on your setup.

Here's one example of what one airline allows you to carry freehand in addition to the 1pc allowance.

In addition to your hand baggage allowance, you can also carry personal items such as one ladies handbag or one small briefcase, one coat, cape or blanket, one umbrella, one pair of crutches or walking stick, one small camera or binoculars, limited reading material, an infant’s carrying basket, and duty-free items purchased on the day of your flight.

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.page

Airline staff probably have the flexibility within their guidelines for interpretation, but if you're looking to "shave off a few kg", I'm guessing it's unlikely to be a 'small' setup :bsmilie:

I would just put it in the bag, as wearing a large/heavy setup around your neck will be more likely to draw attention to it, and will look quite obvious that you're trying to 'siam' the weight limit.

Last edited:
I carried my full load at 12kg without any issue, but I did carry a full backpack of it and most of the time they let me pass. I normally explain that it is too fragile to be checked in.

More than 10 flights without issue.

Last trip, I having 25Kg of equipments with me but in two bags. Hardly they will know that the lenses does weight a lot, esp those prime or fast lens. Not to include some sensitive stuffs like time lapse machines, which not worth to check in.

In the future, esp with a big 500mm f4, I might have some troubles, finger cross. :(

Wear a photo vest where you can carry lens and aux stuffs on pockets. You can even put a pro body on one of the big pocket.

Like this?

$funny_photographer-1.jpg

More like would you resort to this if airline was strict on carryon weight?
0712_luggage_clothes_630x420.jpg
Screen-shot-2010-10-14-at-11.47.28-AM-300x296.png

Basically trying to find out which airlines are so strict on weight that might be a good idea to bring a photo vest there to save weight.

Last edited:
No issue so far.

I even had a friend who got into trouble with overweight hand carry. In the end he just had his D4s with 400/2.8 slung around his shoulder. Drew some eyeballs but no issues after that.

Last edited:

Best to call the airlines to check...I actually went to Vietnam with my dslr n my tripod...from sg to ho chi minh was fine..but from ho chi minh to hanoi I had to pack my tripod into my luggage..after I called jet star they said it's actually recommended to carry ur fragile gear on hand or with ur bag pack...if there's double standards u can shoot back the check in staff..but by right.they will let u carry on gears which FIT the carry on baggage size limit. ..for camera weights I don't think u would be using a huge lens to board the plane?

Last edited:
Best to call the airlines to check...I actually went to Vietnam with my dslr n my tripod...from sg to ho chi minh was fine..but from ho chi minh to hanoi I had to pack my tripod into my luggage..after I called jet star they said it's actually recommended to carry ur fragile gear on hand or with ur bag pack...if there's double standards u can argue with them..for camera weights I don't think u would be using a huge lens to board the plane?

Tripod for hand carry is actually a restriction imposed by the airport not the airline. All airports in vietnam will require you check in your tripod as checked baggage. It is especially strict in HCM airport. So best pack it into your luggage. There are many other airports that also do not allow tripod as hand carry, you can check them out here in this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294592

Last edited:
Tripod for hand carry is actually a restriction imposed by the airport not the airline. All airports in vietnam will require you check in your tripod as checked baggage. So best pack it into your luggage. There are many other airports that also do not allow tripod as hand carry, you can check them out here in this thread:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294592

That's quite crap though..after seeing how some baggage handlers throw around ur luggage and all..wouldn't want my cf tripod to be in pieces.

That's quite crap though..after seeing how some baggage handlers throw around ur luggage and all..wouldn't want my cf tripod to be in pieces.

I have traveled with tripods packed into luggage with sizes ranging from traveler tripods, to full systematic series 5 for birding. From aluminum, basalt to carbon fiber ones. So far I never had any damage whatsoever, even when my baggage is mishandled, with breakages and wheels missing. I think it really comes down to how you pack your luggage.

Remove the head and keep it in the hand luggage. The rest is very sturdy. If unsure, wrap something around the tripod (towel, some pants etc). No issues for those cases (Vietnam, Air Asia in MY domestic flight) where I had to check in my tripod.
Don't forget the Allan key :)

I brought 2 tripods for my previous trip n try to "protect" them with cloths inside my check in luggage as tripod not allow in BA. Ended up over weight n luckily, I am entitled to 2 bags. So, I took out the cheaper one, put inside havesack n pray that still there when I collect the bag as it's not lock. Still there but if it's the more expensive one, maybe not.

Remove the head and keep it in the hand luggage. The rest is very sturdy. If unsure, wrap something around the tripod (towel, some pants etc). No issues for those cases (Vietnam, Air Asia in MY domestic flight) where I had to check in my tripod.
Don't forget the Allan key :)

My tripod is a Manfrotto. When I fly with my tripod, I usually do what you do - wrap it with some of my clothes and check it in with my luggage. My luggage comprises one backpack. So far, so good. No problems with my tripod; it is still sturdy as ever.

unfortunate for me, emirates only allow 7kg carry on and my backpack usually is at 6.8-6.9 worth of lens and body. batteries and other stuff would be in my luggage. tripods and gorillapod or chargers are all in the check-in luggage. layer the outer part with clothes or similar then tripod on it. Also, avoid having a super large luggage with space for the tripod to fall around. a suitable size is quite crucial.

I would sling the heaviest setup that isn't too big with me onto the plane. 1DX with 16-35mk2 or of similar. that saved me 2.3kg from my carry on.